Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
open book very slow

Hi

I have a H2o. I have 200 books there and some of side loaded. I have updated to the latest firmware.

I found when I open the book, it is very slow. usually it would take 10 seconds to open the book. but page turn is pretty fast. Forget what it should be,but could anyone tell me whether open a book in 10 seconds in H2o is normal or not? Just restarted it and it is same. Didn't do factory reset yet.

Thanks in advance
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I'd say 10 seconds to open isn't too bad. I get something like that. Depends on the size and format of the book.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2016, 02:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you know why it takes so long? Books open instantly on a Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:29 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What sort of book? Format, number of pages, are the chapters separate files or one giant one?

I just opened two books on my H2O from the home screen. The one I'm currently reading opened in about two seconds; one I've never opened before took three or four.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
What sort of book? Format, number of pages, are the chapters separate files or one giant one?

I just opened two books on my H2O from the home screen. The one I'm currently reading opened in about two seconds; one I've never opened before took three or four.
That is what it used to be. I guess just a bad side loaded book
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
Hi

I have a H2o. I have 200 books there and some of side loaded. I have updated to the latest firmware.

I found when I open the book, it is very slow. usually it would take 10 seconds to open the book. but page turn is pretty fast. Forget what it should be,but could anyone tell me whether open a book in 10 seconds in H2o is normal or not? Just restarted it and it is same. Didn't do factory reset yet.

Thanks in advance
I'd suggest trying to open several books. I've found some that take much longer to load. Such things as a single massive file for the entire book rather than separate chapter files have caused slow opening. If all your books are slow to open, you may have a problem. If only one or two books, they have a problem.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'd suggest trying to open several books. I've found some that take much longer to load. Such things as a single massive file for the entire book rather than separate chapter files have caused slow opening. If all your books are slow to open, you may have a problem. If only one or two books, they have a problem.
This is my guess as well, I've seen this on public domain books but also on purchased books, where the 500 page book is all within one .html file. Those always take a long time to load, a few wouldn't load at all until I broke them up into more reasonable size pages.

Oversized (usually needlessly) or a large amount of images within the book might cause it as well.

See if it happens on all books or just a few problem books. You can edit them either in Calibre or Sigil (I prefer Sigil but probably only because I'm more familiar with it) to break up those huge files and reduce the size of the images if that is indeed the problem.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If davidfor see's this I wonder if it might be database related? Doesn't nickle add some data to the database on opening a book (the activity table I think)?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If davidfor see's this I wonder if it might be database related? Doesn't nickle add some data to the database on opening a book (the activity table I think)?
Yes, each time you open a book, there are several database updates. They mark the book as opened, add an entry to the event table to indicate the book has been opened, or update the counter if the book is being reopened. The number of rows in the event table grows more books are added and read. The rows don't get removed if the books is removed as this is used for some of the stats (such as books finished, hours read). But, I don't have any feel that this is causing a significant problem. To test that, you would need to remove all the current event rows and see if there was a difference. I haven't had a desire to do that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do any of these tables get emptied on a succesful sync with the Kobo cloud?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Not that I've noticed. In fact, some of the stats are downloaded after a factory reset.

It's been in the back of my mind to write a cleanup routine to remove older or less useful stats. I'll have to dig out my list of the events and see what can be done. Does anyone care to know how many times they used the dictionary in a book?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does anyone care to know how many times they used the dictionary in a book?
Absolutely not.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have no need to see how many times I've used the dictionary.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #14
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does anyone care to know how many times they used the dictionary in a book?
I would love to see the specific words that I looked up in a book - the count is much less useful.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What other stats are there that we may or may not care about?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote