Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try this ==>> Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the list of image file extensiosn comes from the supported image formats in Qt. Which in turn comes from the list of qt image plugins. For some reason on your system the image plugins are not being picked up. Check if they have been quarantined by an antivirus. The plugin files are in app/plugins/imageformats inside the calibr installation folder. It should contain the files qgif.dll qicns.dll qico.dll qjpeg.dll qsvg.dll qtga.dll qtiff.dll qwbmp.dll qwebp.dll
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 01:09 AM   #18
FulciLives
Connoisseur
FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (2017 Model)
Here's what I got...

(Please See Attached Image)

By the way, the only Anti-Virus that I am running is the one built into Windows 10 aka Windows Defender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zamdr9h.png
Views:	224
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	174012  

Last edited by FulciLives; 10-06-2019 at 01:17 AM.
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then I'm at a loss, sorry, I sugget downgrading to 3.48 for the moment.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:22 AM   #20
FulciLives
Connoisseur
FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My apologies. I feel like I've been a thorn in your side here since it seems I'm the only one having the issue.

I guess I will go back to 3.48 for now.

Cheers and thank you very much for your time.
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 02:26 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No worries, big updates to Qt like this one always have a few system where weird things happen. Hopefully once things settle down, a solution will be found.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:10 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
My apologies. I feel like I've been a thorn in your side here since it seems I'm the only one having the issue.

I guess I will go back to 3.48 for now.

Cheers and thank you very much for your time.
Did you try an sfc /scannow - it's a long shot, but it wouldn't do any harm - that is if it's not too late.

BR
Old 10-06-2019, 03:34 AM   #23
FulciLives
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you try an sfc /scannow - it's a long shot, but it wouldn't do any harm - that is if it's not too late.

BR
I did it after my last reply.

It did find errors which, according to the LOG, it was able to repair A-OK.

However, that seemed to make no changes with my Calibre issues.

I've gone back to 3.48 and everything appears to be fine just as it was before. My covers are showing up as they should.

Go figure *shrugs*
Old 10-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I did it after my last reply.

It did find errors which, according to the LOG, it was able to repair A-OK.

However, that seemed to make no changes with my Calibre issues.

I've gone back to 3.48 and everything appears to be fine just as it was before. My covers are showing up as they should.

Go figure *shrugs*
Try booting into safe mode and then installing Calibre 4.0. If it works, it's something you run when the system starts or a driver that gets loaded in normal mod but not safe mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Kovid - I don't know if is this is relevant, but I'm puzzled

In Metadata Edit when I Browse for a cover I sometimes get this in the file type selector

Code:
"Images (*.png; *.jpeg; *.jpg; *.gif)"
at other times I get this

Code:
"Images (*.bmp; *.cur; *.gif; *.icns; *.ico; *.jpeg; *.jpg; *.pbm; *.pgm; *.png; *.ppm; *.svg; *.svgz; *.tga; *.tif; *.tiff; *.wbmp; *.webp; *.xbm; *.xpm)
In the Comments Editor Browse I've seen that long list, but I've also had the shorter list. And FulciLives gets this in Browse for a Cover

Code:
"Images (*.bmp; *.cur; *.pbm; *.pgm; *.png; *.ppm; *.xbm; *.xpm)
I can't find any pattern as to why i see different things in different places at different times - but I would have thought the file type list for "Images" should be a constant.

BR
Old 10-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's just different code, in some places it uses the list of spported Qt images in others it uses a simpler hardcoded list.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:15 AM   #27
FulciLives
Connoisseur

It somehow just works in Calibre 3.48 despite not working for me in 4.0

[See Attached Image]

I see that 4.1 is out now but I'm afraid to try it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-08_05-10-02.png
Views:	207
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	174059  
Old 10-08-2019, 05:32 AM   #28
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
It somehow just works in Calibre 3.48 despite not working for me in 4.0

[See Attached Image]

I see that 4.1 is out now but I'm afraid to try it.
Could you try calibre portable instead of the install version. You can use it without uninstalling the current version.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah 3.x is a different, much older version of Qt. So it's not surprising. I doubt 4.1 will help, there were no Qt image plugins or build changes.

You could try getting some debug output using the environment variable QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 to see why Qt is failing to load its image plugins on your system.

Something like

Code:
set QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1
calibre-debug -c "from PyQt5.Qt import *; app = QApplication([]); print(QImageReader.supportedImageFormats())"
Old 06-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #30
pclark999
pclark999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi - I have got a similar problem. Every time I install a new version of Calibre 4, i lose all cover art and the program won't let me add in new .jpg files as covers (says "ValueError: Failed to export image as JPEG with error:Unsupported image format"). The qtjpeg.dll file seems to be in the apps folder, but the program won't see any .jpg files in my library even though all are visible in v 3.48. I would like to upgrade to 4.18 now as also now having the problem with my paperwhite were cover art is being wiped whenever i connect online.

Anything you can suggest to help??
pclark999 is offline   Reply With Quote