Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanYi View Post
What people and devices can get a new home screen?
From what I've seen, it's not being pushed out to everyone and for me is only showing on my higher resolution devices (Aura HD, Aura H2O and KA1).
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I highly disagree with that choice of firmware. 3.19.5761 is better. That's what I was using before trying the 4.2.8432. I'm interested in seeing the new home screen and the series sort.
Series sort is irrelevant to me and the home screen sounds much less useful. I'm staying put on all my Kobos for now. I'm glad sync doesn't matter to me, either - no reason to turn on the WiFi.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Series sort is irrelevant to me and the home screen sounds much less useful. I'm staying put on all my Kobos for now. I'm glad sync doesn't matter to me, either - no reason to turn on the WiFi.
I am going to try the new firmware once the patches are available.

As for the 3.19 firmware, I did find 3.19.5761 to be slightly faster than the previous 3.19 firmware which is why if I go back, I'd go with 3.19.5761.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am going to try the new firmware once the patches are available.

As for the 3.19 firmware, I did find 3.19.5761 to be slightly faster than the previous 3.19 firmware which is why if I go back, I'd go with 3.19.5761.
Thanks, Jon; that's a good reason.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks, Jon; that's a good reason.
Happy to help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #51
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Got the update, but thankfully not the new homescreen on my Aura One. It was also stuck syncing when I first looked at it this morning, and the battery was pretty low. When I canceled the sync, it said last synced 2/18. Obviously not true, since I have the update and a book purchased yesterday. I've always liked the Kobo homescreen much better than other readers so I really hope the new one doesn't show up for me at all. Since I never shop on my device, it would be a total waste.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #52
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
being updating vi wifi. I'll see how it turns. Hope the poor accurency of the touch will improve.

Edit : so far, more responsive screen, but the accurency is not better than before (I like to read with a realy tiny font size, I think that is why)

I can't say that I care much for the new home screen and the inability to dismiss the tiles that are of no use to me, but I spend so little time on the home screen that that'll do. This device is (for me at least) to read books and that's what I'll do with it. I've got plenty of other devices for other uses.

Last edited by vice-versa; 02-22-2017 at 02:34 PM.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #53
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I think some of us will like the MyWords feature. I did not yet see how one can "read definitions, and view examples of how they're used in your books," but to have them listed in the database is already pretty useful.
I am not sure if this was available in previous FWs, since I did not look for the settings lately.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #54
Boneist
Enthusiast
Boneist doesn't litterBoneist doesn't litterBoneist doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

There are no changes that affect the use with calibre. I have updated the driver to accept the new firmware version. This should be in the next calibre release. In the meantime, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firwmare" option.
Hi David,

I've got the same sort of issue that I had in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272569 but instead of the subtitles being present, it seems like the Title is not being updated in the Kobo database from Calibre. I've updated the metatadata on my device (Kobo Aura H2O) both from Calibre's device and Kobo Utilities drop down menus and unplugged and replugged my device in several times in the hopes that that would sort it. It always has in the past as far as I can tell.

Is this possibly related to the new firmware or should I raise a separate question for it, do you think?
Boneist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #55
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo might not be enabling the new home screen on all devices or everyone.
Could you please elaborate a little on the "everyone"-part?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #56
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Has anybody tested the sort by series?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #57
TheZephyr
TheZephyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From what I've seen, it's not being pushed out to everyone and for me is only showing on my higher resolution devices (Aura HD, Aura H2O and KA1).
I have a H2O and i didn't get the new homescreen. I just updated this morning :/
TheZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #58
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZephyr View Post
I have a H2O and i didn't get the new homescreen. I just updated this morning :/
I updated this morning using the Mark 5 firmware on here and I do have the new home screen. I have a H20.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Could you please elaborate a little on the "everyone"-part?
We're led to believe they are doing usability testing, and have a random selection seeing the new home screen.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #60
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The Gresyscale Dithering of Gradient colours has *finally* been fixed in the Epub viewer,, it looks much better now..

Sadly, the change did not make it to the CBZ viewer, (I would immagine the comic/manga readers are most affected),, but it's nice to see this long standing deficiency get addressed.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote