Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #31
ScottTheGR81
ScottTheGR81 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
It is legit, I am getting one through it I expect the entire process to take 2-3 weeks.
ScottTheGR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #32
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
David Rothman at Teleread says he has contacted Sony to make sure that website is approved, due to the phishing concerns over this offer.

It IS strange that nowhere on the Sony website can you find a link to this particular offer, there is nary a mention of it. SonyStyle still offers only the $100 credit offer.

The website, with the Verisign certificate appears legitimate however.

Who has actually contacted either Sony or Chase and got actual verbal verification that this if a legitimate offer?

I am going to call both now and see what they say. I will let you know what response I get.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #33
irishjew
Enthusiast
irishjew doesn't litteririshjew doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
It's legit. I called Chase. Seems it will take two weeks for the card to come, however. An unreasonably long time, since most credit cards I've applied for come instantaneously. Still, I'm assuming they won't run out of Readers or anything ridiculous like that, and I think it will come just in time to get the $150 deal as well.
irishjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #34
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
Legitimate offer?

As I posted in another thread, I did speak to Chase and they confirmed that the URL at which you apply for the card under the offer is their site. They told me that there were "many, many" offers associated with the Sony Card.
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #35
irishjew
Enthusiast
irishjew doesn't litteririshjew doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I just got off the phone with Sony Rewards [1-866-556-SONY] and they also confirmed the offer. Once you get the actual card in the mail [which Chase said could take up to two weeks], you need to register with the Sony Rewards website, and then click Redeem, which will take you to a place where you can order the Reader. Also, according to the woman I spoke to, the offer does not expire until January 31, 2008. Amazing deal.
irishjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjew View Post
Seems it will take two weeks for the card to come, however. An unreasonably long time, since most credit cards I've applied for come instantaneously.
It's probably one of those situations where they tell you it'll take longer than it really will, both so you'll be happy when it comes faster, and so that you won't bug 'em in the meantime. You know, like when the restaurant tells you it'll be 30 minutes to get a table and they seat you ten minutes later.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #37
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur

This could really suck!!!!

This is from Teleread. If true, this really blows:

Quote:
As related to me by “Chris” at NuComm International, a company handling phone calls for the Sony-related credit card operation, you have to apply for a card first, but even that doesn’t mean you’ll qualify for the $49 reader. Chris says the Web address published earlier was for the use of qualified people following an e-mail link that Sony sends. He doesn’t know what the exact criteria are for qualification. Again: You might qualify for the card but not for the $49 reader. Perhaps because you’re not wealthy enough?
http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=6808#comments
Old 07-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #38
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
Sony Saga

Well, that latest bit of news is not very reassuring...

I guess those of us who applied for the card will just have to wait and see what happens. The worst case is that I will have a(nother) free credit card that I don't use. At least the earlier concerns about phishing seem to be baseless.

In any event, if this offer was really only supposed to be sent to a "select group" of people, then Sony will have a problem on their hands with anybody else who gets approved for the card. There is nothing in that splash page that puts any other limitation on getting the Reader other than being approved for the card -- and that is up to Chase. I want to hear Sony explain why the offer doesn't apply to me, assuming I get the card.

At the very least, this should prove interesting!
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #39
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
There is nothing in that splash page that puts any other limitation on getting the Reader other than being approved for the card -- and that is up to Chase. I want to hear Sony explain why the offer doesn't apply to me, assuming I get the card.

At the very least, this should prove interesting!
You are right. It does explain why that webpage is advertised no where else on the Sony site. It was apparently intended only for some select people.

Guess it is wait and see time......
Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, now it's the "select group" of people who see it here on MobileRead too!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #41
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
In a quick read of the terms and conditions on the web, it does look like they have the right to send you spam (i.e. "opportunities) as part of the "Sony Rewards Program." Buyer beware.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist

Unsubscribing from them would seem a small price, if you do it quickly enough, they might not have time to sell your info.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #43
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Mmm... read the fine print. Your commitment is to keep the info up to date. I think you'd have to get out of the "Sony Rewards" program altogether, and while there are apparently no purchase requirements or annual fees for the credit card, it might require that you remain in the Sony Rewards program for a specified period of time.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #44
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Not to sound like a fool, but when I spoke with someone--at SONY rewards--I specifically asked if I needed to purchase something, maintain the card for a certain period of time, &tc, in order to qualify. If that is not the case, if this amazing offer--which, again, I was told is true and valid and completely legit--is not what I was told it is, I will be quite irate.
Now, I am all for personal responsibility; I read what terms I could find, I spoke with a SONY Rewards rep. and one from Chase, (I even checked with my wife) and there seemed to be no problems. Thus, if either company does not see fit to honor the deal, it will be time to call "shenanigans" on these folks.
At the very least, I am going to pitch a fit regarding the erroneous things I was told by a customer service rep.
*sigh* In the long run, will need to sit and wait it out like everyone else....
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #45
NatCh
Gizmologist

So the $50 was low enough to entice you, eh, Cthulhu?