Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Onyx Boox i86

I haven't seen any post about it so... new ereader with 8 inch screen from Onyx. What do you think??

Specs are similar to the upcoming T68 and M96:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

What would be better? IR touch or capacitive touch? I have been waiting for T68 long time, but now this i86 looks like a very nice device too!

Last edited by diegoocampo; 03-13-2014 at 11:04 AM.
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Thanks for sharing the news.

I would prefer an 8 inch screen to 6.8 inch.

But i am not at all excited. Onyx has been teasing us with android for the past 15 months. It may take them another year to finally launch their Android 4.0 ereaders.

Regarding Touch : I read that IR touch display is superior to capacitive touch display in clarity/visibility

Last edited by Feher; 03-14-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Thanks for sharing the news.

I would prefer an 8 inch screen to 6.8 inch.

But i am not at all excited. Onyx has been teasing us with android for the past 15 months. It may take them another year to finally launch their Android 4.0 ereaders.

Regarding Touch : I read that IR touch display is superior to capacitive touch display in clarity/visibility
I totally agree. Best IR capacitive screen.
Do not expect much support for these readers with Android. As much an initial update and end of support. That is precisely why they have chosen Android as OS.

Regards -.
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was waiting for M96 and hoping that it will have frontlight. The Facebook link confirms that M96 won't have frontlight.

I will choose i86 over M96 because of frontlight and higher resolution, even though 9.7 inch ereaders have 47% more screen estate than 8 inch ereaders.

As Mentioned here:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-e-ink-screen/
Quote:
This is one of E-ink’s existing screen sizes, and it is actually on the market.
This 8″ screen unit is used in the Pocketbook Color Lux ebook reader.
This also explains why M96 won't be equipped with frontlight as no such units are in production.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
I was waiting for M96 and hoping that it will have frontlight. The Facebook link confirms that M96 won't have frontlight.

I will choose i86 over M96 because of frontlight and higher resolution, even though 9.7 inch ereaders have 47% more screen estate than 8 inch ereaders.

As Mentioned here:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-e-ink-screen/

This also explains why M96 won't be equipped with frontlight as no such units are in production.
i86 should be quicker in flipping through pdf pages then M92 and if reasonably priced I'll buy one to read A5 pdf files and annotate A4 pdfs while simultaneously reading on Kindle DX, for reading footnotes and endnotes if it is easier and faster than using Kindle DX only, using additional dictionaries, searching etc.

Last edited by markom; 03-15-2014 at 11:48 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Feher
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
i86 should be quicker in flipping through pdf pages then M92 and if reasonably priced I'll buy one to read A5 pdf files and annotate A4 pdfs while simultaneously reading on Kindle DX, for reading footnotes and endnotes if it is easier and faster than using Kindle DX only, using additional dictionaries, searching etc.
Yes, I foresee myself using a similar setup - an M92 + i86. I will use M92 for writing notes with stylus and i86 as a faster reference tool.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
This will be my next ereader. Does anyone have any idea when this will be available?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Nothing yet, and I am taking a look all around the Internet every 2 or 3 days. I would like to at least see a review in Youtube or somewhere to at least make the wait less hard. Only thing I know is that Onyx is now in this event: http://www.hkcec.com/front-page, probably showing both the T68 and the i86.

We probably will have to wait a few months because it is planned to first release the T68 and it has been delayed from early 2014 to maybe May...
Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
8" would be perfect - because a regular (mass market) paperback is 8".
Finally!

Unfortunately, an 8" paperback is approximately 4" x 7" (I am measuring one: 4 and 1/8 x 6 and 7/8, i.e., 4.125" x 6.875") and i86, judging from the picture, seems more like 5" x 6.25".
Still not what I want. Maybe in China books are different?

Last edited by parkher; 04-15-2014 at 07:07 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Just so you know Bookeen has an 8 incher on the way as well, the Cybook Ocean http://www.bookeen.com/it/cybook-ocean
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
This one has lower resolution, capacitive touch screen (an additional layer), capacitive buttons (I want mechanical) and linux.
Screen width/height ratio probably similar to i86 as well.

But 8" readers are finally coming back. After iRex DR800 long long time ago. Last millennium.
No? Just 4 years ago?

Last edited by parkher; 04-15-2014 at 07:44 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Just so you know Bookeen has an 8 incher on the way as well, the Cybook Ocean http://www.bookeen.com/it/cybook-ocean
Russian's TeXet also announced TB-418FL , their second 8″ ereader (The retail price 212 $).

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.U00ghnTX2ZR

http://www.texet.ru/tb/e_ink_books/tb418fl.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
8" would be perfect - because a regular (mass market) paperback is 8".
Finally!

Unfortunately, an 8" paperback is approximately 4" x 7" (I am measuring one: 4 and 1/8 x 6 and 7/8, i.e., 4.125" x 6.875") and i86, judging from the picture, seems more like 5" x 6.25".
Still not what I want. Maybe in China books are different?
With margins cropped it is just enough to show a whole paperback page in portraite mode and for those with good vision, its landscape's 6.4" should just be about enough for A4 sized pdfs (margins cropped and two or three screens per page).

Last edited by markom; 04-15-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
It is hardly possible to read scientific A4 paper on 10" in fullscreen. I cannot imagine to read it on 8" screen.

OK, not all A4 texts are printed in two collumns using tiny font. But many are.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
diegoocampo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
It is hardly possible to read scientific A4 paper on 10" in fullscreen. I cannot imagine to read it on 8" screen.

But you can always use it in landscape and with two screens per page should be enough (also the high screen density of the i86 will help)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
markom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

Two column A4 sized pdfs are usually not problematic even for 6" readers because there is 2-column mode in every better reader there, but if 2-column mode is missing or not good enough for our liking we can use k2pdfopt's 2-column mode to optimize pdf beforehand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moiRFi6Ttp4

e.g. With Kindle DX using kindlepdfviewer therein (landscape mode, margins cropped) we can even get slight magnification in comparison to a paper A4 book, because DX's screen is 20 cm wide in landscape mode and two-columns (without empty margins) are usually 18-19 cm wide on A4 paper.

It takes three clicks on the next page button, to pass the whole 2-column page, same as for 2-column mode.

For one-column A4 pdf it takes just one or two clicks, depending on the zooming option.

Last edited by markom; 04-15-2014 at 09:18 PM.