Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want to buy a Bookeen eink reader?
I would pay no more than $200.00USD 20 21.05%
I would buy two at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would pay no more than $250.00USD 13 13.68%
I would buy two at no more than $250.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $250.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $300.00USD 16 16.84%
I would buy two at no more than $300.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $300.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would pay no more than $350.00USD 25 26.32%
I would buy two at no more than $350.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $350.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $400.00USD 10 10.53%
I would buy two at no more than $400.00USD each 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 03:02 AM   #91
Redfoot
Redfoot began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150
Who Would Buy a Bookeen Eink Reader?

Why have a on screen or included keyboard? If there is a USB port any standard keyboard can be pluged in as long as the software supports it.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #92
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz
Well, as I understand it the refresh rate on e-ink displays is pretty bad and you can't easily update a part of the screen -- hence it's not possible to have an on-screen keyboard.
Well, that's not quite so. You can refresh just part of the screen, it usually results in higher ghosting in the refreshed area is all.

As for the buttons ... the Sony Reader has ~15 buttons depending on how you count 'em.
Advert
Old 12-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #93
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Yeah, if you just want to paint black over white you don't need to do a negative (1s->0.5s), plus, for quick multitapping, it might be possible to start painting a new choice before the old one is dry (kinda like an interrupt). If not that, then just start painting it in a slightly diff spot (like above or below). Even if asynch drawing doesn't work, needing half a minute to type two words is still better than nothing.

It would've been really cool if the Sony had a tiny lcd like the hanlin. But alas..
Old 12-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #94
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Doesn't the iLiad have an on-screen keyboard?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #95
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it does, I meant to mention that before, but got distracted, I guess.
Advert
Old 12-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #96
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
I've been looking over this thread, and after a couple of weeks living with the Sony Reader I have these criteria (that I don't think I saw mentioned):

1) Specific external software must not be necessary for loading books onto the reader. It needs to be mountable via USB as a drive and files simply copied across. This doesn't mean that dedicated software is forbidden -- some people like those kinds of applications, but it should not be necessary.

2) Any library organization (categories, bookshelves, whatever) should be implemented using the filesystem -- I should be able to separate my groups of books by copying files into specific directories. Again, no specific software should be necessary on my host PC.

I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate for this reader right now -- the Sony is a big investment for me, and it'll be some time before I can justify a similar expense for another similar device. The Bookeen sounds like it has potential to be superior to the Sony, so it would be tempting, but not (for now) compelling.

I don't particularly care about DRM support. I own no DRMed books (other than what came on the Sony, scheduled for deletion soon), nor will I ever. If the support is there, that's fine, but I wouldn't pay an extra nickel to obtain it. A lot of the other extra cost items that have been mentioned would also be non-useful to me -- lighting, touchscreens, search, etc. Again, I wouldn't mind them existing if others want them, but if they ended up raising the price above my threshold, I'd count them as a negative.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #97
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
I don't own any eReader yet - and haven't read all other replies, either.

Still i'd like to list my most IMPORTANT items here:

1) Formats: PDF, HTML, TXT, JPG (minimum requirements)

2) Touchscreen for Input/GUI and taking notes (PLEAAAASE !!!)

3) I'd love to have more than 4 "colours" (but will go with'em...)

4) An SDK that makes "free" development possible (must)

(Will we be informed of any progress in the proceedings ?!?)
Old 07-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #98
NatCh
Gizmologist

Unfortunately, this particular initiative has been pretty much dead for several months -- we couldn't get the numbers of interested folks together at the time.

The good news is that it seems Bookeen is about set to release an updated model fairly soon that will have somewhat better features than the one this thread was discussing, and it should be more readily available.

However, I don't know that it will have the features you've mentioned, and I expect that some of those will be quite some time coming, color, for instance, is still quite a ways off, apparently.

I think I'll go ahead and close this thread, since the original point of it has passed, if somebody wants to continue the discussion, it might be best to start another thread with a more appropriate title.
Closed Thread