Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Hanlin V5 delivery

Has anyone yet received this device after ordering
I am thinking about taking the plunge and was wondering what accessories come with it.

I was also hoping to find some others in Singapore to share the TT and delivery costs but I didn't get much interest in a Singapore tech Forum I tried. So maybe will buy 2 myself and get a 2nd one for a family member but dont want to spend so much without getting some review from people that have used it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
It's not released yet, here in the US. I'll be getting the one branded by Astak for US release. Hopefully it will be here by mid August. Once released here, you'll most likely have more reviews than you can handle.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I was also hoping to find some others in Singapore to share the TT and delivery costs but I didn't get much interest in a Singapore tech Forum I tried. So maybe will buy 2 myself and get a 2nd one for a family member but dont want to spend so much without getting some review from people that have used it.
Hi Dopedangel,

you can get the Jinke V3 (The EZ reader) in JB for around a lot of ringitt...I think it comes out to be around 400-500 SGD, and it is possible to collect in Singapore also.

I am in Sing, and have just bought a reader via the fleamarket in MR.... The cost was way less .

It's hard to convince people to part with $300+ AND still have to pay for the books, and maybe have to convert formats etc.....

As we do not have access to the Sony store, or the Kindle book store, I chose this model and it supports 2 chinese language formats, though I forget what they are...

I mostly get my docs in pdf and convert to another format (usually PRC, but that may change).

I would wait a little while if buying new, 'cos the new hardware coming for X-mas is way better (like the epson controler) and there are going to be signifcantly more international players in the market at that stage as well....

I just had-to-have-it-NOW.....and probably paid a little too much as a result...

Keep on researching and ask a heap of questions, as these MR'ers are a great source and know what they are on about!
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
tman_694
tman_694 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V5
I've had mine for a week

I like the screen, like the battery life though i've had a few issues.

I ordered mine from ebay, right from china. Didn't want to got through the wire transfer on the manufacturers site so I paid ~20 dollars more on ebay.

The only issue I've had is that while reading a lit book the reader can lockup and refuse to turn the page. After powering down and restarting the book the page I was on dissapears, ie the page I was leaving. Though the page numbers don't skip, for example I was on pg 185 going to pg 186 now page 185 is the old pg 184 and pg 186 is the old 186, where did pg 185 go??? I found if I plug the device into my computer and go into the Restore_PC folder and delete the associated PG file I loose my reading location but the pages are fixed.

I've only had this happen twice in the week and have read 2 1/2 books so far.

The other issue I had, which I though might have caused the glitch the first time, is that Windows 7 beta won't connect to the device correctly. I used my laptop to correct file system error's (laptop runs vista) and re-formated the sd card and re-copied the books onto the card. Then I had the same issue near the end of my next book. I'm half way through my third book with no issue yet, if it happens I make sure I know my page number, erase the PG file then open the book and go to page number. Takes 2 mins, though it is annoying.

Since this is a new device I'm assuming there might be the odd glitch. I'll keep my eye out for a firmware update.

The reading experiance, ie eye strain, clarity, etc is good. A big improvement from reading on my ipaq. I went with the v5 because of the format range the device can handle, I didn't want to have to convert everything I have to a propiatary format.

I havn't tried much else with the device yet, listened to an mp3 for a bit, sound was decent though not that loud. Opened up a few pdf's, zoom seemed to make the text larger but I lost the images that were too large for the screen, will have to play a bit there.

I think it will be a good device for my book reading, was hoping to use it for work as well since manuals I need frequently are mainly in pdf format, i'll have to figure out the zoom and see if i can scroll wile zoomed as a single page schematic is unreadable. Might end up beeing beyond the devices capabilites though. If it worked I was going to recomend the device to my company as it would be nicer to cary it around then a laptop.

I'll write more after I play with the device. Was out of town training and got the device the day before I left, copied a few books to it and flew out.
tman_694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman_694 View Post
The only issue I've had is that while reading a lit book the reader can lockup and refuse to turn the page.
The reading software is presumably very similar to that on the V3, although there might be V5 specific bugs. There are three or more different "readers" on the device, so you may be better off converting from LIT to FB2 (uses CoolReader) or ePub (uses Adobe Digital Editions). I suggest using calibre 0.6 beta to do the format shifting. This does reduce the multi-format support advantage of the Hanlins, but you still get to choose between multiple software readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman_694 View Post
I like the screen, like the battery life though i've had a few issues ...
Welcome to Mobileread.
Very nice first post.

I am very interested in more information.
Can you tell us how is Text To Speech working?
Can you post youtube video?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Has anyone yet received this device after ordering
I am thinking about taking the plunge and was wondering what accessories come with it.

Hi

We are the only seller of Hanlin V3 in M'sia & S'pore. We have limited stock and will only start selling when completed reviewing V5 and collecting more input from potential buyers. Do visit out ebookreaderv.blogspot.com as we are issuing latest review on V5 for interested users.
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote