Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
MrsDbolt
MrsDbolt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Blue button splitting away...

Hello out there!
I'm wondering if anyone has run into a problem with the blue button separating from the front of their device?
I've had my Kobo for less than a year, but already I've had to return it FOUR TIMES due to the button coming away. This most recent time is after less than 2 weeks of being replaced again. It still works, but there's a gap and I worry that things will get caught in the space and damage it further.

Kobo assured me that this is not a common occurence, but since I don't use an oily hand cream, I only use the pad of my thumb to turn pages, there's no exposure o water/sun/acid/alien plasma...there's no way that I am the only person running into this (4 times)...right?
MrsDbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Some discussion here

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Dang it - now my Kobo WiFi button is splitting away from the unit!!!! (just like the blue button on the original). I haven't been extra hard on it - and only had it 9 months. I only read about 2 - 3 books per month, and I am a fairly gentle handler.

It's all fine and dandy if Chapters gives me a new one, but I keep hearing that the same thing keeps happening to everyone who gets a replacement. Shall I try the crazy glue trick - or will that void the warranty?

If they'd replace this one with a new 'touch' I guess it wouldn't be an issue anymore, but the likelihood of that happening is not so good.

What do you think - should I just take it back and have it replaced?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
That happened to menintook it t
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

That happens to me as well. I took it to the local Indogo and they did a straight exchange for a touch. No hassle just ' we don't have any wifi in stock how about the néw touch'
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Wow - you got a new touch out of it?! Wonder if I should wait a while until all of the WiFi stock is depleted to ensure my exchange will be for a 'touch'. But...do I want a 'touch'? I have enjoyed what I've had for the past 9 months...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
baronrus
Addict

Indigo has been great to me in the past so if you want a touch and you have your bill go for it.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic

Wow - I just went onto the Chapters website and get this: ALL Kobo WiFi's UNAVAILABLE. Kobo Touch - 2 weeks to get a big batch in (as per a post by customer service dude Stan G).

So, WTF? I guess I have to call a bunch of stores to find out who has what in stock so I can do an exchange?

Are they still making WiFi versions???
Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
srs_bsns
srs_bsns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
You can check in store stock on their website. There are still a few stores that have stock in the Greater Vancouver area (even though the banner ad says they are sold out in store) so there's a decent chance a store near you will still have some too.
srs_bsns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Wow - I just went onto the Chapters website and get this: ALL Kobo WiFi's UNAVAILABLE. Kobo Touch - 2 weeks to get a big batch in (as per a post by customer service dude Stan G).

So, WTF? I guess I have to call a bunch of stores to find out who has what in stock so I can do an exchange?

Are they still making WiFi versions???
Try Wal-Mart.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Try Wal-Mart.
Would I be able to do a warranty exchange at a WalMart? I don't think I would be able to...I bought it at a Chapters/Indigo store, which honours warranty exchanges for Kobo if they are purchased at their store...correct?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
MrsDbolt
MrsDbolt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
After 6 exchanges through Kobo customer support, I finally complained loudly enough that they shipped me a brand new WiFi to settle my 'blue button' issues. I've had my WiFi for a few months now and everythng seems to be just fine. Customer support was very good with communication and shipping out replacement units, but yes, as someone previously said, every single replacement unit that I got had the blue button break down in 1 month (or less!).

I wonder how everyone is getting these in-store exchanges...as far as I know, Chapters will only exchange products within the first 30 days. I would say that if you've gotten an in-store exxchange you're lucky, but for the vast majority of people this won't happen - or maybe it will and i should break my WiFi and give it a shot!
MrsDbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
baronrus
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDbolt View Post
After 6 exchanges through Kobo customer support, I finally complained loudly enough that they shipped me a brand new WiFi to settle my 'blue button' issues. I've had my WiFi for a few months now and everythng seems to be just fine. Customer support was very good with communication and shipping out replacement units, but yes, as someone previously said, every single replacement unit that I got had the blue button break down in 1 month (or less!).

I wonder how everyone is getting these in-store exchanges...as far as I know, Chapters will only exchange products within the first 30 days. I would say that if you've gotten an in-store exxchange you're lucky, but for the vast majority of people this won't happen - or maybe it will and i should break my WiFi and give it a shot!
Maybe it depends on your local store manager. I had a battery issue with my KO took it back and they exchanged it for a wifi no problems I had to pay the difference in price between the lowest KO price and the wifi because I couldnt find the reciept. Then I had the button pull away from the front adn they exchanged for a wifi no questions.

I cant say enough about the service at our local indigo.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
pokee
Fanatic

I am honestly not even sure I want to do an exchange. My Kobo has been great - I am scared that when I go to exchange it at my local Chapters, I'll have to kick up a stink about the button issue, and then I'll get my new one home and while it may have a shiny new button, it may have another issue (like a defective screen or a software issue).

Has anyone kept their Kobo going even with a split button? I am just wondering if eventually it will fail because stuff will get caught in there over time...what do you think?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
pokee
Fanatic

Well, I searched online for Chapters stores that had the largest selections of WiFi Kobos in stock, and as luck would have it, my local store had 20 in stock! Good thing, because most other within the 100km radius had either none or anywhere between 1 and 5 (which can be sketchy depending on when they update stock on their website). Imagine my surprise when I went to the store with 20 in stock to go exchange my WiFi and the manager tells me they only have a few in stock and they have to be sent back to Kobo (and no Touch models, either). WTF? Guess the online stock was waaaay off!!!

He said he could call around all the stores to see if there was one I could go pick up, but honestly, I did not feel like driving across hells half acre just to get another one of these things. I figured if it was quick and easy to do at my local store, why not? The manager suggested calling Kobo, and they would send me a 'kit' to ship the Kobo back to them, where upon receipt they would inspect it and either fix it or send me a new/refurbished WiFi or a $ buy out towards a new Touch (depending on their decision). That doesn't sound like a good option. I would be without my Kobo for probably about 4 - 6 weeks!

I think I am going to wait until they have more 'Touch' models in stock (my warranty doesn't expire for until the end of October) and then try to exchange it then. We'll see...

In the meantime, I just have to be careful that I don't get any food in my button crack!!!

Last edited by pokee; 07-09-2011 at 09:18 PM.