Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Which screen protector has no artifact?

Is there any screen protector that has no artifact at all? I want a screen protector that doesn't change the display quality and doesn't add any more reflection than the device already has. Most of the screen protectors I heard about are either reflective or anti glare but the anti glare one changes the display quality somewhat. It may looked pixelated or it may dull the color somewhat. This is for iPad Pro 12.9" second generation
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Is there any screen protector that has no artifact at all? I want a screen protector that doesn't change the display quality and doesn't add any more reflection than the device already has. Most of the screen protectors I heard about are either reflective or anti glare but the anti glare one changes the display quality somewhat. It may looked pixelated or it may dull the color somewhat. This is for iPad Pro 12.9" second generation
I've used iPads for years, and there's absolutely no need for a screen protector. The screen is toughened glass, not the comparatively soft plastic of some other devices (eg most eInk readers), and extremely resistant to scratching. Just use a cover that protects the screen when the iPad is not in use (I like the Apple "Smart Covers", but there are lots of different ones available) and you'll be fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I don't use screen protectors on my tablets, but I do have one on my phone.

There's really no need for one on a tablet if you use a cover. Tempered glass screen protectors are probably your best bet if you feel you want or must have one on your tablet though. They are glass, so will be reflective.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Count me in as an iPad user who only uses screen protectors on my iPhones. I scratched the screen on my first 4s, from keys in my purse. Now they get tempured glass protectors.

My iPad Pro 12.9" is in a ESR Smart Cover, with no screen protector. If I had to travel with it, I'd use a heftier cover, but still no screen protector. I did buy Apple Care.

The one iPad I broke wouldn't have been saved by a screen protector. I dropped it, screen down, on a metal carpet strip.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The one iPad I broke wouldn't have been saved by a screen protector. I dropped it, screen down, on a metal carpet strip.
But it would have been saved by a cover!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it would have been saved by a cover!

It was in a cover, that in part was the reason I dropped it. It was a cover that opens and one side stays flat and you prop the bottom edge in a groove. I was holding the prop side, and it sort of flipped open and pivoted and the weight carried it right out of my hand.

I was careless really...it didn't fall that far. Sold it on eBay, cracked screen and all, for a decent price, and used the money to help buy my iPad Pro 12.9".
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It was in a cover, that in part was the reason I dropped it. It was a cover that opens and one side stays flat and you prop the bottom edge in a groove. I was holding the prop side, and it sort of flipped open and pivoted and the weight carried it right out of my hand.

I was careless really...it didn't fall that far. Sold it on eBay, cracked screen and all, for a decent price, and used the money to help buy my iPad Pro 12.9".
Oh dear, most unfortunate!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks to those who are replying. I now not only use my iPad without the screen protector but also without the rugged case. From now on, I just use a protective sleeve when the iPad is leaving the house.

Without the screen protector, the screen is much more pleasant to look at. No more annoying glare and other artifacts when the screen is on and no more rainbow effect when the screen is off. Without the rugged case, the iPad feels much lighter and much more comfortable to hold.

I still have a question though. Could I still scratch the screen if I use the Apple Pencil? The tip of the Apple Pencil is made of soft material and wouldn't scratch the screen but what if a dirt or a dust particle is trapped between the tip of the pencil and the glass screen and enough pressure is applied against it, could I still scratch the screen?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
I still have a question though. Could I still scratch the screen if I use the Apple Pencil? The tip of the Apple Pencil is made of soft material and wouldn't scratch the screen but what if a dirt or a dust particle is trapped between the tip of the pencil and the glass screen and enough pressure is applied against it, could I still scratch the screen?
I use an Apple Pencil all the time. They are designed to be used that way...I do wipe my screen multiple times per day if I've used my fingers.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Original Apple displays are made from strong stuff. Unless your dirt is diamond grit or you're being incredibly careless, you're fine. I've beeing throwing iPhones into my pocket or handbag for years, and have never had a screen protector on my iPads either.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote