Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-18-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Rooting the Poke5

I bought a Poke5 half a year ago but kept on using my Poke3 because of two (for me) intolerable things that I had fixed on the Poke3 but hadn't on the Poke5. I prefer to root without Magisk if I can, with Magisk if I must.

So, the first step is to update to the latest Poke5 update.
If you use Wifi on your device you could do the normal update.
But since you need the update anyway, download the update to your desktop.
Also, since the listing for this update just disappeared you can't do it directly on the device.
Code:
Model:  Poke5P
Finger: Onyx/Poke5P/Poke5P:11/2023-11-17_05-41_3.5_801526b7d/6777:user/dev-keys
Link:   http://firmware-us-volc.boox.com/9ba08e866b3617763dadb55a2ccda422/update.upx
Size:   1600986982
MD5:    9ba08e866b3617763dadb55a2ccda422
When it's on your desktop:
Code:
adb push update.upx sdcard
am start -a onyx.settings.action.firmware
Say yes to update.
If all you wanted to do was update to 3.5 without rooting, just stop now.

Now you need to get stuff from the update.upx for your own nefarious purposes.
We will be using DeBooxUpx.py.
This has just been updated, so you need to grab DeBooxUpx.py and BooxKeys.csv and put them together somewhere.
You need to have Python installed. It might handle .py files automatically or you might have to say "python DeBooxUpx.py".
Code:
DeBooxUpx.py Poke5P update.upx update.zip
Notice that that says "Poke5P" with a "P" at the end.
This should make update.zip which is the same size, 1600986982

Now you use your normal unzipper (7zip or friends) to get payload.bin:
Code:
7zip x update.zip payload.bin
You should have a file 1,600,983,123.

Now you want to get a few files out of that.
You need https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qps...lK6v2gJSi/view
You can unzip this and there is only one file you need "payload_dumper.py".
The other file is obsolete and you use the attached file "update_metadata_pb2.py".
The two files must be put in the same directory.
Code:
payload_dumper.py payload.bin
When it's done you should have boot.img and vbmeta.img and some other files.

Now get Magisk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk, "Latest release" and install it.
Code:
 adb push boot.img sdcard
Run Magisk, select install, select /sdcard/boot.img and let it fly.
Code:
 adb pull sdcard/Download/magisk_patched-12345678.img
(It will be named something random.)

Now we're ready to burn!
Code:
adb reboot fastboot
fastboot devices
fastboot getvar current-slot
This is your slot, remember it, do all the commands with _a or _b using your own letter.
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched-12345678.img
fastboot reboot
That's all there is to it!
Ok, this is intentionally complete so anybody can follow it if things change.
Some civic-minded person can post completed things which will work only if your device is the same.
Attached Files
File Type: py update_metadata_pb2.py (7.9 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Renate; 11-26-2023 at 05:46 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:51 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
So far, in a Windows 11 install, I've found the following:
  1. The DeBoox thing is called DeBooxUpd, not DeBooxUpx (a typo, obviously, but it kinda sets the mood )
  2. I had to install Python (expected in Windows as Python is not installed by default), but when i ran DeBooxUpd I had to install a dependency for DeBooxUpd (Cryptodome) first.
  3. Once I ran the payload_dumper.py, it failed first because "no module named 'google'" (another dependency install)
  4. After fixing the dependency issue, the current blocker is an Assertion Error in payload_dumper.py:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\logse\Downloads\payload_dumper.py", line 64, in <module>
    assert magic == b'CrAU'
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AssertionError
This doesn't look like a dependency issue.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:23 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
The DeBoox thing is called DeBooxUpd, not DeBooxUpx (a typo, obviously, but it kinda sets the mood )
Edit: Well, I screwed that all up. Hopefully I got things finally straightened out.

I'm not the biggest fan of Python. It's like cooking over at someone else's house. "Next we need some olive oil..." "Oh, I don't have any."

With Python, the average program just dumps the stack if anything unexpected happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
assert magic == b'CrAU'
Erm, that step should be:
Code:
payload_dumper.py payload.bin
Note also that DeBooxUpx.py has changed. Load the new version and the required companion file BooxKeys.csv

Last edited by Renate; 11-26-2023 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:00 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Now I've had success.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:11 AM   #5
hubertphava
Connoisseur
hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, Onyx-Boox Poke5
After the display crack of my BookeenMuse-hd (RIP), i've returned to Onyx with a Poke5. This post to thanks Renate for her detailed instructions for my (successfuly) rooting fo my Poke.
Now, it's time to debloat it :-)

HP
hubertphava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:14 PM   #6
leader_montanus
leader_montanus began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air
These instructions worked with my Palma and firmware 3.5.1 (08a88fc4595cd359a9e337bb3893b856) that came out a few days ago. Thanks a lot for taking the time to post it here!
leader_montanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:47 AM   #7
Renate
Wizard

I don't know how I missed this, but there is a Firehose loader for QCS2290 (Poke5, Leaf2).
https://github.com/bkerler/edl/issues/358

With a full, raw backup you've got a "get out of jail free" card.
In worst case you might have to open the case to short test points first.
OTOH, the Poke5 does work with "EDL cables", so that would be rare.
Code:
C:\>edl /r poke5.img
Found EDL 9008, configuring... nope, configuring... nope, configuring... ok
Requesting info on LUN 0... ok
Requesting read poke5.img... ok, reading 100% ok

C:\>dir poke5.img
04/24/2024  07:29    31,331,450,880 poke5.img

Last edited by Renate; 04-24-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:38 PM   #8
Renate
Wizard

I'm working on some stuff for a custom recovery on the Poke5.
There's been some major changes since the Poke3:
/dev/graphics/fb0 is now /dev/dri/card0 (but /dev/ebc still exists).
The old update-binary is out and the "update engine" is in.

One of the things that had always been a pain was resetting in recovery (without the recovery process).
I whipped up a little reboot executable and it's neat that it works through ADB too.
It explicitly tells you what's up with the BCB.
Code:
C:\adb reboot recovery  # going from system to recovery with stock reboot

C:\>adb reboot          # going from recovery to system with custom reboot
Was: boot-recovery
Now: <empty>
Rebooting
Old 04-25-2024, 09:04 PM   #9
dcarvil
Enthusiast
dcarvil began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I don't know how I missed this, but there is a Firehose loader for QCS2290 (Poke5, Leaf2).
https://github.com/bkerler/edl/issues/358

With a full, raw backup you've got a "get out of jail free" card.
In worst case you might have to open the case to short test points first.
OTOH, the Poke5 does work with "EDL cables", so that would be rare.
Code:
C:\>edl /r poke5.img
Found EDL 9008, configuring... nope, configuring... nope, configuring... ok
Requesting info on LUN 0... ok
Requesting read poke5.img... ok, reading 100% ok

C:\>dir poke5.img
04/24/2024  07:29    31,331,450,880 poke5.img
I don't have a Windows PC, so is there a Linux/Python equivalent to "edl /r poke5.img" to dump an image for a NoteAir3?

Thanks.
dcarvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:25 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarvil View Post
I don't have a Windows PC, so is there a Linux/Python equivalent...
Yes, there's the bkerler Python EDL client.
The command syntax is different.