Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The "Infamous Kindle Letter"

I just received the "Infamous Kindle Letter" telling me that I live in a different country than the one listed on my Amazon Account.

Here it is:

Hello from Amazon.com.

As someone purchasing Kindle titles while in a different country than United States listed on your Amazon account, you might like to know that you can easily update your country for your Amazon account at http://www.Amazon.com/manageyourkindle.

If you have any questions, you can reach the Kindle support team via phone or email by going to http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport and clicking on the contact us button on the right side. You can also call directly by phone inside the US:-866-321-8851 (toll-free) or outside the US: 1-206-266-0927 (charges will apply) or by emailing kindle-cs-support@amazon.com. Kindle customer service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Best regards,

-------

I am a U.S. citizen with a U.S. Bank Account and a listed U.S. Residence. I own the non-international Kindle 2.

Will Amazon interrupt my service, do you think? Will I be charged a $1.99 for every Free Ebook downloaded to my Kindle?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
They're starting to seriously look at IP addresses?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
USAphobio makes me wonder if I even have a right to read and post on this site. Things is gettin' purdy silly, folks. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
so.......have you called and talked to anyone?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
USAphobio makes me wonder if I even have a right to read and post on this site. Things is gettin' purdy silly, folks. N
Absolutely every right. This here site is hosted in the great white north! (Take off , eh!)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
No worries, Neil. Our servers are in Canada, and the moderators are drawn from both Europe and America.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Hm, ok for me. Just tested it.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
They're starting to seriously look at IP addresses?
Apparently so, yes.

And also, because I haven't been back to the U.S. since July (which is when I bought my Kindle).

Don
Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
so.......have you called and talked to anyone?
Not yet, but I did a one-click purchase today, without any problems, of John Irving's new novel.

I'm wondering if I should even worry about it.

Don
Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Not yet, but I did a one-click purchase today, without any problems, of John Irving's new novel.

Don
Maybe keep your wireless off so things dont suddenly go missing - and keep a backup on your PC and just do what you have been doing!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I recieved the letter saying I had changed country. I had not, I had driven about 100km from home but was still very far from leaving my home country. When I got home yesterday I checked my settings on Amazon and my country of location had changed to the U.K. ? I certainly had not made this change.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
Dharmabum
Enthusiast
Dharmabum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paper White
The international Kindle is available in Peru, yes? So, they are likely trying to get you purchasing from the right site.

I'm in Korea(no international Kindle service) and have had no issues, using the old gift card work around. ~knocks on wood~ Maybe they are just looking the other way, in my case, so as to not lose sales.
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Well, I think the publishers in Peru could complain to Amazon about your purchases from the US Amazon Kindle store, instead of the Peru store.

After all, which store you're allowed to buy from isn't supposed be related to your nationality, credit card or home address, but purely from your location at time of purchase.

That's what we've been told for several years, anyway. The point of sale is the purchaser's location, not the retailer's.

Sigh - what a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Maybe keep your wireless off so things dont suddenly go missing - and keep a backup on your PC and just do what you have been doing!

The wireless is off; but also, I have the U.S. Kindle and my understanding is that with the wireless on it still wouldn't work - so no worries there.

Don
Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmabum View Post
The international Kindle is available in Peru, yes? So, they are likely trying to get you purchasing from the right site.

I'm in Korea(no international Kindle service) and have had no issues, using the old gift card work around. ~knocks on wood~ Maybe they are just looking the other way, in my case, so as to not lose sales.
Yes, the International Kindle is available in Peru.

However, my home address and bank account is in the U.S. (I also work here and have a Peruvian Bank Account, but I use that to take my wife to dinner and buy her flowers. )

If I changed my resident address, the books would be higher and most of the Freebies would disappear.

So for me, the only advantage of the International Kindle is that I can download LESS books and with the addition of a $1.99 premium fee for using my wireless. I don't see these things as an advantage.

What they're seeing, I would presume, is my IP address as originating from Peru.

Don