Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
starcaptainallen
starcaptainallen began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Library is missing completely

Hello all. Yesterday, I opened Calibre (version 3.7) and it was completely empty. Imagine my surprise! It looked like I had somehow moved my library file location, but when I checked, it was right where it was supposed to be. I attempted to point Calibre at the correct location, but when I selected the folder with the files, it said "the location contains the current library" and wouldn't do anything. All the folders are there, with the ebook file, cover file, and metadata file. I've lost nothing, it just refuses to display in Calibre. I tried moving the entire library to a different folder and then pointing Calibre at it, with the same results. I downloaded the latest version of Calibre (3.9 now), and it displays exactly the same. I don't want to blindly take any further action because I don't want to risk losing what I have, but I also can't use any of Calibre's features if it won't display the books.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this matter!

Very Respectfully,
Eric
starcaptainallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You probably forgot to enable the option to "Use existing library at the new location" when you were pointing calibre at the existing library location.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
starcaptainallen

That's actually the default option. I tried clicking on it again, same results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre screenshot.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	159449   Click image for larger version

Name:	folder screenshot.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	159450  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
starcaptainallen

I tried adding a book I already have, and it shows as the only book in Calibre, but created a duplicate folder in the existing library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre screenshot 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	159451  
Old 10-14-2017, 01:21 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcaptainallen View Post
I tried adding a book I already have, and it shows as the only book in Calibre, but created a duplicate folder in the existing library.
Looks to me like the database has been emptied

Run Library maintenance->Check library - in the third phase I think you'll get a lot of errors about extra authors and books.

If that's true, then after ensuring you have a backup of the library folder as it is now, try running Library maintenance->Restore database - which may take a while, depending on how many books.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 02:47 AM   #6
starcaptainallen

That appears to have worked. Thank you!