View Poll Results: Nook vs Kindle 3
Nook 121 52.84%
Kindle 3 94 41.05%
Other 14 6.11%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #46
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Braided Path by Chris Wooding

It's one of the best fantasy series of 2000s and it is only available from Waterstones and WHSmith. No Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk. Books like there are the reason I have a Nook. And our own Turkish ebook store only sells ePubs too.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #47
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Just got my nook today, finally, I must say is a beutiful piece of hardware, I don't really care about battery life, the openess of the device is what it matters.

Of course if you go for a Kindle 3 you probably wont regret either, is just a matter of what you prefer, be tied to Amazon or be tied but with a great range of choices with the nook.

BTW: did you see this comparison between K2 and K3? Interesting to see, anyway the screen of the nook is awesome And I found the keyboard of the kindle awful.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010...of-screen.html
I am glad that you are happy with your Nook.

You are not tied to Amazon if you buy a Kindle. There are many other stores that you can buy books from or download free books from. EPub books can be converted to Mobi using Calibre with a great deal of ease.

This whole "Tied to Amazon" thing is really, really old. I think it is great that people enjoy their Nooks. Can we please discuss the Kindle vs Nook without the silly "Tied to Amazon" line. It simply isn't true.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #48
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

You are not tied to Amazon if you buy a Kindle. There are many other stores that you can buy books from or download free books from. EPub books can be converted to Mobi using Calibre with a great deal of ease.

This whole "Tied to Amazon" thing is really, really old. I think it is great that people enjoy their Nooks. Can we please discuss the Kindle vs Nook without the silly "Tied to Amazon" line. It simply isn't true.

I think what people mean and want is, less hoops to jump through. I mean let's be honest you do have to go through extra steps and processes to buy from other areas.

To some they don't want to do that, and others it may be just to mind numbling and complicated. I can't imagine my father trying to use Calibre, He still can't sync up his mp3 Player let alone use calibre.

The Nook and other Epub devices just provide a much simplier solution.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #49
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:

Yes, its not true if you only buy books without DRM. If you buy books with DRM though, well... you could strip the DRM, but that may not be legal in your area....

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #50
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Yes, its not true if you only buy books without DRM. If you buy books with DRM though, well... you could strip the DRM, but that may not be legal in your area....

--
Bill
Or you can buy books from stores that sell a Kindle Format. They are out there. Amazon has something like 70% of the e-book market. If I were an e-book seller, I think I would be looking to sell e-books that can eaily be placed on the Kindle. I would expect that there will be more books put out in Mobi and EPub for exactly this reason.
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #51
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I would go Kindle hands down. My husband bought a Nook wi-fi with an expenive case, spare charger, cable and sd card because he did not want to wait for the new Kindle. We both hate it for different reasons. He just plain likes his paper books and no device will suit him. I don't like the longer size, heavier weight and the very annoying touch screen which I find hard to operate. It seems very unstable to me . I like the click buttons and keyboard of the Kindles.
I have a small Jetbook which is great except for night reading and dear husband naturally is trying to get me to forget the new Kindle 3 and use his Nook. No way!! I'll stick with my Jetbook until I get a Kindle.
We've put the whole Nook package up for sale on the fleamarket page
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96882
at a really good price and not one reply, so it seems folks are wanting Kindle3 or old Sony 505s'. The Nook seems overly heavy to me and the page turn buttons do not line up with my fingers and also squeak. The other annoying thing about Nook is that it must be charged frequently, even when not in use.
I find I can easily send any epubs to my daughters' Kindle, so file formats is not really of importance to me.
The Nook is lovely , but not for everyone.

Last edited by dixieknits; 09-02-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typos
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #52
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Love My Nook!

Two reasons I bought my Nook over other readers?

1) I can download library books for free
2) It has the option of an EXTRA EXTRA large font
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #53
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
I have already thought that but the eInk is important for me. And the battery life is far better in ereaders. I'm printing out the long academic papers right now to read. I dont want to read through the laptop. I think a dedicated device for reading would be good.
The battery life of the Nook is no better than a Asus netbook or an Ipad.
About 8-10 hrs of use for reading, or 4 hours with wifi on.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #54
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
Two reasons I bought my Nook over other readers?

1) I can download library books for free
2) It has the option of an EXTRA EXTRA large font
They all have an extra large format. I know that the DXG (so I am assuming the K3 and K2) has one font size that gets about two words per line on the screen.

Even better, the Kindle has TTS. If you need to be reading on the extra, extra, large font you probably would be happy to have an ereader that can read to you the books that are not available as an audio book. The computer voice is not the same quality as an actor, not even close, but it is better then not being able to listen to the books not availble in audio format for someone with vision problems.

And the recent Library of Congress ruling does allow people to buy the TTS lock out if the book is not available in an audio format for people with disabilities.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #55
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
The battery life of the Nook is no better than a Asus netbook or an Ipad.
About 8-10 hrs of use for reading, or 4 hours with wifi on.
Nope no it's not. I can get up to 8 days on mine.

As it has been recommended to you in the past by others, you have a bad battery PLEASE WILL YOU JUST REPLACE IT!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #56
boswd
Banned

I for one have no problems keeping my Nook as compared to the kindle 3 The Kindle 3 cleaned up the Kindle 2 but that's really about it.

The Pearl screen does have a better contrast but not head and shoulders above the Nook which already has a fantastic screen and def. not as head and shoulders above as I think many were hoping it would be.

What I love about my nook that the Kindle doen't have :

Love Love Love the color touchscreen navigation color book cover art etc. It combines technology of today with both e ink and touch screen ala smart phones etc.

This is Amazon's third crack at it and it still is very very outdated navagation process. Whenever I see my buddy at work use his Kindle all I can think of is this :

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco...uarterback.jpg

egads Amazon it's going to be 2011 and the Kindle still looks and feels like old tech.

the nooks finger swiping for page turning, it's just great,

the inStore Expereince, can't beat it, love getting my Godiva while reading or a Starbucks coffee for Free

Free Friday's

E-Pub/Public Library

Just a cleaner, better designed looking hardware, though I will admit the Kindle 3 is an improvement over the past Kindle's, but man PLEASE dump that ugly keyboard.

BN's ebook store looks more like what an e book store should look like. Inviting, you feel like you're buying books.

Amazon just feels like another tap for shopping no different of the look and feel of buying HDMI cables or MP3 players.

Similar to like iTunes it looks and feels like a place for music, Amazon again is very sterile and geniric.

Replacable Battery

Instore Support.

These are the reason I will choose the nook everytime of the Kindle

Last edited by boswd; 09-03-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #57
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Or you can buy books from stores that sell a Kindle Format. They are out there. Amazon has something like 70% of the e-book market. If I were an e-book seller, I think I would be looking to sell e-books that can eaily be placed on the Kindle. I would expect that there will be more books put out in Mobi and EPub for exactly this reason.
There are? So Amazon has licensed Kindle DRM to other ebookstores? Which ones?

--
Bill
Old 09-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #58
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You can buy non-DRM kindle books from a number of sites.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #59
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You can buy non-DRM kindle books from a number of sites.
True, since Kindle format without DRM is simply Mobi without DRM. My point was that if you want books that the publisher requires to have DRM, AFAIK, you may only get them from Amazon if you want to read them on a Kindle.

In contrast, the Nook allows both B&N as well as any ebook store that supports Adobe Digital Editions. So you can choose to go either for their relatively friendly DRM or go for price, your choice.

--
Bill
Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #60
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
I just bought a kindle 3 but I don't plan to keep it.
I tried out the nook at a store and the screen is not that much different.
Also I like that nook has page numbers and shows the clock.
It is a bit heavier than the kindle 3 though.
Kindle 3 has good pdf support and screen rotation ability.

I think I will wait on the new sony readers before I decide.
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote