Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I don't see them mentioned, so are LRF files supported?
No. If you have all other formats you do not need a proprietary LRF. We also can not legally use it
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Bilbo1967

No.
Thanks Kartu.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I just posted some screenshots.
http://ebookapplications.com/2010/06/screenshots/
Old 06-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Ebookapps (most likely) is a port by some company that is trying to sell e-ink firmware to vendors. It is not an open project. Bad part about them is, despite extensively using GPL code, they don't release GPL-ed sources, which they actually must do according to GPL license.
You first point (ebookapps=not a open project), while valid, is just a nonargument for the average user imho.

Your second point, regarding the GPL compliance, is not correct. They have to do so with the first request. (well, that request was made by you now...)
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
ebookapps
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Your second point, regarding the GPL compliance, is not correct. They have to do so with the first request. (well, that request was made by you now...)
Thanks! Will post djvu and pdf source on Monday.
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #21
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
That "pure formality" happens to be a legal requirement.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
ebookapps
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
That "pure formality" happens to be a legal requirement.
I understand this. We will comply with it. I hope this will close further "legal" discussions on the subject at least until we post the source.

It is curious that these questions come up before questions about functional part of the software. I presume that you have not looked at it yet.

Anyway. it will be great for everybody to have an alternative to PRS+ and original software. So why start this thread with legal arguing?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #23
ebookapps
Enthusiast

Many questions can be answered if you will check our help file:

http://ebookapplications.com/downloads/1

Last edited by ebookapps; 06-18-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #24
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Am i right in thinking that this is the first available alternative firmware that can be used on the PRS-300 too?
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #25
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookapps View Post
So why start this thread with legal arguing?
Because some of us take the GPL very seriously, and our respect for, and trust of, a company can hinge on whether they respect that license. If someone is unwilling to fulfill the obligations they agreed to with the GPL, that can raise questions as to what other legal obligations they may consider to be a mere "formality".

The folks on MobileRead aren't your average bunch of end-users. We're early adopters, technophiles, geeks, hackers, gearheads, and the like. Unlike Joe Average, who probably wouldn't know or care if something he's buying is made from ground-up babies, we pay more attention than most to where our stuff comes from and who's involved. We're weird that way. Look at the discussion over in General about whether people would buy a DRM-locked ebook. A fair number, even knowing they can strip the DRM, refuse to do so just because they don't want to give their money to a company that uses DRM. Joe Average would just give you a blank look, but it's a significant issue to a bunch of us.

I've been doing a lot of comparisons to food lately; I guess I shouldn't post when I'm hungry. In this case, the comparison is to people who just buy whatever's on sale at the grocery store to people who want locally-sourced, organic, sustainable food. Joe Average is one of the former, while you'll find a higher than usual percentage of the latter (at least where software is concerned) around MobileRead.

That's why we're asking. We want to know who we're doing business with. We want to know that the people we're doing business with don't think that fulfilling their legal obligations is a mere formality. Joe Average probably doesn't; we do. And sometimes, the principles of the seller can be more important than the technical details of the product.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #26
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
1) I am so glad someone finally managed to write their own firmware for Sony. That gives a great hope for more future software.

2) I think the ability to run alongside a standard firmware (even PRS Plus-ed one) is a major success and a major feature, since it allows to easily switch between the two firmwares as needed.

3) I was rather horrified by the "speed" of the menu system, though. Subjectively, it seems much slower than the Sony firmware.

4) The new formats seem to be little more than demos, for now. I tried DOC, HTML and PDB:
- DOC: displays fine, but the formating seems very limited. Not a major problem for me.
- HTML: rendering is atrocious. I intentionally tried a formatting-heavy e-book and was disappointed that no formatting made it through - no chapter headings, no emphasis, no CSS, no fonts, no intra-document links... If I had to guess, I would say the HTML was converted to plaintext and then displayed. This is a major problem for me.
- PDB: displays fine, but needs an ability to select codepage in the menu.

5) Controls need a lot of work. For example, when browsing the filesystem, ENTER should open a file. The decision to use the joypad for page-turning is a serious problem, since it gives no alternative to the original behavior of selecting links (up/down) and navigating history (left/right); this problem is somewhat reduced by the fact that eA doesn't support links at all so there is nothing to navigate, but that is only a temporary solution.

6) All in all, as it is now, I consider eA a proof of concept, not a usable firmware. But I will definitely follow its development with interest, because it has a great potential.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #27
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
No, request was made some time ago on the-ebook.org forums. The answer was they had no time for that at the moment. (many users asked about it) The latest response was:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=407887#407887
Quote:
Quote:
arhangelm wrote:
So what about the sources...
Our first priority is to 1) fix all bugs.

99% of our users wait for battery, "stuck keys" etc. We'll take care about the remaining 1% later
Glad that they've chosen another tone on English speaking forums.

ebookapps
Quote:
Extensively? Not at all. We use GPL code only in djvu and pdf and this code is going to be posted on our site shortly.
1) I seriously doubt you've developed fb2 viewer code in house from scratch. The most popular FB reader is GNU licensed.
2) Same goes for chm, I doubt you've done it from scratch.

Quote:
Scared of competition?
PRS+ is a hobby/for fun/join if you want project. It's not a company project. Nobodies income depends on it. The more stuff is available for users, the better.
I don't want people to wonder "why something from project X is not used in project Y". It should be clear that it's not, because sharing the code is last of project X intentions.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #28
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Can someone pull up an epub on this, and tell me if the text can actually be fully justified?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #29
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Does it handle DRM'd epubs or only non-DRM?
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #30
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
It is a little time that want to buy one of this device... I'm interested in PRS-300 and seeing that now there is avaible an alternative firmware that adds new formats and features well it is a big plus for the 300...

So as I want use not only for text reading, but for manga reading too the question:
is cbz supported?

As in the feature list is stated:
ZIP and multifile ZIP

I suppose yes, a cbz is in reality this... maybe a simple renaming from cbz->zip is enough!

RAR is not supported right? So no CBR support, too! Well if cbz is supported is already a good thing is very simple to re-compress a cbr (rar) in cbz (zip) than convert it to PDF

Last edited by fanoI; 06-19-2010 at 12:14 PM.
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony