Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
FiendFyre
FiendFyre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Problems with Original Kobo EReader

So I have the original ereader and I cannot get into the advanced settings to do a factory reset. Also, instead a back button, I have a sync button. It was given to me used, so I really don't have much information on it, so any help would be good.

There are two pictures attached. One is of the ereader, and one of the weird label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo1.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	98121   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo2.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	98122  
FiendFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiendFyre View Post
So I have the original ereader and I cannot get into the advanced settings to do a factory reset. Also, instead a back button, I have a sync button. It was given to me used, so I really don't have much information on it, so any help would be good.

There are two pictures attached. One is of the ereader, and one of the weird label.
The Sync button suggests that you have the Kobo Wi-Fi which is the successor to the Kobo Original. Here are the instructions for a factory reset.

ETA: It appears that I was not correct in my assumption of what the Sync button represents. Here is an article which describes a review model of the Kobo Original with a Sync button.

Last edited by Joe563; 12-23-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: More information.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
FiendFyre

Ok, thanks! For some reason if I go to the advanced option in settings it just shows the previously selected settings menu. Ex: If I clicked on "Overview" and then I click on "Advanced" it will still show the menu for the "Overview" section.

Is there anyway I can flash a firmware for the original manually?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiendFyre View Post
Ok, thanks! For some reason if I go to the advanced option in settings it just shows the previously selected settings menu. Ex: If I clicked on "Overview" and then I click on "Advanced" it will still show the menu for the "Overview" section.

Is there anyway I can flash a firmware for the original manually?
As far as I know, a factory reset on the Kobo Original can only be done through the menu system. After you select "ADVANCED" are you pressing the center of the navigation pad to show the advanced setting? If this does not work you should contact Kobo customer care since it would appear that you have a pre-release version of the Kobo Original.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Original Kobo firmware load

There is a rather old thread discussing putting the original Kobo into it's firmware load mode. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89159 for the original thread.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
FiendFyre

Yeah I managed to get it into upgrade mode, but how do I upgrade it manually using an sd card? I might be able to flash a kobo 1 (the original model) firmware upgrade, but I'm not really sure how.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
FiendFyre

So I am trying to update it from an sd card, but the official page from Borders is now gone.

This is the page that I am trying to find: http://bordersau.zendesk.com/entries...am-using-linux

That should give information on how to use an sd card to upgrade, but it's gone.
If anyone can get me the information on that page that would be awesome! thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From http://web.archive.org/web/201008230...am-using-linux

Quote:
How do I update my Kobo firmware if I am using Linux?
Alastair - Borders Customer Service Aug 10
Linux users rejoice! We have provided you with a method of upgrading your Kobo e-Reader to the latest firmware, version 1.4. You will require an SD card for this process to be completed.

Please visit the following weblink to download your file.

http://www.borders.com.au/uploads/bo...u-full-1_4.tgz
1) Format an SD card on Linux with the EXT3 file format.

2) Mount your newly formatted SD card and find that SD card in the directory.

3) Untar the image you have downloaded (tgz file) to the SD card

4) Unmount the SD card.

To Reflash Your Kobo.

1) Power off your Kobo e-Reader.

2) Connect your Kobo e-Reader to your computer so that it is being charged.

3) Insert the newly-formatted SD card in to the slot on the top of the Kobo e-Reader.

4) Power on your Kobo e-Reader.

5) Whilst pressing down the middle button of the D-Pad, press the reset button on the rear of the device with a paperclip (do not release your finger from the middle of the D-Pad button).

6) Keep the D-Pad depressed until five blocks appear in the lower-left corner of the Kobo e-Reader screen.

7) After five blocks have appeared in the lower-left corner of the screen you can release your finger from the D-Pad.

8) The Kobo e-Reader will display "FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS" during re-flashing and will reboot twice during process, which takes around five minutes.

9) The Kobo e-Reader will display "Installation Complete" when finished

Some users may need to reset their device again after this process.

If you strike any trouble after undertaking this process, please contact us on 1800-064-011 if you are unable to resolve the problem, by repeating the process.

Happy e-Reading!!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
FiendFyre

@PeterT You are awesome! I couldn't find that page anywhere, thank you!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Hope it helps :-)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote