Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Etern
Etern is on a distinguished road

Device: Nexus One
Fanfiction Reader for Android Devices

Hi All,

I'm not sure how interested people are about this, but I've created a all in one app that allows you to download and read stories from fanfiction.net. It lets you read stories offline, and to check your saved stories for updates at any time.

You can find the app here Fanfiction Reader.

Its still pretty rough, but I find it to be useful in reading on my Android device. Please let me know if you have any issues with it, or if you have any feature request.

Thanks!
Etern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
I must tell my daughter about this. She's an avid Fanfiction reader and writer, and has over 4000 hits on her story - which really pisses me off because I'm not selling anything like that much on Amazon.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've downloaded it, and while Raw looks pretty decent.

My only complaint so far is that you can only search by story name and not by Author. Also, the search options do require you to look around a bit. Adding that ability could be very useful.

While that may require more work, it could provide a much more usable interface, as many people, myself included often follow specific authors and or genre's and as such might not remember any specific story.

Would suggest improving the interface as a whole a bit as well, as it is a quiet a bit raw.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agree. I downloaded it and tried to look up my daughter's stories by her user-name, and couldn't find them. FanFic is huge, you really need to be able to search by author.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Etern

Thanks for the comments. I'll add the search by author capability soon.

As a whole, the search/browsing capabilities are quite limited right now. Something I intend to correct soon.
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
EileenG
Zealot

Keep me posted please, I'd love to know how it works out.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Etern

I've just pushed an update that adds in the feature to "Search By Author"

Looking to add some touch-ups and improvements to the interface within the next week or so.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
Etern

Just released an update of the app. This update adds browsing of the Fanfiction.net categories (no filter/sort options yet). I've also added page caching reduce loading times, and added a setting for the user to pick their orientation so that it doesn't auto rotate.

I'll probably be adding in the filter/sort options for the browsing in a couple of days. The browse screens also have a load more button in the search results that I'll be adding to the other searches soon.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Etern

Its been a while, but there's been lots of updates to the Fanfiction Reader that make it much easier to use.

Also, I've released the FictionPress Reader to do similar things for the fictionpress.com website.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
jeriddian
jeriddian began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom
Dear, Etern,
As an author, I would like to have the ability to edit my stories on my Motorola Xoom. Is this a function your app can handle? Thanks.

jeriddian
jeriddian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
LesRS
Enthusiast
LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.LesRS for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Lenovo A1 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etern View Post
Its been a while, but there's been lots of updates to the Fanfiction Reader that make it much easier to use.

Also, I've released the FictionPress Reader to do similar things for the fictionpress.com website.
Thanks! I love fanfic and appreciate you creating this so I can use it on my ereader.
LesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #12
Etern

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriddian View Post
Dear, Etern,
As an author, I would like to have the ability to edit my stories on my Motorola Xoom. Is this a function your app can handle? Thanks.

jeriddian
This is currently beyond the ability of my app. It is really meant as a aid for readers. If you want, you can describe what you would like in such a writing app and I will see if I can do one in the future.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
jeriddian
jeriddian began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etern View Post
This is currently beyond the ability of my app. It is really meant as a aid for readers. If you want, you can describe what you would like in such a writing app and I will see if I can do one in the future.
Thank you, Etern. I had anticipated that the reader was exactly that and not meant to be more, as intended, but it didn't hurt to ask. I often use my laptop in a restaurant or a cafe where I can sit for lomg periods of time and just write. I would love to be able to do that with my Xoom, but the native browser and Firefox are somehow incompatible with Fanfiction.net's software and will not properly display the text of my stories in the edit window. It will not allow me to place the cursor, and if I try to scroll down past a few pages, the text simply disappears. I tried adjustimg my preferences on the browsers, but neither one seems to be able to connect with FF's program correctly. If I am doing something wrong, I don't know what it could be. Thus I am left with searching for alternatives. I just want to be able to upload my stories, edit them, save them, and post them to the site, just like I do when I access them on my laptop. I do appreciate your attention to this.

Sincerely,

Jeriddian
jeriddian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
jamesrichards
jamesrichards began at the beginning.

Device: archos 7c, captivate
Smile Multiple devices

Allowing us to place the story files in a chosen location or online storage so that we could access with multiple devices would be a good enhancement. I love your reader and use it daily, thanks for the hard work. (I am a programmer so I know it takes work)

Thanks, Jim
jamesrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
jamesrichards
jamesrichards began at the beginning.

Device: archos 7c, captivate
jeriddian,
I use Google docs on my tablet to write/edit my stuff this gives me access to it on my computes tablet and phone. Then I download and reupload to ff.net.

jim/ jlrichards pen name
jamesrichards is offline   Reply With Quote