Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #181
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
I really love the red. I wanted a Blue, but red works since there was no blue . I ordered the Sony cover. Not sure why that comes out after the readers. Kind of weird. Oh well. It will get here next week sometime .
Which cover did you order - the "premium" or the "cover with light"? If you got the premium, what color did you order? I'm thinking about the premium cover in brown.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #182
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
Which cover did you order - the "premium" or the "cover with light"? If you got the premium, what color did you order? I'm thinking about the premium cover in brown.
I got the premium cover in Red.... had to show some loyalty to the color .

By the way, are you in Cincinnati? Just guessing from the name.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #183
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I got the premium cover in Red.... had to show some loyalty to the color .

By the way, are you in Cincinnati? Just guessing from the name.
No, actually I'm in North Carolina - in NC. Last name starts with C, you know!

I understand the loyalty to red. Almost everything I own is red. I was trying to branch out to another color. Hence, considering the brown premium cover and the sky blue Oberon Design cover.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #184
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Question

Quote:
I got the premium cover in Red.... had to show some loyalty to the color ...
What is the quality of those covers like?? Nice? So, so?
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
In that case I think first time buyers of any e-readers would find your review helpful. I would like to hear your opinions regarding eye-strain, glare and how easy it is for someone new to e-readers, to load up a book and just start reading.
There is more glare on the 505 & 300 then the 600. The touch layer defuses the light.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #186
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
I ordered the red reader with a brown cover. It should arrive Monday. I will post pictures when it does.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #187
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No, actually I'm in North Carolina - in NC. Last name starts with C, you know!

I understand the loyalty to red. Almost everything I own is red. I was trying to branch out to another color. Hence, considering the brown premium cover and the sky blue Oberon Design cover.
Will the Oberon covers fit? Aren't they made for other readers?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #188
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
What is the quality of those covers like?? Nice? So, so?
Haven't gotten it yet. They say it's supposed to be shipped on monday.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #189
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
Will the Oberon covers fit? Aren't they made for other readers?
The Oberon covers are made for the 505 and the 700. At first they used one case to fit both models. They still use the same case, but they finally started tightening the straps if you specified you'd be using it for the 505. The 600 is the same height and width as the 505 and the same thickness as the 700. I figure the case with the 700 straps should fit.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #190
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Argh, covers were delayed till 9/15!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #191
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is more glare on the 505 & 300 then the 600. The touch layer defuses the light.
You are the only person who claims this effect so far.
Accordingly to other reviewers and videos I have seen, you can clearly see your face in 600. Just like in some idiotic laptop screen that made of something that makes them very similar to a real mirror. I have not seen 600 yet but when I see a laptop with a screen where I can see my ugly mug I run away.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #192
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Review for Academics/Text workers

Quote:
I will post more pics when it gets up and running and also give my little review (whatever that is worth since I can't compare to anything else). It will probably be a review on how well the reader works for academics . If it works well for academics, it must work well for casual readers as well, right?

Hi Formerroadie,

as a fellow academic who has posed several requests for thorough reviews of the notetaking feature and the readability of academic pdfs (journal articles, 2column layout etc) I really look forward to your review...please share your experience

thanks
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #193
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
You are the only person who claims this effect so far.
Accordingly to other reviewers and videos I have seen, you can clearly see your face in 600. Just like in some idiotic laptop screen that made of something that makes them very similar to a real mirror. I have not seen 600 yet but when I see a laptop with a screen where I can see my ugly mug I run away.
That may be, but I can only report what I have seen and I see more glare in a naked Vizplex screen then the 600 screen with the touch layer. If I get a chance to go back to the SonyStyle shop, I'll try to get some photos.

The 600 is more reflective on the surface, but the light that comes back up through the touch layer is diffused more so it's not as much of a glare as it is on the 300/505.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #194
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That may be, but I can only report what I have seen and I see more glare in a naked Vizplex screen then the 600 screen with the touch layer. If I get a chance to go back to the SonyStyle shop, I'll try to get some photos.

The 600 is more reflective on the surface, but the light that comes back up through the touch layer is diffused more so it's not as much of a glare as it is on the 300/505.
I see. Two different things. Glare and mirroring.
Thanks for clarification.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #195
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Ok, I'm having an issue. So far, I've only worked with PDF's. I love reading on this thing, but the highlighted texts won't export completely. I highlight a paragraph and maybe a sentence exports to PDF. Anyone have any solutions?

EDIT: I am chatting with someone from Sony about it.

EDIT2: The people at Sony don't seem to know about this function. What the heck?!

EDIT3: Final edit. I have to call the ebook people, which is entirely different from the people at Sony proper. Anyway, will call tomorrow since they are closed.

To be continued.....

Last edited by formerroadie; 08-29-2009 at 07:28 PM.