Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #346
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Kobo latest update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kobo has released another firmware update for Mark 3, Mark 4, Mark 5 and Mark 6 devices.

Mark 6:

Mark 6 4.3.8842

Mark 5:

Mark 5 4.3.8842

Mark 4:

Mark 4 4.3.8842

Mark 3:

Mark 3 4.3.8842

The major change seems to be the home screen (for higher res devices), series sort in Library view, brightness level now changes by 1%, etc.

The usual very uninformative Kobo release notes: Your ereader software has been upgraded. DUH!!

Have fun!
Serious request (I believe I've asked this previously, several years ago) If you post these download links for firmware upgrades PLEASE, PLEASE include the instructions (or link to the instructions) on how to manually install them!

They should be a sticky post IMHO. Currently my Kobo H2O says it has firmware version 4.3.8945, and sync on the Kobo desktop does not say there's an firmware update available, let alone install the 4.3.8842 update.
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #347
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLV View Post
Serious request (I believe I've asked this previously, several years ago) If you post these download links for firmware upgrades PLEASE, PLEASE include the instructions (or link to the instructions) on how to manually install them!

They should be a sticky post IMHO. Currently my Kobo H2O says it has firmware version 4.3.8945, and sync on the Kobo desktop does not say there's an firmware update available, let alone install the 4.3.8842 update.
https://mobileread.cdn.speedyrails.n...sadd1/help.gif
The Kobo Firmware Releases sticky post in the Kobo Developer's Corner points to a Mobileread wiki entry also called Kobo Firmware Releases. Search and ye shall find.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #348
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now even more obsolete this thread is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #349
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Jon: Pointless post number ??? The only reason anyone is seeing this thread is that you posted to it four days after the last post. Otherwise, it would a fallen off the first page to be forgotten. All you've actually done is resurrect it and make it visible. If someone want to post in the older firmware threads, you should probably ignore it, unless you are actually answering the question. And a valid answer is "This is fixed in firmware x.x.x. See that thread for information.".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #350
Crescendo63
Crescendo63 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Edit: reverted to old homescreen by emptying abtest table in koboreader.sqlite
Hi! It seems you're the only one mentioning this way to get back the old home screen (I would LOVE it! ).

Thus I opened the sqlite DB, found the AbTest table, but now I don't know what to do with it.
Can you please explain what you did?

Thanks a lot!
Crescendo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #351
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I emptied it (removed all records from that table, then reboot).

Might not do anything in more recent versions anymore. Also might only have worked by a fluke
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #352
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #353
Crescendo63

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I emptied it (removed all records from that table, then reboot).

Might not do anything in more recent versions anymore. Also might only have worked by a fluke
Alas, it didn't work for me

I removed all records from ABTest table but one (couldn't delete the last one remaining), copied the file back to Kobo, switched it off and on again: no change whatsoever.
Thank for your help anyway.

Now I think I need to downgrade the software to v. 4.3 to get back the previous home screen (right now I have v. 4.4.9344).
Can someone point me to a page with simple instructions to do that? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #354
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescendo63 View Post
Alas, it didn't work for me

I removed all records from ABTest table but one (couldn't delete the last one remaining), copied the file back to Kobo, switched it off and on again: no change whatsoever.
Thank for your help anyway.

Now I think I need to downgrade the software to v. 4.3 to get back the previous home screen (right now I have v. 4.4.9344).
Can someone point me to a page with simple instructions to do that? Thanks.
Factory reset and then install the 4.3 version of your choice. But if you are going back just for the home screen, then you'll miss any other new firmware. IMHO, not a good idea.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #355
Crescendo63

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you are going back just for the home screen, then you'll miss any other new firmware. IMHO, not a good idea.
I know, I know... I'm torn.
I really despise the new home screen, but I wonder what I'll miss with new firmwares. Maybe nothing at all?

E.g., a recent firmware (or system) update deleted all of my content!
Thank god I had a backup, but it was shocking and annoying all the same.

Since I got my Kobo Aura, I didn't notice much change with all the updates (save for the dreaded new home screen - and it was a change for the worse).
What could I miss if I stayed with v. 4.3?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #356
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
New features and bug fixes.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #357
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

New bugs?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #358
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
New bugs?
so true.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote