Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Remote controls-- the next frontier in ebook reading?

Can't be too long before someone develops ebook software for that big LCD on the upcoming Nintendo Wii U* remote.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainm...cessor-110607/

(Much more info on the remote here, but the site is firmly NSFW.)

*Just when you think they couldn't come up with a dumber name, you get one that sounds like a British ambulance wiiUwiiUwiiUwiiU!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd love a remote for my Kindle when I'm on the treadmill.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
you'd still be fumbling with something in your hand!

I'm still trying to figure out why the previous owner of my car decided it needed a remote for the radio
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Well, they shouldn't have any trouble finding buttons for turning the pages.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
you'd still be fumbling with something in your hand!
That's not the problem. The problem is having to run too close to the front of the treadmill (to reach the button) and banging my knuckles on the handles.
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
tap a touch screen ftw. Easy to do on a treadmill.
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
tap a touch screen ftw. Easy to do on a treadmill.
Nobody's listening.
It's not an "ease" issue. It's an arm-length issue. I'd still have the same problem with a touch screen if I had to run as close as I do to the eReader to reach the button/screen comfortably. I want to run in the middle of my treadmill with both arms free to pump up and down. A plunger-type push-button remote would be perfect.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
OTOH - a remote with plug-in switches would be ideal for 'differently abled" users. The reader could be mounted conveniently for the eyes and the switches mounted wherever the user had muscle control. So maybe someday a government will mandate accessibility for ereaders - unless manufacturers act first.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I would love to have a remote control for my Kindle. Sometimes I lie in bed on my side and prop my Kindle on my Peeramid Pillow and there's not an easy way to keep my hand over there to turn the pages. Especially in the winter time when I like to be bundled up under the covers!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Just to be clear (as the posts seem to be veering off in a totally different direction) I wasn't talking about using a remote control to operate your ebook reader, I was talking about using a remote control as an ebook reader. The next generation Nintendo console is going to have a remote control/"joystick" that has a 6.x inch color touchscreen display. That remote control seems like something ripe for ebook reading.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Sounds almost like a DIY project.

There are different devices that operate by applying pressure to retract a wire that activates the other end. Bicyle brakes, gadgets to pick things up, fancy back scratchers etc.
No electricity required.
The hard part would be finding the right springs.
It would probably not be that difficult to design an electronic method, but probably overkill

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee
Just to be clear (as the posts seem to be veering off in a totally different direction) I wasn't talking about using a remote control to operate your ebook reader, I was talking about using a remote control as an ebook reader.
Oops! My fault entirely.
I still want a remote for my ereader, though.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You want voice control, lol. Hmm, I have seen that on some devices.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Just to be clear (as the posts seem to be veering off in a totally different direction) I wasn't talking about using a remote control to operate your ebook reader, I was talking about using a remote control as an ebook reader. The next generation Nintendo console is going to have a remote control/"joystick" that has a 6.x inch color touchscreen display. That remote control seems like something ripe for ebook reading.
I was wondering much the same thing when I saw the wiiU release. Could be neat, but knowing Nintendo, you'll probably have to Wii-waggle the whole device to register a page turn.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote