Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
ghazali
ghazali began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
E-book websites ?

I am planning on buying a Sony reader but before that I want to browse some websites that sell Sony-compatible e-books, apart from Sony ebookstore and the Waterstones, any suggestions ?
ghazali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

Read the list of ebooks store on MR's wiki. The most popular sites are Fictionwise.com and Booksonboard.com. The Sony device can read DRM and non-DRM epub and pdf, DRM lrx and non-DRM lrf. Other formats like lit and mobi can be converted to epub and lrf.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I've bought several books from BooksOnBoard and had good luck with them. I recently bought my first fictionwise book also, except they seem to be limited in their selection, so I haven't really shopped on that website much. You can also get ebooks from your local library and read them on the sony, if your library system has an ebook collection. You can find out about that on the wiki page too.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Feedbooks.com (or .net)
BookViewCafe.com
BooksOnBoard.com
Tor.com
Fictionwise.com
And of course, right here for free in the uploads section (blue bar across the top, click on "ebooks")

Anywhere that you have the option of getting it in ePub format, go for it. That format just seems to naturally look better on my 505 than the Sony lrx lrf formatted books. I use the Sony software, but only because I'm too lazy to get involved with Calibre. I think Calibre is probably the better software.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
ghazali

Thanks, Grooks, Kelly1010, and DixieGal for your replies. I found them very helpful.

Okay, so now I know some good sites where I could purchase e-books. And I've learnt that besides Sony's own format, I could read ePub and PDF on the Reader, as well.

Two questions:

1. I read somewhere on these forums that PDF files need to be adjusted before they could be read on the Reader, else the fonts appear too small. Is that true ?

2. I have a lot of books on my PC in txt or rtf formats; would they appear properly formatted in my Reader ?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazali View Post
Thanks, Grooks, Kelly1010, and DixieGal for your replies. I found them very helpful.

Okay, so now I know some good sites where I could purchase e-books. And I've learnt that besides Sony's own format, I could read ePub and PDF on the Reader, as well.

Two questions:

1. I read somewhere on these forums that PDF files need to be adjusted before they could be read on the Reader, else the fonts appear too small. Is that true ?

2. I have a lot of books on my PC in txt or rtf formats; would they appear properly formatted in my Reader ?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.
1 That depends largely on the defined font sizes. PDFs that come in A4 size are generally hard to read on your reader (if not reflowable)

3. If the books do not have hard line breaks (no defined break after each line) those should be okay. Otherwise they will not be rendered nicely. There are tools and editors to get rid of those line breaks, however.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
I mostly get my books from Fictionwise. They have a good range of very nice books.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
ghazali

One Question

I live outside the U.S. In fact, I live in Dubai, the Middle East.

Are there restrictions on e-book websites regarding selling outside the U.S. ?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazali View Post
I live outside the U.S. In fact, I live in Dubai, the Middle East.

Are there restrictions on e-book websites regarding selling outside the U.S. ?
Yes, but

1) not that many books are affected
2) you can circumvent that by using Paypal for paying
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote