Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Akbar
Enthusiast
Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Galaxy tab s3
How big is the Aura One screen?

I would like to know how exactly the One screen is bigger than the H2O screen before placing my preorder. Screen size is very important for me as I have to read a lots of PDF. Basing on the information available, such as the number of pixels on each side of the screen (1878*1404) and the diagonal of the screen (7.8"), I came up with the screen size as 6.24*4.68 inch. Am I correct?
Thanks

Last edited by Akbar; 12-14-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, your calculations are correct. Try this comparison if you want to see the difference between a 6.8"/7.8" displays.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Akbar
Enthusiast
Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Yes, your calculations are correct. Try this comparison if you want to see the difference between a 6.8"/7.8" displays.
Thank you, this is really helpful.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One quick comparison to a 6" diagonal reader -- the 6" screen height is 4.80", the 7.8" screen width is 4.68". Basically, the Aura One screen width is within 3% of the height of a 6" screen.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
You may want to read Nate Hoffelder's take on the Digital Reader blog. He thinks the software for PDFs is terrible making the reader almost unusable for reading PDFs.

To be fair he does think is a good reader for other formats just not PDF.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:24 AM   #6
Akbar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
You may want to read Nate Hoffelder's take on the Digital Reader blog. He thinks the software for PDFs is terrible making the reader almost unusable for reading PDFs.

To be fair he does think is a good reader for other formats just not PDF.
--MH
Thank you this. Then I might wait and see if Kobo fixes that issue with a firmware.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:35 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbar View Post
Thank you this. Then I might wait and see if Kobo fixes that issue with a firmware.
Don't hold your breath. The handling for PDFs has not changed for a long time. I would not expect Kobo to change this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:20 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Way back when Kobo wifi reader was new was first when I remember PDF reading program for Kobo readers was improved . Then Kobo Touch with faster processor made it only little better. Big defect was it did not auto center text or anything else on screen. I had to manually center text on each page. It also lacked pinch zoom. Sony T1 was much better including text reflow and pinch zoom. Both needed larger screen to display full page large enough to read and many pdf's require a color screen. Imagine going back to black and white motion pictures and TV.

Last edited by filmo; 09-05-2016 at 05:25 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbar View Post
From what other people say, for reading pdfs, koreader is the best at the moment.

I don't use nickel at all, only koreader. And I also have CoolReader installed, just in case.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote