Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
buster
buster began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Error starting Connect software..can I get by without it

I have just bought the reader from asia and got back home to Madrid only to find the Connect software won't initialize (error 0x000005). I am working with a Spanish OS (xp home). I have uninstalled and re installed. I have deleted all registry keys with "sony reader" then re installed, I have installed the updated version from sony. The same error. The reader won't connect either the hardware driver fails.(the option of unisnstalling everything that says "sony" isn't easy as I use a sony vaio laptop).
Does anyone know if the problem is:

a) me (i am simply being a complete muppet)
b) the Spanish OS
c) something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to manage without it using a card reader but don't know what I am missing.
buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot take advantage of the $50 credit for the Connect store without it. That said, you could use Libprs500 to talk to your Sony Reader. But before you install it, make sure the USB driver for the Sony Reader that your copy of Connect may or may not have installed is not still installed. Once you are sure that is gone, you should be all set.

Do you happen to run a 64-bit XP? If so, Connect will NOT work. THe other thing I am thinking is because the Reader is a US only product (at the moment) that Connect just simply doesn't work with other then an English XP/Vista.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot take advantage of the $50 credit for the Connect store without it. That said, you could use Libprs500 to talk to your Sony Reader. But before you install it, make sure the USB driver for the Sony Reader that your copy of Connect may or may not have installed is not still installed. Once you are sure that is gone, you should be all set.

Do you happen to run a 64-bit XP? If so, Connect will NOT work. THe other thing I am thinking is because the Reader is a US only product (at the moment) that Connect just simply doesn't work with other then an English XP/Vista.
With libprs500, can you charge the Reader via USB if you use Vista 64bit?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know if Libprs500 works with a 64-bit Windows OS. The best thing to do is send a PM to kovidgoyal and as him if it does and if not, ask him to compile a 64-bit compatible version of the device driver. Then it should work hopefully.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I actually dont know if libprs500 will work on a 64bit system as I dont have a 64bit system to test on. I believe the USB driver should work though.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
You do not really need the Connect software.

The only situation when you do need the Conect software is when you use the Reader for the first time
1. To delete crap that came on the reader
2. to purchase books from The Connect store using your $50 credit

Ask a friend to let you to install the SW on his computer with english Windows. You connect the reader and remove the "demo" books, pictures and sounds that clutter the memory and the book list.
Then you can purchase books from the connect store using your $50 credit.

After that one single use just use a card reader and obtain your books elsewhere. I personally do it that way. Card reader costs about $10. Card reader works under old windows (like 98), under new Windows (Vista) under Windows 2000, under Linux, freebsd, mac OSX. The Conect software does not work on those systems at all and when it works it works very poorly.

The reader battery lasts a bit longer when you do not use memory card. So what? I can read for several weeks between charges. (unlike Iliad users [:evil grin:])
If you load rtf file using the card the Reader will need to analyze the file after opening. So what? It takes the Reader a minute or two to open the book and after that I spend many hours reading that book.

You can buy books from the Connect store if you use the Connect software. I personally strongly dislike the way the Connect purchased books are formated. There are MANY books freely available on the net.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You do not really need the Connect software.

The only situation when you do need the Conect software is when you use the Reader for the first time
1. To delete crap that came on the reader
2. to purchase books from The Connect store using your $50 credit

Ask a friend to let you to install the SW on his computer with english Windows. You connect the reader and remove the "demo" books, pictures and sounds that clutter the memory and the book list.
Then you can purchase books from the connect store using your $50 credit.

After that one single use just use a card reader and obtain your books elsewhere. I personally do it that way. Card reader costs about $10. Card reader works under old windows (like 98), under new Windows (Vista) under Windows 2000, under Linux, freebsd, mac OSX. The Conect software does not work on those systems at all and when it works it works very poorly.

The reader battery lasts a bit longer when you do not use memory card. So what? I can read for several weeks between charges. (unlike Iliad users [:evil grin:])
If you load rtf file using the card the Reader will need to analyze the file after opening. So what? It takes the Reader a minute or two to open the book and after that I spend many hours reading that book.

You can buy books from the Connect store if you use the Connect software. I personally strongly dislike the way the Connect purchased books are formated. There are MANY books freely available on the net.
I'm a little confused. So you're saying that I'll be able to get books from the Connect store onto a memory card, even in Vista64bit, and then put the memory card in my Reader and be fine? And charging will still work fine in Vista64bit, or no?

Thanks (and apologies for the thread hijack).
Old 07-12-2007, 04:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I'm a little confused. So you're saying that I'll be able to get books from the Connect store onto a memory card, even in Vista64bit, and then put the memory card in my Reader and be fine? And charging will still work fine in Vista64bit, or no?

Thanks (and apologies for the thread hijack).
You can only buy books from the Connect store using the Connect software, and that won't run under 64-bit XP/Vista.

Charging via USB will only work if the Connect software is installed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
WilliamG
Addict

So there's definitely no way to do charging via USB in Vista 64bit? If I were able to buy books on my wife's machine, but still be able to charge the device on mine, that would be useful...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I actually dont know if libprs500 will work on a 64bit system as I dont have a 64bit system to test on. I believe the USB driver should work though.
Would you mind trying a version of the USB driver compiled for 64-bit and maybe William can test it for you?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The USB (libusb) driver is compiled for both 32-bit and 64-bit, I just dont know if it will work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
buster
buster began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Getting by without Connect

Thanks for the help, I installed libprs500 and now it also has the driver. Just to clarify that my pc is a bog standard 32 xp home. I will try putting the connect software a English OS but I can't use the credit because I am in Europe and connect i presume does not work here. I still have a couple of issues

firmware update doesn't take, goes "preparing to install" then shuts off

The help file in bookdesigner won't open, I open the html0 file and it gives me an error, is it availabe in another format?

I don't know how to open CLI program in libprs

one last thing that i should probably put on anther thread but i'll mention it here is there a good way to transfer text books with diagrams to the reader as I am studying CCNA and would like to be able to use the reader for revision (the books came with cd rom containing pdf of the book I want to transfer it to the reader) Trying RasterFarian and ABBY.
buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
WilliamG
Addict

I don't have Vista 64bit since I don't have my new laptop yet, so I can't test it.