Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #241
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I just failed again on step 2.
Oh dear. What was it this time? I don't suppose it was a "this hour only, 80% discount" kind of deal... Have you finished that book you bought yesterday yet?

If you don't have to buy an ebook now for some very good reason (like a limited time 80% discount), just add it to your Amazon (or other retailer)'s wishlist. It'll still be there to buy when you've got through a few more of your TBR pile.

After all, you want to read all the books on your TBR pile. You wouldn't have bought them if they weren't of interest. That new book that you haven't bought yet is unlikely to be better than every one of the books you have already bought.

Remember: "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauve-y shade of pinky russet." And by the time you've remembered that, perhaps you'll be able to resist the pull of the next shiny new ebook you come across!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #242
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now there's a sensible pledge. I'm sure you can do it. It's what I'm going for too.

It's now been nine days since I bought an ebook!
Of course now there is the 3rd book out in a series I've been reading and now I'm jonesing. But I will be strong.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #243
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Just checking in. I have not purchased in 5 days.

I've also only grabbed a couple of freebies in the last few days. That could be because I'm in middle of overhauling and sectioning my calibre library into multiple libraries. I'm trying to get it all set up so that when the Pandigital gets here (they finally shipped it!) the content server will be ready for my roommate.

I recommend a calibre library overhaul for anyone who has trouble holding onto the idea that they have too many ebooks. Organizing them all (in my case, again) really gives you an accurate picture of the size of the monster you've created. Plus, you'll be reminded of all those great books that seemed so interesting but got lost in the TBR pile months ago.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #244
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Just checking in. I have not purchased in 5 days.
That's a good sign, I mean, no? ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #245
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Of course now there is the 3rd book out in a series I've been reading and now I'm jonesing. But I will be strong.
You have lots of other books you want to read. It'll still be there in July. Add it to a wish list, and forget it until July.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #246
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Oh dear. What was it this time? I don't suppose it was a "this hour only, 80% discount" kind of deal... Have you finished that book you bought yesterday yet?
Nah. I paid full price

If I don't buy anything there is no reason for me to show up and no reason for you to talk to me. So I HAVE to buy ebooks. I have no friends, you know.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #247
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
If I don't buy anything there is no reason for me to show up and no reason for you to talk to me. So I HAVE to buy ebooks. I have no friends, you know.
Now that's one of the most original book-buying excuses I've heard yet.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #248
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
HÄH??? What do you mean by restricted?

Anyway, JSWolf, you owe me! I was so agitated I had to buy an ebook! 99cents, but nonetheless
I'll send you a 15% off on new eBooks from Fictionwise if that helps.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #249
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Would a pbook buyer also be welcome here? Since geographic restrictions have pretty much put a huge damper on my ebook purchasing I've resorted to pbook acquisition on a massive scale. Case in point - my latest book haul.
First we'll convert you to eBooks and then we'll keep you from buying them. Or is it we'll keep you buying them? I'm not really sure.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #250
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I just joined a book lending group on Goodreads. Maybe that will help me with the urge to buy everything. It can't hurt!
URL please?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #251
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
12 steps? Weird. Just two steps here:

1. Realise you have a problem.
2. Stop buying ebooks for a while.

It's more then that....

1. You don't think you have a problem
2. Someone else has to convince you that you have a problem
3. You have to finally realize that you do have a problem.
4. You have to slow down by starting off not buying anything beyond $7.99.
5. Then you have to go to $6.
6. Then you have to go to $5.
7. Then you have to go to $4.
8. Then you have to go to $3.
9. Then you have to go to $2.
10. Then you have to go to $1.
11. Then you have to go to less then $1.
12. Then you have to just stop and you cannot get any free eBooks if they are part of a series as then you'll have to get the others if you like it. So no free eBooks in a series.

See, 12 steps.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #252
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
What series?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #253
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have to go read The Maltese Falcon so I can forget about buying eBooks for a while. One thing that helps is realizing how many in LRF I have and have to convert to ePub.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #254
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What series?
Julia London's Cedar Spring series. Something straddling the fence(s) between romance, chick lit, and women's fiction.

I will survive. I have a lot of science fiction queued up from Baen
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #255
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
First we'll convert you to eBooks and then we'll keep you from buying them. Or is it we'll keep you buying them? I'm not really sure.
Well, I don't need converting to ebooks. I love ebooks as well, I've got more than 300 ebooks from the good old Fictionwise days. It's just that at the moment I'm not really buying ebooks. Guess that's one thing geo-restrictions is good for.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote