Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
Unhappy 650 DOA!

I preordered the new Sony Reader Touch edition as soon as they were available at SonyStyle. I got it today, and it's effectively DOA: the bottom half of the touch screen is unresponsive, so I can't even confirm that I want to choose English for the device.

Has anyone else run into the same problem, or have any suggestions? When I called Sony they said I would have to pay to ship the unit back to a repair center and wait at least two weeks. I think that's completely unacceptable. I paid $250 for a new ebook reader, not a refurb or repair on a defective unit!
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have a local SonyStyle shop? If so, take it back there. If not, call back and ask for a supervisor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is one in the next city over, but I don't have a car.

I don't know if they would accept an exchange for an online order in-store. Maybe I could get a friend to take a field trip with me. . . .
Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoddess View Post
There is one in the next city over, but I don't have a car.

I don't know if they would accept an exchange for an online order in-store. Maybe I could get a friend to take a field trip with me. . . .
Just send it back to the online shop. Request a full refund. Tell them that it is defective, so they refund your shipping costs too.
As simple as that.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

I will try to work it out with them first. I know I can return it, or get my credit card company involved if I have to. I was just hoping for some troubleshooting advice here.

My long experience with handhelds tells me there may be a very simple fix. There is no screen protector involved in this case, for example, but they have been known to cause touch screens to become unresponsive if installed too close to the edges of a screen, etc.
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I had a similar problem with my first 650--it would not charge, and would not respond, sometimes it would not even boot.

As I bought it in a Sony store, I got an immediate exchange.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

Thank you, that is extremely helpful information.

I suspected problems when I ordered immediately and Sony couldn't give me an estimated arrival date. Took three weeks to get something that was supposedly immediately available. I love Sony, but I know their Readers aren't so popular that they should be having major supply issues due to demand.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
When I called Sony they said I would have to pay to ship the unit back to a repair center and wait at least two weeks. I think that's completely unacceptable. I paid $250 for a new ebook reader, not a refurb or repair on a defective unit!
Wow! I knew Sony was crappy with customer relations but that is ridiculous. If you get a DOA (or even slightly faulty) Kindle, Amazon apologizes and sends you another one ASAP and without shipping costs either way. Plus they ship the replacement to you first, then you return the faulty one so you are not without a reader. Perhaps the Japanese corporations can take a lesson from an American company and discover why Amazon is selling several times as many readers as they are!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Joshseadog
Enthusiast
Joshseadog doesn't litterJoshseadog doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-650
Well I had two Kindle 3 both of them froze and would not reset on me within a week. Was I that unlucky, the first one they replaced within two weeks. The second one they stated could not be replaced for at least a month due to back order waiting list. I had refund and purchased 650 and could not be happier. Had it a week now, so far so good.
Joshseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

I don't think this has anything to do with Sony being a Japanese company! The one time I had an issue on the PSN, my problem was very quickly and politely solved.

Amazon is selling more Kindles because they are competing solely on price, and that isn't the most important thing to me. In my opinion the Sony Reader is a much better piece of hardware, and epub support plus the ability to take handwritten notes are what I want.

Hopefully I will be able to get this resolved quickly.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think this has anything to do with Sony being a Japanese company!
Don't pay attention to jswinden, he is the same anal who attacked me for creating a topic that he didn't like.

Good luck with your online shop!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

Thanks. I know it will get resolved, I'm just really frustrated right now.

I've been writing about mobile tech for a decade now, on my own site plus Brighthand, TabletPCReview, Geek.com, etc., covering everything from Palm OS & Pocket PC all the way up to portable gaming, nook/Kindle, Android & WM phones and the iPad. I have never had a DOA device before this, and I've used 20 times the devices of average folks.

I guess it was time for my luck to run out!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Thanks. I know it will get resolved, I'm just really frustrated right now.

I've been writing about mobile tech for a decade now, on my own site plus Brighthand, TabletPCReview, Geek.com, etc., covering everything from Palm OS & Pocket PC all the way up to portable gaming, nook/Kindle, Android & WM phones and the iPad. I have never had a DOA device before this, and I've used 20 times the devices of average folks.

I guess it was time for my luck to run out!
Oh, it was bound to happen! Consider yourself lucky because it is only one time
When I buy 650, I think I might buy it in a local shop, just in case...for easy return, but price will be the major point.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Wow! I knew Sony was crappy with customer relations but that is ridiculous. If you get a DOA (or even slightly faulty) Kindle, Amazon apologizes and sends you another one ASAP and without shipping costs either way. Plus they ship the replacement to you first, then you return the faulty one so you are not without a reader. Perhaps the Japanese corporations can take a lesson from an American company and discover why Amazon is selling several times as many readers as they are!
My Mother's 600 was one of the 600's with the fading sun issue. She had it for a few months. So taking it back to the store was not an option. I called Sony and they sent another 600. The screen on the replacement was not as dark as hers. So I called Sony and they sent another 600 that did work in the sunlight and was as dark. And all of this Sony paid for the shipping. Sony used two day shipping as well.

The only issue I had was the CS person I originally got on the line tried to tell me that's how they are. I asked for a supervisor and the supervisor knew what I was talking about and I was on my way to getting things sorted.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Oh, it was bound to happen! Consider yourself lucky because it is only one time
When I buy 650, I think I might buy it in a local shop, just in case...for easy return, but price will be the major point.
I will most likely buy from the local Sony Style shop.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-25-2010 at 02:18 PM.