Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
Tithemi
Tithemi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
All the images in my book are now extension .unknown

Hi, everyone!

I just imported an azw3 book from my 2012 Kindle Paperwhite into Calibre 4.18, and noticed that images weren't loading. The cover .jpeg was fine, but all images in the book itself were there but broken.

Opening the book in edit mode, all those images have the file extension .unknown, which I *assume* is the problem! The editing interface doesn't even list them as images, understandably: it calls them miscellaneous files.

Is this a known issue? How did I manage do it, and is there a way to restore the images?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Tithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe they are typed as one thing (e.g. 'jpg'), but are in fact something else (e.g. 'png') - and the editor image handler made them 'unknown'.

I've not seen that in ebooks, but I have often seen it in web pages.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Sometimes Kindle books in KF8 (azw3) format have placeholders for images with the actual images contained in a separate azw6 container file. As far as I know calibre does not handle that case.

If that is what is happening here you can use the "Download & transfer via USB" function of the Amazon website to download a copy of the book with images in place.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-11-2020 at 07:56 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
Tithemi
Tithemi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Solved!

Thank you very much, jhowell - that was it!

I really should have noticed that the .unknown files were all FOUR BYTES....
Tithemi is offline   Reply With Quote