Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Help converting?

I've been using Calibre 0.5.10 for a while because I liked the way it produced LRF output (for my 505). I've set up the defaults the way I like them, so I can usually just load a source file, press convert, and it produces a nice LRF.

I brought a Nook Touch, so I want to start producing EPubs and LRF, and I'm having some problems.

Most of my source documents are EPub, but I want to "massage" them to get the look I like (line spacing, margins, and font size). I seem to have to convert from EPub to Mobi first (and then use the Mobi as input), otherwise some parameters don't seem to be used. Does this sound right? Is there a way to say not to touch the original Epub, and create a new Epub from the original?

Also, is there a way to set up multiple default output parameter sets. I set the Preferences->Conversion->Common options for LRF, but find I need different settings to get EPub output that looks good to me. Is there a way I can store and load Common conversion options based on the output format?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I think for ePub conversion you're going to want to update your copy of Calibre. A lot of work's been done between 0.5 and current version.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm now using version 0.8.5. I've been fiddling with 0.8.5, and my questions are in regards to version 0.8.5.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Normally if you convert then the output format always overwrites an existing format if it exists. One thing you can do, however, is add your master copy as something like a RAR as that would then not get overwritten.

As far as saving settings are concerned, then there is no way to save Common Conversion settings for a specific output format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Normally if you convert then the output format always overwrites an existing format if it exists. One thing you can do, however, is add your master copy as something like a RAR as that would then not get overwritten.
Thank you itimpi, you are a prince!

I simply changed the extension to .zip, and I get the behavior I want.

I first tried creating a zip from the epub, but Calibre seemed to "automatically" unzip it and added the Epub.
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Thank you itimpi, you are a prince!

I simply changed the extension to .zip, and I get the behavior I want.

I first tried creating a zip from the epub, but Calibre seemed to "automatically" unzip it and added the Epub.
I had suggested RAR in preference to ZIP as if you add a HTML based ebook, Calibre will gather the constituent parts and store them in a ZIP file. There is no situation in which Calibre will normally store an ebook file as a RAR file type.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote