Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Opinion: Would you destroy physical book in exchange for a electronic version?

Here is the scenario:

This is totally hypothetical, I’m not offering to do it etc etc, just starting a discussion on it.

You "know" someone or have a friend that has an ebook version of current best seller that isn’t offered electronically, for arguments sake we say that they bought the book / scanned / formatted etc all for their use ONLY.
Would you buy a physical copy, and exchange it for a copy of the ebook version, as long as the physical copy was destroyed?

So:
1) Electronic copy was made destroying physical copy.
2) You buy physical copy to be traded for ebook version
3) The physical book is destroyed to prevent “extra” copys / in exchange for the ebook verison.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Id rather have the physical copy.....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I gave away a few old copies of public domain books when I got an ereader, but that is as far as I am going! My book collection is priceless (to me, at least)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Depends on the book. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
If I have bought the book, I feel no moral dilemma procuring an ebook from the dark net of that same book.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
It depends on the book, and the quality of the ebook version.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I would keep both and just consider the pbook as using up one of the 6 allowed simultaneous "devices" that ebook licenses allow.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Astrakan
Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.Astrakan knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
If I have bought the book, I feel no moral dilemma procuring an ebook from the dark net of that same book.

Lee
That's a position I can agree with. I'd consider it on the same level as not rebuying MP3s of songs you already own on CD.
Astrakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
Usually "real" books are much more valuable to me than the e-books. I have the Kindle in large part for the public domain and classic titles and I still have a couple thousand BOOKS I wouldn't trade for any e-book.
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
It's a very cool question but for me the answer is Nope, the book monkey rides me too hard.

Heck I have purchased "dead tree" and digital versions of a number of the same books. I once found myself reading the same book, in parallel, on a computer during lunches at work, as a hardcover during laundromat trips, and on an ipod touch (after the wife said "lights out") at bedtime.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I have a visceral antipathy toward destroying any book, no matter what I get in return. I just can't do it. It's destroying a book. </shudder>
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I have a visceral antipathy toward destroying any book, no matter what I get in return. I just can't do it. It's destroying a book. </shudder>
I don't like the eradication of knowledge potentials either. This is why I share everything that I can. Is not sharing the same as destruction though? When copying is so simple? I propose that it is. To not share your books, that is a crime against knowledge.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Here is the scenario:

This is totally hypothetical, I’m not offering to do it etc etc, just starting a discussion on it.

You "know" someone or have a friend that has an ebook version of current best seller that isn’t offered electronically, for arguments sake we say that they bought the book / scanned / formatted etc all for their use ONLY.
Would you buy a physical copy, and exchange it for a copy of the ebook version, as long as the physical copy was destroyed?

So:
1) Electronic copy was made destroying physical copy.
2) You buy physical copy to be traded for ebook version
3) The physical book is destroyed to prevent “extra” copys / in exchange for the ebook verison.
nope, I am genetically predisposed against book burning for any reason other than last ditch survival at 15,000ft and no wood or other fuel within a 10-mile hike.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I've chopped-and-scanned books I bought for that purpose. I suppose that counts as "destroying" the physical book; it's certainly not particularly readable afterward.

I usually look on Amazon for a used copy for this--which means I pay a penny + postage, and the author & publisher receive nothing.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
I would keep both and just consider the pbook as using up one of the 6 allowed simultaneous "devices" that ebook licenses allow.
I like that logic.

I guess if someone offered to make a (proofread) ebook from a book, which involved destroying the book, I've got a few that are in bad shape, anyway and would trade like that. Or if the author or publisher offered to give the ebook to anyone who sent in a paper copy (or a few pages thereof, or some other kind of proof of destruction).

Scanning books myself I'm too lazy to, but then, I've got a flatbed scanner, so that'd involve turning pages and aligning them by hand, not droping a sheaf of pages in and letting the scanner do its thing.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote