Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
American_Desi
Connoisseur
American_Desi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9"
All data not syncing with Calibre and Calibre Companion

I notice that when I connect my iPad running Calibre Companion to my iMac running Calibre, there will be some pop-ups in Calibre Companion saying that some data is being synced/updated. I assume this is meta-data that I may have edited in Calibre, which is fine and good.

However, I noticed that after syncing, certain data (specifically, the file names, which is noticeable when the book is being exported from CC to a third party reader) does not update, and will not update, unless I remove the files and then resend the files.

If this is a known limitation of Calibre and Calibre Companion, then it is something that can be fixed in a future version?

If it is a setting issue, then can someone help me to figure out how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
American_Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:29 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved thread to Calibre Companion forum
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:58 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Desi View Post
However, I noticed that after syncing, certain data (specifically, the file names, which is noticeable when the book is being exported from CC to a third party reader) does not update, and will not update, unless I remove the files and then resend the files.
When you connect to calibre the metadata will be updated. Not the file itself.

Quote:
If this is a known limitation of Calibre and Calibre Companion, then it is something that can be fixed in a future version?
Not so much a limitation as it is a feature. I don't believe there is the option to rewrite the filename because the metadata changed.

In the Android version, if the book in calibre is newer, there is the option to Sync newer book files when connecting to calibre.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
In the Android version, if the book in calibre is newer, there is the option to Sync newer book files when connecting to calibre.
In iOS there is
Quote:
Wireless device connection/Sync new...

Check this box to enable connecting as a wireless device, additionally asking calibre to send book files to CC if the file in calibre is newer than the file in CC. The connection process will be slower when checking book updates.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
American_Desi
Connoisseur

The reason I want the file name to update is because CC has a setting whereby the file name can specified based on the metadata. I set it to name files as {series} {series index} {title} - {author} because this way, when the file is sent to a third-party program like ComicZeal, it sorts properly by series.

So far, the only way to get the file names to change on the iOS device is to remove the books from the device and then send them back to the device via Calibre. Reliable, but very inconvenient.

I guess this is really more of a Calibre Companion issue, so thanks for moving it there. But I don't see an option in the iOS version of CC to "sync newer book files." If this is the option that will get me what I want, then where can I find it?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:31 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The reason I want the file name to update is because CC has a setting whereby the file name can specified based on the metadata. I set it to name files as {series} {series index} {title} - {author} because this way, when the file is sent to a third-party program like ComicZeal, it sorts properly by series.

So far, the only way to get the file names to change on the iOS device is to remove the books from the device and then send them back to the device via Calibre. Reliable, but very inconvenient.

I guess this is really more of a Calibre Companion issue, so thanks for moving it there. But I don't see an option in the iOS version of CC to "sync newer book files." If this is the option that will get me what I want, then where can I find it?
I can say with certainty that neither version of CC will be changed to update file names when metadata changes. There are several reasons why. Three are:
  • Doing so would break many, if not most, reader app's bookmark and annotation synchronization.
  • Calibre uses the file name as the identifier of the book. Changing that file name confuses metadata exchange. CC Android has some workarounds for this problem that require the user to disconnect and reconnect after a file name changes, a necessary but very inconvenient process.
  • Changing file names is very slow.
AnemicOak pointed you at the sync newer book option in iOS. On Android setting that option gives you a second connection type in the connection menu. I don't know what it does on iOS. For iOS I can't say whether setting that option will affect changing the filename, but I suspect not because of the calibre metadata sync issues mentioned above. On Android it might, depending on the setting of other options in filenames.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
American_Desi
Connoisseur

Without changing Filenames, is there an alternate way to easily sort books within a series into the same series when exporting them to a reader on the iPad?

I use Comic Zeal which tries to do this automatically. It works beautifully when all the comic books have the same name, but I have series with different comics in them all ordered according to a custom order.

Sure, I could just sort them manually in Comic Zeal. I could also just delete them from Comic Zeal since they are already on Calibre Companion. I guess I'm just wanting to explore this option first.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Without changing Filenames, is there an alternate way to easily sort books within a series into the same series when exporting them to a reader on the iPad?
I don't know what you are asking for here. Guessing:
  • CC never changes metadata embeded in a book.
  • You have no control over the file name when "exporting" from CC. In fact, the Android version doesn't even have the concept of "exporting". The iOS version does because that is the only way to pass a book to a reader app.
Quote:
I use Comic Zeal which tries to do this automatically. It works beautifully when all the comic books have the same name, but I have series with different comics in them all ordered according to a custom order.
It depends on where Comic Zeal gets the information. If it gets it from internal book metadata then you can use calibre's plugboard feature to set the metadata inside the book however you want. If Comic Zeal gets the information from the filename then the filename must be however you want it, either using calibre or CC templates. Both require resending the book if the data changes.
Quote:
Sure, I could just sort them manually in Comic Zeal. I could also just delete them from Comic Zeal since they are already on Calibre Companion. I guess I'm just wanting to explore this option first.
The intent of CC is that it be used as the library manager. A reader app is used for exactly that, to read, not to be a library manager. If you want a reader app to be a library manager then perhaps CC isn't the right tool.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The intent of CC is that it be used as the library manager. A reader app is used for exactly that, to read, not to be a library manager. If you want a reader app to be a library manager then perhaps CC isn't the right tool.
Agreed!