Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
ALvBH
ALvBH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
About browser restriction

Hi, I'm new to this. I bought me a dx late version after the check I thought would tell me whether I could use the browser for safari books online now. I found earlier that it was posible through m.safaribooksonline.com, but at that time the coverage of 3G did not yet include my place (outside USA). The latest version was launched with enough coverage. I jumped for it. I missed.
The due to local restrictions... I should have seen.
Does anyone know what restrictions are meant and what the base is for this rude intrusion. It must be something in the configuration, because the browser works fine (for wiki) and I have my safari account, and a local e-newspaper subscription. I pay my taxes have wire free connections capabilities, live in a free country, why, who and what for is placing restrictions (local?? In the Netherlands??! Come-on... No one buys that lame excuse.
Anyone that knows how to change that policy lawfully, or how to lift it the hard way? It would be nice to get it fully operational. Thanks for listening, and I hope to get an answer.
ALvBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
The restrictions are placed by Amazon. The devices come with a US AT&T SIM card, which means that Amazon probably has to pay international roaming charges to AT&T whenever you use the browser in another country (of course, no one knows the exact terms of their agreement).

To prevent abuse, Amazon has restricted the browser to only their site and Wikipedia for non-US buyers. They seem to be removing that restrictions for some countries (maybe they managed to get deals with the local carriers), but for most of them the restrictions are still in place.

And they do warn of the restrictions in the country specific information pages, so I don't think there is any legal way of removing them.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
browser restrictions, kindle dx