Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #391
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Now the Nooks are finally available for purchase in the UK, I wonder if it's possible to transfer my B&N account to the UK store?
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #392
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
Now the Nooks are finally available for purchase in the UK, I wonder if it's possible to transfer my B&N account to the UK store?
I have been wondering about that also.
I do not think the Nook devices will be country specific.
The most logical to me would be one account database, with the account addres and your IP-address derterming your country (just as is done now for the US and Canada).
The nook.co.uk website is supposed to come online today. You could try 2 things:
1. Try to login to the UK website with your current account
2. Change the address of your current account to an UK address, than try to login to the UK website.
I am not sure if you would still be able to download the US books in your account, with an UK account.

As I live in the Netherlands buying the devices when I am in London on vacation would be a lot cheaper than shipping the devices from the US. So I would like to know if the devices are country specific, or if I could use an UK tablet with the US Nook store.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #393
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using the link uk.nook.com/store I was able to login to the UK website. Only my Nook Simple Touch was shown (not my N1E or NC). And my Nook Library was empty.
So it looks like there is indeed one account database. But every website (UK/US) has its own Nook Library. And the UK website ony recognizes those devices that are also available in the UK.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #394
geertm
Guru

Some more testing with the uk.nook.com/store website.
Using a free UK VPN (Securitykiss) I have created an UK account. Using a different e-mail address than my US account, but using the same Dutch credit card. Registering the account with an UK shipping and billing address.
I was able to buy free as well as paid books without a problem. One thing I noticed is that the Nook library has no option to download an ebook, just to archive or delete it.
I installed the Nook for PC program from the US website. The program works fine with the UK account.
I am no longer using my NC (bought an Android tablet) so I erased and deregistered it, than registered it to my UK account. I got an error about credit card info not detected, and the shop still points to the US store, but the books from the UK account were downloaded fine, and I could read them without a problem.
So non-supported devices (N1E, NC, NT) can be used to read the books from an UK account, but not to shop.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #395
geertm
Guru

One last test with the UK account.
I sideloaded the book I downloaded from my UK account (using Nook for PC) to the Nook ereader on my Android tablet. Can read the book without a problem.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #396
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
Do NOOKs need to be registered?

Hi,
I live in Germany. A friend will give me a Nook ST Glowlight he bought in US. It is registered to his US address and his personal account. I don't want to buy books over his account of course. If he UNregisters it, can I then use the bare device without any registration? I don't want to buy books at B&N. I have a lot of DRM-free (most German language) EPUBs and PDFs and would like to sideload them using calibre.
Thanks for any advice!
SF
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #397
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfax View Post
Hi,
I live in Germany. A friend will give me a Nook ST Glowlight he bought in US. It is registered to his US address and his personal account. I don't want to buy books over his account of course. If he UNregisters it, can I then use the bare device without any registration? I don't want to buy books at B&N. I have a lot of DRM-free (most German language) EPUBs and PDFs and would like to sideload them using calibre.
Thanks for any advice!
SF
It is no problem with the Nook Simple Touch, so it should work.
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #398
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
I can confirm it will all work with the Nook ST Glowlight. All my books are side-loaded to the micro-SD card with Calibre.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #399
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfax View Post
Hi,
If he UNregisters it, can I then use the bare device without any registration?
SF
I would not suggest bypassing the registration. Just put in an e-mail and password and no credit card and you're fine! No address, no personal information at all needed. Just an e-mail. Doesn't even have to be your "real" e-mail. I have set up an e-mail adress that I use for all my family/friends when they get a new Nook. I'm in Sweden, by the way. Sideload everything!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #400
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
[QUOTE=slowfax;2298684.. If he UNregisters it, can I then use the bare device without any registration? [/QUOTE]

Thanks to all for your useful informations!
SF
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #401
Kasey C
Kasey C began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST
So I have a question following on from the above. I bought my father a Nook Simple Touch for Xmas from the US. I live in the US but he lives in the UK. He registered the Nook successfully but initially registered with the US B&N website, obviously he doesn't have a US billing address so he was unable to buy books. Today he unregistered the Nook and registered successfully with the UK Nook site but it still won't let him buy books (he was trying to buy books from the UK Nook site). Any advice would be appreciated as he is now planning on sending me the Nook back to me tomorrow and really want to resolve this issue. Many thanks in anticipation.
Kasey C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #402
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey C View Post
So I have a question following on from the above. I bought my father a Nook Simple Touch for Xmas from the US. I live in the US but he lives in the UK. He registered the Nook successfully but initially registered with the US B&N website, obviously he doesn't have a US billing address so he was unable to buy books. Today he unregistered the Nook and registered successfully with the UK Nook site but it still won't let him buy books (he was trying to buy books from the UK Nook site). Any advice would be appreciated as he is now planning on sending me the Nook back to me tomorrow and really want to resolve this issue. Many thanks in anticipation.
I don't know for the UK (should be the same though).
But my situation:
Bought the Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD and Nook HD+ from the US.
Live in Germany and have a German credit card.
All Nooks are registered to B&N US.
I have to use VPN, to simulate a US IP address.
Then I can buy on the B&N website, even though I'm using a German credit card. I've linked it to a US billing address though. IN my case, the US subsidiary of my employer.
I haven't found a way to use VPN on the Nook itself, so I'm buying via the B&N website.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #403
velarde
velarde began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I don't know for the UK (should be the same though).
But my situation:
Bought the Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD and Nook HD+ from the US.
Live in Germany and have a German credit card.
All Nooks are registered to B&N US.
I have to use VPN, to simulate a US IP address.
Then I can buy on the B&N website, even though I'm using a German credit card. I've linked it to a US billing address though. IN my case, the US subsidiary of my employer.
I haven't found a way to use VPN on the Nook itself, so I'm buying via the B&N website.
Hello:

I'm in a similar situation than you. Bought my Nook Color in the US but live in Mexico. Found out that I could buy books through the B&N website using a VPN software but just recently I can't do it.

IS anybody else (international Customers) having this trouble? Did Barnes & Noble made a change to their website to block these buys?
I'm in a Mac using Hotspot shield ( latest version) and my brother is using his PC and no go in either one.

Any suggestion/alternatives or are we screwed? Hope this is not the case. Been enjoying ebooks and I hope I don't have to limit myself to free ebooks.
velarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #404
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by velarde View Post
Hello:

I'm in a similar situation than you. Bought my Nook Color in the US but live in Mexico. Found out that I could buy books through the B&N website using a VPN software but just recently I can't do it.

IS anybody else (international Customers) having this trouble? Did Barnes & Noble made a change to their website to block these buys?
I'm in a Mac using Hotspot shield ( latest version) and my brother is using his PC and no go in either one.

Any suggestion/alternatives or are we screwed? Hope this is not the case. Been enjoying ebooks and I hope I don't have to limit myself to free ebooks.
My experience:
The first 2 or 3 orders go through.
Then, after some time, they tell me there have been problems in processing my order.
I guess, it's my German credit card linked to my US address instead of the original German billing address.
Strange enough: Although they claim problems in processing my order, it still goes through.
But after that message I stop for a day.
Next day the very same: "Problems in processing the order" for the ca. 4th book...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #405
geertm
Guru

I am using TunnelBear as an VPN. A few days ago I also suddenly had a problem with an order. When I used showip.net to check my location no US location was shown, just "anonymous proxy". I stopped the VPN and started it again to get another IP-address. This time showip.net showed an US location.
The last few days I still get an IP-address sometimes with no location.
Perhaps something has changed concerning IP-addressess for VPN services?
Check your VPN connection with showip.net before buying books. I am curious to know if other people notice the same IP-address problem.

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas