The Verge Review: 3.9/10

Accurate?
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/23/2...obo-vox-review
JoshP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
triple-dot
triple-dot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ouch. That was devastating. I hope Kobo takes this review - as well as the complaints about their service - to heart and works hard to make a strong impression the first time going forward.
triple-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
I don't care, none of them are offered in Canada.
I'm happy with my vox, it do all I want it to do.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Same here. I love my Vox. The fact that I can use both Kobo and Amazon (plus epub/pdf etc) makes it a winner for me. As does flie sharing, dropbox etc. Its open, and I like that.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

I always find it funny when people try to tap harder on capacitive touchscreens.

Apart from that, I'm with the two above - a light system and only a reasonable amount of bloat (which in the Vox's case is really just giving ideas for what you can do) are what I like and what I wouldn't have with the competition.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Well....I have to disagree with some points in the article. When I was recently at a Cole's store, I handled a basic Kobo, and compared to my Sony PRS 650, that looked and felt 'cheap'. The Vox, to me, feels quite sturdy. Of course, I've never been in contact with a Nook or a Kindle, so I have no basis for comparison.

As for 'sluggish swiping' while turning pages...umm...you don't need to 'swipe'. My Sony requires swipes, and that's what I was used to and that's what I was doing with the Vox. It didn't work so well. But taps do. In fact, in the Kobo app, the page turns are so fast with a tap that you could accidentally turn more than one page. Aldiko and Overdrive have slower turns and the pages kind of slide. As for other apps, the 'slide' is quite sensitive, I find. (And I've accidentally sent my angry birds in the wrong direction when trying to pull back on the slingshot, too, LOL!)

I do wish I could successfully stop the orientation because sometimes when I'm reading, I walk around and the Vox is very sensitive to a change of position, which means it might want to change to landscape view when I don't want it to, and then I get to see that 'spinning wheel'.

And the battery life...I wish it was better. Here in the sticks we have frequent and unexpected power outages, so I normally keep everything on full charge. I'm finding when I'm at home, I've got the Vox on charge a lot, and on a recent 10 hour (one way) road trip, I had the Vox plugged in. Fortunately we have 110 in the truck, but a lot of vehicles don't have that. (Maybe a 'lighter' adapter would be a good idea?)

With a Kindle, you're stuck with Amazon, but with the Vox, I can buy books from Kobo, Kindle, or even Aldiko. Or Sony. Or even Nook, although I haven't tried the latter 2 yet. I can also borrow library books with the Vox, which I couldn't with a Kindle. And is the Kindle fire available in Canada yet? With all the same bells and whistles that U.S. folks have?

Overall...I'm happy with the Vox, and is sure is interesting, learning how to use it.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
Do u guys get better battery life than 4 and a half hours browsing? And how about just for reading a book or pdf with the wifi off, screen brightness at low and all?

I went to a futureshop today. they didn't have the Vox on display but the kobo touch did seem pretty impressive.
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I know we are mostly Vox owners, and are thus biased, I have to say that this review sounds like a bury job. To criticize the Vox screen shows a complete disregard. The screen quality is great.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
The screen quality is great.
As compared to what?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
As compared to what?
An iPad for example. My husband has an iPad and we can be sitting on the same ferry (how we commute to work) with the sun hitting us in the same way, and my screen is completed readable whereas his is not. (I love having this to hold over my iPad-user husband's head.)
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markT4 View Post
Do u guys get better battery life than 4 and a half hours browsing? And how about just for reading a book or pdf with the wifi off, screen brightness at low and all?

I went to a futureshop today. they didn't have the Vox on display but the kobo touch did seem pretty impressive.
I've never browsed for four straight hours. But I am very impressed with the battery life of the Vox. Here is how I use it primarily:

Weekdays: Browsing in the morning before work. On my commute to work I throw it into airplane mode and pop the brightness on the display up (my commute is usually sunny). I read on my commute to and from work and for an hour at lunch. In the evening, airplane mode gets turned off with some sporadic browsing here and there. Then I read for an hour before bed (night more, brightness turned way down). By the time I finish reading, turn it off and plug it in for the night, my battery is still at 75% or better.

Weekends: Airplane mode is NEVER on. Browse the internet throughout the day. Usually take it in and out of sleep mode as I also have a toddler who also requires my attention! Usually import books from Dropbox. Read during nap time and before bed. Battery lasts from the time I wake up to when I go to sleep, though it is usually pretty low at the end of the day (total time, usually around 13 hours battery life).

The only time I have really noticed the battery be quickly drained is when I try to stream video from the internet.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Laura,

During the weekdays, do you have the Vox in sleep mode between your commutes to and from work and your lunch hours?

I don't think I've EVER had that kind of battery life.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
LauraPony
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Laura,

During the weekdays, do you have the Vox in sleep mode between your commutes to and from work and your lunch hours?

I don't think I've EVER had that kind of battery life.
Yup. But airplane mode is also on. Also, I don't use any of the widgets that seems to wake the Vox while it is sleeping (INQ or Rdio).

The one time I forgot to put the Vox to sleep when I had a book open, it drained the battery right down to zilch because I don't think it goes to sleep on its own while a book is open in Kobo. I don't read that slowly but I appreciate Kobo trying to accommodate my reading pace.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
49Kat
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I know we are mostly Vox owners, and are thus biased, I have to say that this review sounds like a bury job.

I tend to agree with you there. Simply what they said about the sluggish response to swiping and tapping the screen--totally not the case in my experience. My Vox is extremely responsive to the lightest touch, except the letter "p" on the keyboard because it's right at the very edge. Sometimes I have to tap that a couple of times, but otherwise, it requires a very light touch. I think the reviewer may have had a unit with technical issues, perhaps.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
49Kat
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Yup. But airplane mode is also on. Also, I don't use any of the widgets that seems to wake the Vox while it is sleeping (INQ or Rdio).
I should check those widgets because I never use them. I was looking through settings or something, though, and I actually googled INQ because I wondered what it was doing. I've mentioned on another thread that yesterday I walked into a room where the Vox was supposedly sleeping (because I had put it into sleep mode) and it was awake. That was pre update and the first time I had seen this happen. Today, post update, it happened again, and this is new behavior. I do turn the wi fi off before I put it into sleep mode. I had it on the charger both times. Because of the frequent and unexpected power outages here, I keep my devices fully charged all the time if I'm home.

For road trips, it's no problem to just plug the Vox in when we're actually in the truck, but there are times when you just can't be charging it, like in a waiting room, for example, so it would be nice to be able to count on it to last through those times.

Tags
kobo, review, vox