Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Kobo Glo vs Kobo Aura backlight

I am planning to buy another Kobo (already have Aura HD) but not sure whether to buy a glo or aura, my main concerns being the backlighting on these devices and text contrast without the backlight on.

I have seen glo in store and it does appear to me to have better contrast than Aura HD when the backlight in off, though lighting on Aura HD seems most even. The Glo's lighting I couldn't accurately gauge because of strong fluorescent lights in the store.

Some reviewers on net have mentioned concern about uneven lighting, blue tint, strong light even on 1% etc on Kobo Glo but those reviews are a bit outdated. I was wondering how are the currently selling Kobo Glo units compare to those of Kobo Aura particularly the backlight. I think Kobo must have improved upon the units that it sold when it was launched some 2 yrs back.

Last edited by indyglow; 07-06-2014 at 07:53 AM.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
First of all, it is not a backlight. It is a front light.

Secondly, I have had in my possession 3 Kobo Glos, and the lighting has varied between them. One of them had a very yellow light. The two I have now, do not have a yellow light. The lighting seems just as good as the Aura. My son uses my black Glo, and he seems to prefer using it with the light off. I always have the light on. The lighting on my Glo is very even, except for some shadowing at the bottom. The light on my Aura does not have any shadowing.

If I could only have one, I'd choose the Aura, it's a little smaller and lighter, and has 4gb memory. Plus the after market case I got for it is better than the same one for the Glo.

I have my brightness set about halfway on both of them. I have never found the lighting to be too bright.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert