Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Publishers object to DOJ proposal; it would punish them rather than Apple

It's not that we're surprised after hearing of the DOJ's proposed order to prevent Apple from entering new e-book distribution contracts for five years, that publishers are anything but unhappy about the plans. In a court filing (provided by Cnet) yesterday afternoon, HarperCollins, Hachette, Simon & Schuster, Holtzbrinck, and Penguin Random House argue that the proposal would effectively eliminate the use of the "agency model" for distributing and selling e-books.

Quote:
[T]he provisions do not impose any limitation on Apple's pricing behavior at all; rather, under the guise of punishing Apple, they effectively punish the settling defendants by prohibiting agreements with Apple using an agency model.
This would, according to the publishers, go directly against what has been agreed on before in separate settlements with the U.S. ahead of the trial.

Quote:
[T]he Proposed Order directly conflicts with the consent decrees that the Settling Defendants negotiated with Plaintiffs and that were entered as Final Judgments by this Court, which specifically provide that "a Settling Defendant may enter into Agency Agreements with E-book Retailers" with certain enumerated limitations. As a result, the relief sought by Plaintiffs effectively modifies the Settling Defendant's existing Final Judgments and unreasonably and unnecessarily restrains the Settling Defendants' independent business decisions beyond the scope and time provided for their respective consent decrees.
On the other hand, while it's true that the proposed order would restrict publishers from entering into agency agreements with Apple, it would not prevent them from entering into agreements with any other party, as agreed on in the previous settlements.

[via Digital Reader]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-08-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Too bad for the publishers, but this is Apple's punishment.

They can make a deal with Amazon
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I don't feel a thing for any publisher complicit in the whole affair. perhaps they were overeager to settle hoping to skate away. Plus didn't Jobs poo-poo books anyway?

So other than the deal w/Apple pushing up prices up at the north end of I5 I doubt sales from iTunes store will really be "lost". It's really just the hard fact publishers can't leverage higher margin deals using Apple as a "threat". They just have to be creative or sell out Apple??

Still always interesting to see "wheels within wheels".
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I hope that the judge gives this the consideration it deserves and changes the DoJ recommendation of 5 years to 20 years.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I thought the lack of competition inherent in the agency contract was key to the guilty finding. I didn't realize agency agreements were okay except in current form, which includes a MFN provision.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I hope that the judge gives this the consideration it deserves and changes the DoJ recommendation of 5 years to 20 years.
I think it should be for a "brief period," the same length as the "brief period" the publishers are allowed to hold copyrights in the US.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I think it should be for a "brief period," the same length as the "brief period" the publishers are allowed to hold copyrights in the US.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
LOVE that suggestion!
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I thought the publishers were (indicted/un-indicted) co-conspirators.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

They can make a deal with Amazon
I'm glad the judge found a way to shaft them despite making a plea bargain. I'm getting really tired of cases getting settled out of court. Too many innocent people get forced into guilty pleas, and the guilty don't get meaningfully punished.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I thought the lack of competition inherent in the agency contract was key to the guilty finding. I didn't realize agency agreements were okay except in current form, which includes a MFN provision.
Actually there is absolutely nothing illegal about agency agreements or MFN agreements. They have been used for years. It would only be illegal if the publishers agreed among themselves to set a price, something that was never alleged or proven in the trial.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I'm glad the judge found a way to shaft them despite making a plea bargain. I'm getting really tired of cases getting settled out of court. Too many innocent people get forced into guilty pleas, and the guilty don't get meaningfully punished.
You guys do realize that the people who really get the shaft is the ebook consumer. The proposal basically allows the government to regulate the online media industry. If it goes through, we will see a lot less innovation and choice in these areas.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Only in the unlikely event the judge gives the prosecution everything it wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
If you don't like the publishers, then read the kinds of books which don't require heavy editing and advance-funded research. There are loads of such books available from the indie community. However, I don't see a benefit in unnecessarily damaging the business model of large publishers.

Every medium to large publisher book is available from public libraries, at least on interlibrary loans. What's most important to me isn't whether I can afford to have my own personal copy, but whether the books being published are as good as possible.

Right now, I am reading a book published by the Rutgers University Press and sold, in Kindle edition, for $35.40:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cure-Child...dhood+miracles

If that far-higher-than-big-publisher price is what's going to help Rutgers University Press produce more books of quality, that's fine with me. Or you can find this title, lightly used, via bookfinder.com, for $4.81. Or you can get it, in return for paying taxes, at a public library.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
"If you don't like the publishers, then read the kinds of books which don't require heavy editing and advance-funded research. There are loads of such books available from the indie community. However, I don't see a benefit in unnecessarily damaging the business model of large publishers."

I don't see the point of your rant. Nothing in the settlement says the publisher can't set whatever price they need for each book they sell to booksellers in order to make a profit on that book. That scarcely does damage to their business, after all they've been selling hardbacks that way for decades. They simply, after they get their money, no longer have any say in what price the bookseller turns around and sells that book for. But what do they care, they already have all the money they wanted for that book. If it's not enough then they should raise the price they charge the bookstore for that book. Nothing prevents them from setting a high wholesale price. I happen to really approve of retail competion.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Only in the unlikely event the judge gives the prosecution everything it wants.

If you don't like the publishers, then read the kinds of books which don't require heavy editing and advance-funded research. There are loads of such books available from the indie community. However, I don't see a benefit in unnecessarily damaging the business model of large publishers.

Every medium to large publisher book is available from public libraries, at least on interlibrary loans. What's most important to me isn't whether I can afford to have my own personal copy, but whether the books being published are as good as possible.

Right now, I am reading a book published by the Rutgers University Press and sold, in Kindle edition, for $35.40:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cure-Child...dhood+miracles

If that far-higher-than-big-publisher price is what's going to help Rutgers University Press produce more books of quality, that's fine with me. Or you can find this title, lightly used, via bookfinder.com, for $4.81. Or you can get it, in return for paying taxes, at a public library.
I read a lot of research heavy non-fiction and I know such books must cost more. And such books never were 9.99 at Amazon, but always more expensive.

Now as for bestsellers, the publishers get more money using the wholesale model. They allow discounting of hard covers and paperbacks (why didn't they try the agency model for those?), so why should ebooks be excluded from healthy competition among retailers. Sorry, we are not buying that "Amazon is destroying the market" mantra because they have a few loss leaders at 9.99.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote