Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Paperwhite's screen?
Yes 191 76.71%
No 58 23.29%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey. View Post
I believe (hope) my screen is defective.

Contrast adjusted, full brightness:

http://imgur.com/gzTN0

Does anyone else have this? The uneven coloring is so distracting it's driving me crazy. Note that the contrast exaggerates the bottom lighting. While reading it almost seems like smudges on the internal side of the screen.

I called Amazon about a replacement... They said it won't arrive until the 18th.
Looks similar to some of the pics of problem screens I've seen posted.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not sure yet us a bad option because once someone votes it, they cannot change once they decide. Dump the option to make the poll more effective.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not sure yet us a bad option because once someone votes it, they cannot change once they decide. Dump the option to make the poll more effective.
Agreed. I was thinking the same thing. I initially voted I'm not sure yet, but after using it for some hours tonight I could change my vote to I'm happy with it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #19
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I haven't noticed any huge problems with mine, but there is a pinprick-size spot of high brightness, literally just a single pixel in size, in the lower right corner. I only noticed because it was right near the "page X of Y" listing when downloading my book library. It's not enough to make me exchange the Kindle, though.

There is a little unevenness at the bottom, but it was expected given reviews I've looked at -- it's to be expected given the way the lighting works.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #20
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Agreed. I was thinking the same thing. I initially voted I'm not sure yet, but after using it for some hours tonight I could change my vote to I'm happy with it.
Alright then. I can't seem to edit the poll section of my post, but if a mod wants to remove that option I'm fine with it.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There are no options in the polling system to allow a vote to be changed after it has been made.

Perhaps the OP is confusing this with the "multiple choice" option, which gives the poll check boxes rather than radio buttons. But even with this option, it is only possible to vote for several options at once. It is never possible to go back and change the options voted for.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #22
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
Very happy with it now, but initially I was disappointed by it. I could see the cross hatching of the light at the bottom. It's really only apparent when there is no black on the screen. A screen full of text looks near perfect. I'm still trying to figure out what light settings I like, which of course changes depending on how the area I'm in is lit. But it's a huge leap from Kindle 2 and I couldn't be happier with the Paperwhite.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There are no options in the polling system to allow a vote to be changed after it has been made.

Perhaps the OP is confusing this with the "multiple choice" option, which gives the poll check boxes rather than radio buttons. But even with this option, it is only possible to vote for several options at once. It is never possible to go back and change the options voted for.
Would you mind deleting the "not sure yet" option as this totally blows away any usefulness this poll may actually have?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Polls can't be changed once posted. Thus, the poll really only represents a first impression of self selected users. No internet forum poll uses statistical samples and good math to calculate degrees of confidence.

One could vote he is dissatisfied and find a week later he is completely satisfied. A slight imperfection could be a big disappointment on day one and not even noticeable a week later.

I'd suggest no one votes until they have used the PW for at least a week.

Every gadget I've purchased shows imperfections out of the box and a week later they are completely forgotten.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I'm sure there are some with bad screens, but part of the problem may be too many high expectations. I think some may have been expecting or hoping for something comparable to a backlit LCD screen. I was just expecting something better than the nook.
Bingo! It's difficult to determine whether some folks have received defective units. That wouldn't be surprising in initial production runs. But it's clear that most of the complaints on the Amazon boards are coming from people who want the same performance as a fully illuminated backlit screen without the downside.

Speaking personally, I find the PaperWhite a marvel of good engineering and design even if Amazon engineers were unable to repeal the laws of physics.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
it's clear that most of the complaints on the Amazon boards are coming from people who want the same performance as a fully illuminated backlit screen without the downside.

Speaking personally, I find the PaperWhite a marvel of good engineering and design even if Amazon engineers were unable to repeal the laws of physics.
Yes, I agree. I think it's wonderful, even with some uneven areas at the bottom. It is awesome! I didn't buy it "for the light" but I like the light! The light is a nice bonus to the other great things about this ereader.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I bought it for the high res screen and especially the light. I even overrode my moral conviction that a device that does not display ePub is evil. I had high expectations that were tempered a bit by reviews on this forum. I have to say that I love the screen! I love the light and a few shadows at the bottom do not bother me. Don't let these reviews scare you away. Note that my screen looks way better than the picture Jeffrey posted.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #28
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

No, I added that notice in an attempt to appease JSWolf's point that voters can't change their choice from 'Not Sure Yet' later, since I can't edit the poll directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you mind deleting the "not sure yet" option as this totally blows away any usefulness this poll may actually have?
Sorry you're not happy with that choice, I've already said I'm more than happy for a mod to remove it. But there are less petulant ways to get your point across.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #29
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It most certainly works for me. Looks great. It'll be kind of hard to retire the Keyboard...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #30
whitefish
whitefish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, iPhone
Like some others, when I initially saw the screen out of the box, was concerned about blotches etc. but truly, after trying various lighting scenarios, playing with the the fonts etc. came to the conclusion this is one *incredible* product! It is hands-down the best Kindle I have ever owned (including the K4). The contrast and screen are amazing. My sister has a K3 - -we held them up side by side and she wanted (and ordered!) a Paperwhite on the spot.

Try out the PW in various places you frequent (Starbucks, florescent lighted break-room at work, airplane, bus ride home, in bed etc.). After a bit of experimenting/adjusting I love the PW and will never go back to a non-lighted screen again.
whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote