Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #451
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
The "Online Returns Center" is for pbooks so suggesting "Janki B." didn't understand the question and was giving a boiler plate reply

That's a besetting sin of Amazon email replies - I recommend online chat.
Thank you, and my apologies to other MobileReaders who were mislead! How naive of me to think that I actually would get a personal reply!

Well, I've got $4.00 of ebooks that I don't know if will be fixed or not. Of course, if the boilerplate message is truthful, I can return them. I'd like to hang on to them for a while, though, because I'd like to keep them if they get fixed. But, I feel like I run the risk of waiting past some kind of deadline, whether stated or unstated, that they impose on such things.

But, I probably have nothing to worry about. At the end of the message, it said that Amazon wanted to "build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company." I wonder if that was boilerplate? ha

Chat it is, next time. And with a transcription sent to me when I'm through.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #452
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
...can return them. I'd like to hang on to them for a while, though, because I'd like to keep them if they get fixed.
You have 7 days to return Kindle books. Amazon has been known to remove that option from the accounts of users who abuse the option.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #453
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
You have 7 days to return Kindle books. Amazon has been known to remove that option from the accounts of users who abuse the option.
Thanks. We've got a department here in Florida which does nothing but collect debts for people who can't afford to take someone to court. I've been wanting to try it out . . . . Then there's small claims court. One thing that made a real impression on my mind when I was associated with Walmart for several years (no, I wasn't a cart pusher. ha) is that the thing that big corporations are afraid of more than anything is bad publicity. They are terrified of it. I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the meetings of high-level executives at United Airlines now.

I've never tried to return an ebook anywhere close to 7 days later, or even 7 hours later. About the only time that I needed to return an ebook is when I've accidentally clicked on a purchase link. In some configurations of the Amazon product webpages, a purchase link (a button) is located right below an innocuous link, which is in very small letters, that I meant to click on.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-19-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #454
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've fat-thumbed one or two in the years since 2009. I returned a gift book via CS because it was a formatting hot mess. Another was returned because the author had released an old book under a new title.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #455
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
A Candid Examination of the Scofield Bible, by Pieters. (is free epub,mobi,pdf)

“The Scofield Bible may be called perhaps the most influential single work thrust into the religious life of America during the twentieth century. Those who use this work are, in other respects, among the best Christians in our churches. These good people do not lack faith and zeal, but they sadly lack knowledge; and the tragedy of the situation lies just here, that this is the very thing they think they have obtained from the Scofield Bible! In general Bible knowledge, Scofield makes many mistakes, and in his eschatology he goes far astray from anything the Church has ever believed.”

This booklet holds four erroneous doctrinal areas of the Scofield Bible up to biblical light to reveal its errors and set the reader on the right path of orthodox Christianity: 1) artificial typology, 2) doctrine of dispensations and covenants, 3) eschatology, and 4) doctrine of the church.

http://www.chapellibrary.org/book/ce...field-bible,-a
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #456
egf
egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.egf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle for PC
Kindle Deals - The Blazing Center

The Blazing Center periodically collects Kindle books on sale. They tend to find books related to church issues, doctrine, and theology, typically by well-known authors. The prices tend to be between $0.99 and $3.99 on sale. I've picked up quite a few very good books there (and I check their site almost every day).

The link is:

http://theblazingcenter.com/kindle
egf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #457
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egf View Post
The Blazing Center periodically collects Kindle books on sale. They tend to find books related to church issues, doctrine, and theology, typically by well-known authors. The prices tend to be between $0.99 and $3.99 on sale. I've picked up quite a few very good books there (and I check their site almost every day).

The link is:

http://theblazingcenter.com/kindle
Looks like a good site, after I did a cursory look.

I thought that I was aware of about every good website out there, showing religious ebooks free, marked down etc. But I wasn't aware of this one.

I will definitely bookmark this site under my "Check These Daily" bookmarks.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #458
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How to Think About God by Mortimer J Alder.

I got this book on the old sony store which transferred over to the kobo store. On a whim I went to the kobo site and saw it's available at the ridiculous low price of .99. IMHO, this book provides a brilliant cosmological argument for the existence of God.
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/how...source=App_Acq

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 07-07-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #459
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post

I got this book on the old sony store which transferred over to the kobo store. On a whim I went to the kobo site and saw it's available at the ridiculous low price of .99. IMHO, this book provides a brilliant cosmological argument for the existence of God.
Not to try to upstage you--I never would have known about the following if it had not been for your post--but Amazon has the same(?) book for 99 cents, also.

It's entitled How to Think About God: A Guide for the 20th-century Pagan : One Who Does Not Worship the God of Christians, Jews, or Muslims, Irreligious Persons.

The reason that I put a question mark after "same" is that it almost sounds, from the book description and subtitle, that this is a revision of some kind. I don't think that Adler ever revised his book. I think, but am not sure, that the text is one and the same as the original. It almost sounds like the publisher might be trying to throw people off so that they buy the book again, thinking that this is an update, revision, or whatever.

So, choose your poison--Kobo or Amazon. I'm an Amazonian, so I bought the Kindle version. I haven't followed your Kobo link yet. The Kobo would have been nice, because I would like to have it in another format, if something happened and the Kindle or Kobo disappeared one day from my hard drive. Stranger things have happened.

I've got the dead-tree version, somewhere in this mayhem around me that I call the inside of my house.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Think-Abo...hink+about+god.

ADDENDUM: The Kobo book has the same-looking cover. Oop, it's Rakuten Kobo now. Excuse me.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 07-07-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #460
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:

Something Adler for only $0.99 is wonderful!
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #461
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I've got probably every book of his, in dead-tree paperback, at least. But I haven't gotten around to reading any one of them (coincidentally--I think that one of his titles is How to Read a Book. ha).

Thanks to everyone for your kudos on the book--I'll be even more likely to read it now. But this is one that I wish were available in (affordable) audio.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #462
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
If you don't already have a kobo account you could get the book for free via the promotional five dollar credit account for new users.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/5creditoffer
Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #463
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I've got probably every book of his, in dead-tree paperback, at least. But I haven't gotten around to reading any one of them (coincidentally--I think that one of his titles is How to Read a Book. ha).

Thanks to everyone for your kudos on the book--I'll be even more likely to read it now. But this is one that I wish were available in (affordable) audio.
I have in front of me two books by Adler, The Four Dimension of Philosophy and Truth in Religion. In both books he references William James' book Some Problems of Philosophy https://librivox.org/some-problems-o...william-james/

Perhaps listening to this librivox recording will peak your interest to dust off those paperback books of Adler.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #464
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I only wish I had everything of his, but I only have a few for now. I own and have read How to Read a Book, and I still dip in it on and off.

Quote:
If you don't already have a kobo account you could get the book for free via the promotional five dollar credit account for new users.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/5creditoffer
I bought it from Amazon. I used the $5 offer already, on an account that wasn't new by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know why I was offered the credit on an old account but I didn't refuse it. I used it to buy a book by Elisabeth Elliot
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #465
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Just in case people missed this in its separate thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
2 Peter, 2 & 3 John, Jude: Beware of the Religious Imposters by Warren W. Wiersbe is another volume in his Wiersbe Bible Study series of study guides cum derived life lessons accompanying his BE series of bible commentary, this one covering the titular parts of the New Testament, free for a limited time courtesy of Christian publisher David C. Cook.

Currently free, probably just for the next couple of days @ Amazon (available to Canadians & in the UK), Kobo & iTunes & Google Play (all available to Canadians), ChristianBook (DRM-free ePub hypothetically available to selected countries if they ever get around to allowing downloads of the freebies again) and possibly other venues listed on the publisher's catalogue page

Description
The early church was facing a growing problem: Spiritual counterfeits. From false doctrine to mixed messages, Christians were struggling to separate fact from fiction. Sensing this threat to their young churches the apostles rallied to defend the Gospel in an extraordinary series of letters. This study of 2 Peter, 2 & 3 John, and Jude explores how we can discern truth and stand firm on God’s word.

The Wiersbe Bible Study Series explores timeless wisdom found in God’s word. Based on Dr. Warren W. Wiersbe’s popular “BE” series, each study provides topical, relevant insights from selected books of the Bible. Designed for small groups, this eight-week study features selected commentaries from Be Delivered, engaging questions, and practical applications, all designed to help you connect God’s word with your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
I was bored so I checked my Kindle account to see how many of these commentaries we've received for free over my few years here.

Of the 27 books of the New Testament, I now have 24.5 of them covered by Wiersbe commentaries. I think I bought 2 of them as part of a cheap bundle, but the rest have been freebies.

Of the 39 books of the Old Testament, I only have 15 of the books covered.

And that includes two books that I just bought in a single volume 99 cent sale. Figured I'd throw them a bone. Be Restored covers 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles.
https://www.amazon.com/Be-Restored-S...4MRBJ0W3EPYKY4
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote