Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
silencer
silencer began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
I researched and decided.

Yesterday I received my new ebook reader.
Oh certainly there were options, choices and some were quite decent.
After spending about 10 hrs lurking on this site, I decided: The Sony reader would be the best bet for the money ESP if the new firmware came out.

I opened the box (which was crushed by UPS) and inside I discovered a completely charged and operational prs505.
It cost $265 plus tax and shipping for a total to my door of $313.00

I plugged it in and upgraded the firmware - which had JUST came out. Suddenly my PDFs were going to be completely usable!
What WAS a disappointment was the software.
It just is horrible to use.

I have been copying the books directly. Clean, easy.
The only issue that gets me is that even though all of my PDF's are neatly named (example J. R. R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings Collection.pdf), when the books load it into the reader, I get almost useless info, as apparently PDF's have meta tag information that I was unaware of, thus it sometimes is completely wrong.
I managed to find a variety of software that helped me a lot. Vadi's book sorter is crucial. Clone remover is a godsend. Thats it. I tried calibre, ABC AMBER, ebook library, MY ebook library, advanced PDF tools and a host of others.
None seem to be able to use my filenames as metatag info. So much for thinking this would be easy and automatic like for mp3s.

So, I am going to wait til an easy answer comes along, because lord knows I have more things to do (like reading) then to spend hours correcting metatag info.
Now, if only the books posted here in BBeB format were available as one download....

Thanks for all of the help, you didn't know you were helping, but you all did.
Had it not been for the member posts here (from all device owners) I could not have made as good a choice for me as I did.
Proud to be a member.
silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi silencer and welcome to the Forum. I've had a Sony since January and like it a lot. And you'll find lots of friendly help here on the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Congrats on the Reader. It's the one gadget I can't do without! Welcome to the forums.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
congrats, welcome, and be sure to check out Calibre as a replacement for the Sony software - you can also use Calibre to mass-edit metadata, although no automatic tagging like for MP3's, I'm afraid At least, not at the moment.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
and a section on this forum that deals with it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I don't think Calibre's able to tweak PDF metadata - not sure what is, actually...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Oh? I thought that worked. Well, coming back to the original poster's automation wish, PDFtk can edit PDF metadata. It is commandline and cross-platform, too.

So if all your PDFs use a given naming format (say "author - title.pdf") automation would be possible. The script would have to do

1) pick apart the filename and store the results in a temporary text file formatted as follows:
InfoKey: Author
InfoValue: <AUTHORNAME>
InfoKey: Title
InfoValue: <BOOKTITLE>
2) Update the PDF metadata with pdftk's update_info function
3) delete the temporary file and restart from (1) with the next book

As long as your PDFs are named in a consistent fashion this would work.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have found that the only decent converter is BookDesigner 4.0. You need the latest patch for lrf support.
Calibre uses html2lrf and the results are abysmal in my experience.

And be careful, if you copy the book directly to the reader, then formatting for lrf will not be done - starting the book and resizing the text will be slow.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Check this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27627

There's a link in the first message for a metadata editor for PDFs and I just tried it on a book where the title was coming up as "Layout 1" on the Sony Library software, Adobe's Digital Editions and on the Reader itself (only Calibre showed it with the proper title in it's library listing, but even using Calibre's metadata editor, I wasn't able to get the Reader to recognize the proper title.)

Anyway, I downloaded the software from the link above and within about 30 seconds after the software finished installing, I had the book retitled and showing up properly in the Library, DE and - after uploading it - on the Reader. Very handy!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
I have found that the only decent converter is BookDesigner 4.0. You need the latest patch for lrf support.
Calibre uses html2lrf and the results are abysmal in my experience.
Have you tried calibre's html2lrf recently? Output from early versions could be pretty bad, but it does a decent job these days. If you find anything it makes a glaringly awful mess of you should submit an issue on the calibre trac.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony 505 experience