Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cover image bug with ePub for correct aspect

When I convert something to ePub and add in a cover image, the cover comes out wrong. The aspect is wrong.

The titlepage file has 600x800 resolution and that makes the cover the full width of the screen instead of aspect correct. Sure I can go in and change the resolution to the image's but I should not have to. I am using ebook-convert.

Code:
ebook-convert %1 .epub margin-top=0 --margin-bottom=0 --margin-left=0 --margin-right=0 --preserve-cover-aspect-ratio --cover=cover.jpg --language=en
As you can see by the specified options, I am specifying to keep the aspect ratio and it's failing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I don't know much about that variable and how that particular area of the code works, but I know that when I enable/disable 'preserve aspect ratio' from the GUI it works as expected. Maybe do a GUI conversion and see if there are extra arguments you need to pass to the command line? All the arguments that get passed are documented in the job details.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I don't know much about that variable and how that particular area of the code works, but I know that when I enable/disable 'preserve aspect ratio' from the GUI it works as expected. Maybe do a GUI conversion and see if there are extra arguments you need to pass to the command line? All the arguments that get passed are documented in the job details.
That won't work. I don't use the GUI. I use the command line. Looks like I am going to have to file a bug report.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I think what he's trying to say is that you should do a test case conversion in the GUI for the purpose of figuring out which arguments the GUI uses. There may be issues with the arguments you pass to ebook-convert, for example, I could see the margin=0- arguments fighting with the preserve-aspect-ratio argument and winning. If you converted via the GUI as a test, you'd be able to see, for example, if the margin arguments still get passed when you select to preserve aspect ratio.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Can you do me a favor? Convert something to ePub with a new cover image and specify to keep the aspect ratio. Then ZIP the file titlepage.xhtml and attach it to this thread so I can have a look please. Thanks.
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Sure, titlepage:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/>
        <meta name="calibre:cover" content="true"/>
        <title>Cover</title>
        <style type="text/css" title="override_css">
            @page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
        </style>
    </head>
    <body>
        <div>
            <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 600 800" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet">
                <image width="600" height="800" xlink:href="cover.jpeg"/>
            </svg>
        </div>
    </body>
</html>
Verified in ADE that the aspect ratio is preserved.

Here are the conversion options that were resolved:
Code:
Convert book 1 of 1 (Ulysses)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.7.42
{'asciiize': False,
 'author_sort': None,
 'authors': None,
 'base_font_size': 0.0,
 'book_producer': None,
 'change_justification': u'original',
 'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
 'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
 'comments': None,
 'cover': '/var/folders/Rm/Rm6mzVkCH6GuTtIFsFdGnU+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.7.42_tmp_aO8HwV/calibre_0.7.42_VEtwPB.jpeg',
 'debug_pipeline': None,
 'dehyphenate': True,
 'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
 'disable_font_rescaling': False,
 'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
 'enable_heuristics': False,
 'epub_flatten': False,
 'extra_css': None,
 'extract_to': None,
 'fix_indents': True,
 'flow_size': 260,
 'font_size_mapping': None,
 'format_scene_breaks': True,
 'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
 'input_encoding': None,
 'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x106fdb690>,
 'insert_blank_line': False,
 'insert_metadata': False,
 'isbn': None,
 'italicize_common_cases': True,
 'keep_ligatures': False,
 'language': None,
 'level1_toc': None,
 'level2_toc': None,
 'level3_toc': None,
 'line_height': 0.0,
 'linearize_tables': False,
 'margin_bottom': 5.0,
 'margin_left': 5.0,
 'margin_right': 5.0,
 'margin_top': 5.0,
 'markup_chapter_headings': True,
 'max_toc_links': 50,
 'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
 'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
 'no_default_epub_cover': False,
 'no_inline_navbars': False,
 'no_svg_cover': False,
 'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.SonyReaderOutput object at 0x106fdbe90>,
 'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
 'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
 'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': True,
 'pretty_print': True,
 'pubdate': None,
 'publisher': None,
 'rating': None,
 'read_metadata_from_opf': '/var/folders/Rm/Rm6mzVkCH6GuTtIFsFdGnU+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.7.42_tmp_aO8HwV/calibre_0.7.42_UFn_ZV.opf',
 'remove_first_image': False,
 'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
 'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
 'renumber_headings': True,
 'series': None,
 'series_index': None,
 'smarten_punctuation': False,
 'sr1_replace': None,
 'sr1_search': None,
 'sr2_replace': None,
 'sr2_search': None,
 'sr3_replace': None,
 'sr3_search': None,
 'tags': None,
 'timestamp': None,
 'title': None,
 'title_sort': None,
 'toc_filter': None,
 'toc_threshold': 6,
 'unwrap_lines': True,
 'use_auto_toc': False,
 'verbose': 2}

Manichean was correct, btw, I didn't intend for you to switch over to the GUI, just use it for debugging.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I can see the bug right there. The aspect ratio is wrong because the resolution is set to 600x800. So you get your image set to fit as though it was a 600x800 resolution image. When I change 600 and 800 to the actual resolution of the cover image, then I get the correct aspect ratio.

Code:
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 600 800" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet">

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-25-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No width and height are set to 600x800 only when preserve aspect ratio is set, which in turn sets the preserveAspectRatio property of the container <svg> element to xMidYMid meet which means that a compliant svg renderer has to render the image within the viewbox (which is also set to 600x800 while preserving the aspect ratio)

Use an epub viewer that properly implements the SVG spec, like calibre's epub viewer and you will see that the aspect ratio is indeed preserved.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No width and height are set to 600x800 only when preserve aspect ratio is set, which in turn sets the preserveAspectRatio property of the container <svg> element to xMidYMid meet which means that a compliant svg renderer has to render the image within the viewbox (which is also set to 600x800 while preserving the aspect ratio)

Use an epub viewer that properly implements the SVG spec, like calibre's epub viewer and you will see that the aspect ratio is indeed preserved.
So if I don't set things to preserve the aspect ratio, then it will actually work in ADE? The problem with Calibre's ePub renderer is that it's not on my 650 so I cannot use it. Needs to work with ADE.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-27-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try it and see.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
ldolse
Wizard

My epub's covers all render fine with ADE - desktop and my Sony devices - of course it generally looks wonky on my desktop because the ADE window is generally set to a different aspect ratio than my reader, but they do render as configured. I prefer Calibre's default as that way there are no borders and the image fully fills the reader screen.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
My epub's covers all render fine with ADE - desktop and my Sony devices - of course it generally looks wonky on my desktop because the ADE window is generally set to a different aspect ratio than my reader, but they do render as configured. I prefer Calibre's default as that way there are no borders and the image fully fills the reader screen.
You just don't see that the aspect ratio is incorrect. But trust me, it is.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Try it and see.
I tried it and it made the image way too wide. Now, I found the solution.

Code:
If you change the 600 and 800 to the actual resolution of the image, then it works perfectly in ebook-viewer and in ADE. So fixing it to work in ADE does not break it in ebook-viewer.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I am unable to replicate this ADE on my machine is not changing the aspect ratio of cover images as long as preserveAspectRatio is set to xmidymid meet.

What version of ade/device are you seeing this on?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm seeing this on my 650 and on Windows ADE 1.7.2.1131

The first attachment (cover.jpg) is the cover being shown in the correct aspect ratio in ACDSee.

The second (cover2.png) is the cover as it comes out of Calibre with the aspect ratio is supposed to be preserved.

The third (cover3.jpg) is showing the cover in ADE with the correct aspect ratio when I change the numbers from 600 800 to the size of the image.

As you can see, 800 600 gives an incorrect aspect ratio while using the images size gives me the correct aspect ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	65657   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover3.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	65658   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.png
Views:	442