Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #181
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Biodu, yes it works perfectly to run Duokan on DXG with firmware 3.1 as I wrote in an earlier post. I first updated both the DXG 2.5.8 and the Kindle 3G with Duokan before extracting rootfs.img and creating the update package. You need to be patient first time when you restart since it takes some time during the initial boot screen for Duokan to index your documents and music. I think my previous problems were due to my impatience. So if you just can borrow a Kindle 3.1 (or use the method below) I think there should be no problem.

An alternative method - which works both with and without any binary installation of Duokan (in the latter case just copy the DK-folders to the USB root directory of the Kindle) - is to start up Duokan within Kindle environment using Launchpad. It is very convenient and much faster than to reboot everytime you want to switch from Kindle OS to Duokan. Just put attached startdk.sh in DK_system folder and attached duokan.ini in Launchpad folder and reboot. Then you start Duokan with [Shift][Menu] (within the Kindle OS) and move back to Kindle OS with [Shift][Back] (keys should be pressed in rapid sequence but not simultaneously). It takes still some time so be patient after Launchpad states "Success".

I also include a browser.ini to be placed in Launchpad folder. Then you start browser from any screen with [Shift][Home]. Finally I start mplayer from Launchpad using mplayer.ini. Use [Shift][Up] on four way controller to start the music, [Shift][Down] to stop the music, [Shift][Right] to advance to next song and [Shift][Left] to return to previous song.

I have had some problems that Launchpad stops working. I think it is when Kindle powers down automatically. I need then to reboot to make Launchpad active again. To make Kindle OS default during reboot you can "Set DK System" in Duokan settings to Off
Attached Files
File Type: zip DuokanLaunchpad.zip (885 Bytes, 351 views)

Last edited by DickeFix; 05-26-2011 at 12:06 PM.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #182
gaudi3
gaudi3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, My wish: Dasung monitor 13.3" My dream: Dasung monitor 32"
Hi, I am a new owner of the Kindle DXG. I used to wait so long for new version Kindle DX, but thanks to this forum and the user Yifanlu I have decided to buy current Kindle DXG. My procrastinate was based on old firmware. I am going to use my new reader generally to read pdf files, so size for me is very important. English is not my native language, so I also need easy to use dictionary. I know that life is not perfect, but Kindle DX could have better service for dictionary in pdf files like Kindle 3 has. So I was waiting, until now...

Yifanlu, you are a great man, support others with great solutions. Amazon should pay you, because I buy my Kindle only due to possibility to use dictionary on my pdf files on 9.7” e-ink screen. Who knows what I will buy, if I have to wait a couple of months?

Kindle DXG is my first reader, so I have to learn it first. Then I will use Jailbreak and Yifanlu’s Beta 4 updater to Kindle 3 firmware. I will write here how it works.

Last edited by gaudi3; 05-27-2011 at 05:40 PM.
gaudi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #183
biodu
Enthusiast
biodu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
An alternative method - which works both with and without any binary installation of Duokan (in the latter case just copy the DK-folders to the USB root directory of the Kindle) - is to start up Duokan within Kindle environment using Launchpad.
Indeed, thanks DickeFix . This makes things really comfortable. Now the DXG really rocks!

Big thanks also to Yifanlu and all the techie guys who helped creating this.
biodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #184
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I'm thinking of finalizing this project and moving on. Once I get conformation that this works correctly (minus known bugs) on all models of kindles, I will move this out of beta. So if this ever worked for you, regardless if you told me before or not, post your kindle model, 3G type, and the version of this hack. Thanks!
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #185
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
another DXG upgraded (v2.5.8 -> v3.2.1; kindle-updater-b4.zip).
Thanks yifanlu, works like a charm.

Tested mobis and pdfs only.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #186
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
It worked for kindle dx us ,2.5.8 .Everything goes fine
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #187
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
It worked for kindle dx us ,2.5.8 .Everything goes fine
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #188
liuto
Connoisseur
liuto is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG / Kindle 3
That's really GREAT! Thanks yifanlu!

A question:
Why the readme.txt file said :
-----------

REQUIREMENTS

-Both host and client are jailbroken
-----------

From its instruction, I didnot see any needed for jailbroken.

Thanks,
Nian
liuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #189
renzokuken
renzokuken began at the beginning.

Update 4 works flawlessly on my Kindle DXG.
The problem is now hacks for DXG won't install successfully on my DXG and hacks for Kindle 3 don't run on my DXG (the update option is blurred out). What should I do toward this ?
renzokuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #190
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I'm thinking of finalizing this project and moving on
Since you are nearing completion, may I add a special request yifanlu. I think that many Kindle3 only owners have been following your thread with great interest and hope:

If you have some more time could you prepare a package for Kindle 3 only where you would 1) patch the recovery program so it can run it with no password 2) update the recovery program signing key and 3) build a recovery update containing a dumped image signed with the jailbreak key.

Many would very much like to safeguard such a package on their PC for the day disaster strikes.

I realise that the fionaxxxx password can be calculated and a serial adapter built for unbricking form the console port, but the ability to unbrick through the USB port only, makes the process so much easier and accessible.

Thanks for considering and just forget my request if your todo list is already loaded.
PoP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #191
liuto
Connoisseur

My DXG (B009) got upgraded (v2.5.8 -> v3.1; kindle-updater-b4.zip).
It runs very well on my DXG, I can even upgrade without uninstall Duokan. the onlything is it is little bit slower than Duokan.
Thanks yifanlu and DickeFix, works like a charm.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #192
liuto
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
Update 4 works flawlessly on my Kindle DXG.
The problem is now hacks for DXG won't install successfully on my DXG and hacks for Kindle 3 don't run on my DXG (the update option is blurred out). What should I do toward this ?
I have this issue too. none of hacks can be installed...
Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #193
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

been saying this could be done ever since the dxg came out, wonder why amazon never did it. Pretty funny that you can just rip the SW off the K3 and it'll run on the DX with no issues...
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #194
liuto
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuto View Post
I have this issue too. none of hacks can be installed...
Well... after several reboots. I have got hacks worked! at least I can confirm these hacks work:

yifanlu's jailbreak (it already there after upgrade)
usbnetwork 0.33N
launchpad 0.01c and DickeFix's Duokan script

Great!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #195
renzokuken
renzokuken began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuto View Post
Well... after several reboots. I have got hacks worked! at least I can confirm these hacks work:

yifanlu's jailbreak (it already there after upgrade)
usbnetwork 0.33N
launchpad 0.01c and DickeFix's Duokan script

Great!
Thank you for your head up. It's the same with mine too after several messing around, and those are exactly the hacks I applied also.
Happy camper now.
Much thanks to yilanfu and nulije.
renzokuken is offline   Reply With Quote