Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's ok now. The instruction was wrong; I see they change the command on their website. Now I can use my local SIM to download Daily and book shop.

Unexpectedly, Nookbrowser can browse website by my local SIM card too. Trook still needs wifi connection to work.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-17-2010 at 10:46 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #17
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
That's great. I removed the Wifi check in the last build for nookBrowser. It should work with either Wifi or sim card now. But in the US, you can access only barnesandnoble.com using 3G .
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Thanks. Can you do the same for Trook? I would like to get feeds on the road too.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
klay
klay began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
It's ok now. The instruction was wrong; I see they change the command on their website. Now I can use my local SIM to download Daily and book shop.

Unexpectedly, Nookbrowser can browse website by my local SIM card too. Trook still needs wifi connection to work.

What command was failing? We are still having users have issues even with the current wiki.
klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
bthoven
Evangelist

The first time I tried, I did not do it under adb shell and the carrier insertion instruction were wrong.

Last night I did it under adb shell and follow the revised instruction on the web, it was a smooth hack.

Most users, including myself, do not know about syntax of the command, e.g. whether we need to put blank after each comma; so I try to follow exactly what I see in your instruction and it works flawlessly.

Thanks for your effort; you've set free my Nook!

Just awaiting Trook owner to set my Nook free as well (for non-US).

Last edited by bthoven; 02-17-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #21
klay

Quote:
The first time I tried, I did not do it under adb shell and the carrier insertion instruction were wrong.

Last night I did it under adb shell and follow the revised instruction on the web, it was a smooth hack.

Most users, including myself, do not know about syntax of the command, e.g. whether we need to put blank after each comma; so I try to follow exactly what I see in your instruction and it works flawlessly.

Thanks for your effort; you've set free my Nook!

Just awaiting Trook owner to set my Nook free as well (for non-US).
Thanks for the feedback. It's hard to document process that you yourself just take for granted. glad the revised instructions worked.

If you update the web browser through trook, you will see that they have allowed 3G/GPRS access through the browser.

One step closer to total internationalisation!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #22
bthoven
Evangelist

Yes, Nookbrowser is working with GPRS now (outside US).

Thanks again for your work!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #23
bthoven
Evangelist

Next step is finding where B&N put their font files (e.g. amasis, classic light, helvetica neue). I need to replace one of the font with Thai font set.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
klay

Quote:
Next step is finding where B&N put their font files (e.g. amasis, classic light, helvetica neue). I need to replace one of the font with Thai font set.
I've not hade experience with it myself.
But if you go onto the #nookdevs room on freenode I know some other people have been playing around with this.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Costs when using other SIM on nook

Just to make sure:
Thanks to the great explanation, it's relatively easy to switch to another SIM card, thus using Trook and other functions outside of US.
But what about the costs?
Let's say, I have a data flatrate on my SIM. Does this apply? Or am I risking, to permanently dial in to the US via an international US number? Will our costs explode or will it be entirely covered by the data flatrate?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #26
bthoven
Evangelist

You will be charged by the flat rate pertaining to your local sim card.

For me, monthly fee is equivalent to USD3.- at max 500MB which I'll never use beyond this amount.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
You will be charged by the flat rate pertaining to your local sim card.

For me, monthly fee is equivalent to USD3.- at max 500MB which I'll never use beyond this amount.
Sounds great, thanks. I've got no data limit on my SIM. But I guess it will be way below 50MB, maybe downloading 20 books per month and a bit of surfing the shop from B&N.
But it wouldn't have been fun, if it would be dialing in through a US number...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #28
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
The ones used when displaying epubs/pdfs are inside the B&N-signed apk file. The pdb reader doesn't seem to contain its own fonts, you can try generating pdb file to see if it will display properly.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote