Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #166
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
We should probably both seek therapy.
I'm also very keen on a Surface 2 Pro with 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.
The only thing holding me back is that when I played around with a Surface in a store, it just feels a tad too thick and heavy. Just a smidge, nothing much, but just enough too make it conscious.
It is heavy.
And a bit bulky.
And with the cover wrapped around even bulkier.
But: I quickly came to enjoy the feeling, when taking it out of my locker.
By far my my most "valuable" unit.
For example, I don't like the Samsung design because of their overload of plastic.
I've read a favorable review about a new Samsung unit (forgot, which one). But even that review stated, that the flimsy plastic lid of the battery compartment and other details like that make it appear a bit cheap and somewhat kill part of the joy.
With my Surface Pro G1, it's exactly the opposite.
I've felt the same, when using my iRex 800: The weight gives the impression of quality and durability to me.
It's too heavy to hold it for extended periods of time. But then again: I don't read eBooks on it or other time consuming stuff like this.
For reading, my beloved Kindle Paperwhite can't be beat.
I use my Surface Pro G1 either propped up and type brief texts on the ingenious Type Cover. Or I wrap the cover around and use it as a tablet. But I'm not holding it in one hand, like I do with my Kindle Paperwhite.
I lean it against my left forearm. Or, like my Chromebook Pixel, I lay it on the headrest of my sofa, more or less left to the MacBook Air that sits next to me on the sofa on 2 cushions.

And:
I don't compare it to my other tablets.
Of course, next to Google Nexus 7 for example, it is gargantuan.
I compare it to my MacBook Air, which has similar specs.
And then I don't mind the moderate fan.
And I don't mind the measurements.

For now, Surface Pro to me has the same status as the first 3 generations of iPads: I'm 99% sure, I'll buy the respective successors.
BTW: For now, I won't buy a new iPad. I still hate the look of OS7. Functionality may have improved (don't care much, I'm not into Smartphones), but the look kills all the fun for me.

I should have my Surface 2 Pro 128GB in about a week.
And the Surface 2 Pro 256GB in about 2 months.
My guess: Should I decide to sell the 128GB version then, I'll lose € 250 tops.
I had received a proposal for my Surface Pro 128GB Gen1 a week ago via Amazon. A buyer wanted to pay only € 240 below the price for the new one. If I can get that amount for a 5 months old Gen1, a 2 months old Gen2 certainly should make at least the same price.
But I'm not sure yet, whether I'll even sell it.
Maybe keep it: 1 for professional stuff, 1 for the private stuff.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #167
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
If Google gets rid of the keyboard and sells a Chromebook Pixel Tablet instead, I'll buy it in an instant.
It is too bad that the lid of the Chromebook Pixel does not open a full 360 degrees, or swivel and close like the OLPC. Then, it could be used as either a notebook or a tablet. Its 4 megapixel, 33 cm display would be great for viewing portrait layout (A4/letter) PDFs.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #168
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is too bad that the lid of the Chromebook Pixel does not open a full 360 degrees, or swivel and close like the OLPC. Then, it could be used as either a notebook or a tablet. Its 4 megapixel, 33 cm display would be great for viewing portrait layout (A4/letter) PDFs.
Personally, I'm not a fan of the 360 degrees units.
I've checked out the Lenovo Yoga, but didn't like feeling the keyboard in your palm while holding it in tablet mode.
I'm not too fond of that with Surface Pro and the type keyboard either. But here I easily can detach the cover.
A convertible might work.
But quite frankly: I don't really see much use for a keyboard on Chrome. In a few years it might compete with Mac or Windows PCs to full extent. But for now, it's rather limited regarding office apps and the likes. You can install Linux, but why buy Chrome then anyway?
For now, I see Chrome as an advanced browser. And for this a tablet, maybe optionally a bluetooth keyboard, would work just fine.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #169
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Personally, I'm not a fan of the 360 degrees units.
I've checked out the Lenovo Yoga, but didn't like feeling the keyboard in your palm while holding it in tablet mode.
I don't have any direct experience with 360 degree displays. I am assuming that it is possible to do a good job designing and building one.

Quote:
But quite frankly: I don't really see much use for a keyboard on Chrome. In a few years it might compete with Mac or Windows PCs to full extent. But for now, it's rather limited regarding office apps and the likes. You can install Linux, but why buy Chrome then anyway?
No other way to get that resolution at that size with a good enough keyboard and decent weight.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #170
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
No other way to get that resolution at that size with a good enough keyboard and decent weight.
The resolution is a tricky thing: http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57...omebook-pixel/
The display still is great, but for now doesn't come up to the full potential yet.
Anyway...
I'll certainly remain a loyal fan of Google. I love my Nvidia Shield and part of the fun are the Android games and emulators.
And I definitely will buy Google Glass, although the 2nd generation already is on the horizon.
And Chromebook Pixel hasn't been a real disappointment either. I just had to recognise that it doesn't fit my personal usage patterns.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-19-2013 at 07:42 PM.