Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #211
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
The Pocket Edge comes with very little apps space, so that can present probs sometimes with being able to DL or install a few that need to be put on internal area.
I had run into the same space issue in general and ended up doing the Moving Apps to SD modification. Works like a charm and I have so much more stuff (read junk LOL) installed. Try it if you're feeling the crunch.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #212
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
I had run into the same space issue in general and ended up doing the Moving Apps to SD modification. Works like a charm and I have so much more stuff (read junk LOL) installed. Try it if you're feeling the crunch.
Thanks, I had seen that about the text changes in files and thought I'd try it sometime, but I remember the advisory that we always have that SD card in there when booting up, and I am absent minded but there's no reason to take it out either, so eventually I'll do it. Appreciate the reminder.

I don't know why but I find it a really fun device despite the resolution of the screen not being as good as on the NookColor (and being a bit balky on touch but I use the stylus even on the LCD side now). The software guys thought of so much that's unique.

I love that it has both a useful USB port and the micro one for transferring files besides.

Haven't tried the webcam.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #213
florob
florob began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Hi everybody.
This is my first post in this treasure like forum and I'm Italian, so I apologize in advance for any mistake both technical and linguistic.
Let's go straight to the point: reading the pages of this topic, I've tried to update to ermine, but nothing seems to happen.
What I did:
1) download the file p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip
2) rename update (the extension code .zip should be authomatic, since I work under windows)
3) copy the file in the root of a 8G USB
4) insert the USB in the EDGE to check the file was named OK
5) turn off the PE with USB inside
6) turn on the PE pressing menu and rotate contemporarily
The "strange things":
a) when I downloaded the file it said something as "unexpected end of the file"
b) when I put the USB the PE does not ask me to mount it (but this could be normal)
What happens
The PE just keep booting and rebooting, without any apparent change.
As someone said "Is there anything I should do?"
When am I wrong?
Thanks for your help in advance.
florob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #214
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by florob View Post
Hi everybody.

The "strange things":
a) when I downloaded the file it said something as "unexpected end of the file"
Make sure that the file is downloaded correctly. You can test by seeing if you can unzip the file. If the file unzipps fine then you're OK, but if not, then download it again from a good connection. Don't try to update with a bogus file since the update process will need to unzip it anyways.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #215
florob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Make sure that the file is downloaded correctly. You can test by seeing if you can unzip the file. If the file unzipps fine then you're OK, but if not, then download it again from a good connection. Don't try to update with a bogus file since the update process will need to unzip it anyways.
Thanks a lot, I wil suddenly do that.
Anyway, I am supposed to leave the file zip, am I not?
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #216
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by florob View Post
Thanks a lot, I wil suddenly do that.
Anyway, I am supposed to leave the file zip, am I not?
Yes you are, the updater is looking for a file named update.zip.

You don't actually have to unzip it to check, just use winzip or winrar to view the file - it should contain several ziped files. If there is a problem with the zip file both of those programs will inform you of the fact.

The problem you describe is typical of a dud file. The reason the file you downloaded may be dud are legion - ranging from a momentary break in connection between your computer and the server to windows having a sulk for a moment
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #217
florob

Hi guys, I successfully and satisfactorily upgraded to Ermine.
The problem was actually in the download of the zip file, which gave me that odd warning.
I just wanted to thank you all for the great job you are doing.
Now, even if I can't directly access to Android market, I've got a new world to explore.
I'll keep in touch,
Roberto
Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #218
waternoice
waternoice began at the beginning.

Device: none
After attempting to update my friend's pocket eDGe about 12 times, and reading over every single post here (thank you) I determined that I was not doing anything wrong.
I downloaded the file from the torrent, and various other sources - fc said files were identical, so that was never a problem

hint: if you cannot open update.zip on your windows computer, or on the eDGe itself, the file is corrupt. If you can open the update.zip file, it is fine.
LOST.DIR is perfectly normal. just leave it be.

I reformatted my USB stick (512MB) as FAT, FAT32 - didn't matter

on a whim, I dug up another USB stick (1GB), FAT32, full of files - didn't even bother to format it.
put update.zip on it and it worked on the first try.

So, my advice: try several USB sticks!
waternoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #219
shenawi
shenawi began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Arabic support

Hi everyone

I've got an Entourage Edge just yesterday and I'm OK with Dingo, but the problem is I can't read and write Arabic.
My question is: Does Ermine support reading and writing Arabic?

Thanks,
shenawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #220
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
do not know and really do not care.
was not designed for arabic market and I do not think entorage cared about this.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #221
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
do not know and really do not care.
Was that response really necessary? Granted he should have started a new thread for this new topic.

I do not know if this will work, but I did a google search and came up with quite a few links for android support for arabic language. Here is one such link Give it a try and report back to let others know your findings. I'm sure there are others who are interested in this or something similar.

Not having tried it myself, here is what you'd need to do. Go to the link above and go the the generic download link Unzip the file. Copy the two files in the lib directory to your /system/lib directory. Note you'll need to be rooted for this to work. Also I would rename the existing files first because they will be overwritten. See if that will work.

This basically overwrites libskia.so and libwebcore.so

Last edited by tekknogenius; 12-21-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #222
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenawi View Post
Hi everyone

I've got an Entourage Edge just yesterday and I'm OK with Dingo, but the problem is I can't read and write Arabic.
My question is: Does Ermine support reading and writing Arabic?

Thanks,
Hi Shenawi, and welcome!

I think someone else asked that very question some time ago. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Edit: Here's one thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137451, and here's another: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144605. But probably tekknogenius has already given you a good answer!

One thing, if you have the bigger eDGe, the EE, make sure any upgrades/changes are for that and not for the Pocket eDGe.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Filark; 12-21-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #223
shenawi

Many thanks for TEKKNOGENIUS and FILARK. vicinc NO COMMENT.

Can any one (Except vicinc) has Ermine check if his EE support Arabic?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #224
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenawi View Post
Many thanks for TEKKNOGENIUS and FILARK. vicinc NO COMMENT.

Can any one (Except vicinc) has Ermine check if his EE support Arabic?
From what I can see, not directly out of the box. As far as I know Android does support Arabic so I assume it would be a matter of finding the dictionaries and fonts, doing code page switching and setting the keyboard - though how well that would work I don't know.

Google is your friend in this.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #225
shenawi

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help.

Today, I've upgraded my EE to Ermine. The Arabic letters appear but separate. also, the keyboard does not have Arabic letters.
Can anyone advice me about this? can I download another keyboard with Arabic letters?
Thanks in advance