Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #46
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Manuscript to Ebook a Simple DIY guide f - David Kinder
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #47
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I didn't see a PDF copy at all, just links to Amazon for mobi copies. Do you have a PDF version? (And why would you release an epub tutorial only in a Kindle market?)
The link to the PDF was the text link (Manuscript to Ebook a Simple DIY guide f - David Kinder) immediately under the book cover link to Amazon.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #48
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I didn't see a PDF copy at all, just links to Amazon for mobi copies. Do you have a PDF version? (And why would you release an epub tutorial only in a Kindle market?)
It's in the top left corner - the text in the image is hard to read against the typewriter background. I've just downloaded it by clicking on the 'tab' at the bottom of the image.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
WOW! That PDF just looks awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #50
gogreen
gogreen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Manuscript to ebook

Hi,
Yes perhaps I should make it a little clearer! The free pdf of Manuscript to Ebook can be found directly below the cover link of the book to amazon. The pdf is a straight conversion from an epub copy to pdf using Calibre. Yes it does download in rather a large format but you can reduce the size of the text. The guide (I hesitate to call it a book) simply started out as a way for me to remember how I learnt to correct my first ebook and how I created my second book having no prior knowledge of building an ebook. I have one further book in draft format and one further idea for a book. By the time I get round to converting them to ebooks, I would have probably forgoten how I did it! So instead of sticking my experiences down on scrap pieces of paper, I thought I may as well prove to my self I could indeed build ebooks by making a guide (book!) out of it. If only a little bit can go to help other people then great. This forum is a great place for help. I am not looking to be marked on how beautiful the book looks, just its ability to help others to make an ebook. Comments good or bad can only help me and others to produce better ebooks. I could improve the cover but this would mean I would have to spend a further $4 doing a new picture and double the production cost of the book! This simply will not do.... Finally, although the free pdf provides all you require to produce an ebook, I have added a few extra chapters that are available in the Kindle format. Yes it does involve spending money (gulp!) but hey why not. It is available in full in the Kindle lending section as well.
gogreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #51
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
@gogreen:
May I suggest you start an independent thread for your guide? Just to avoid mixing things up. And if you intend to sell your Kindle version, maybe you should put it in the Author's Self Promotion forum.
I had a look at your guide, it covers many things that I left out in my tutorial. Thanks for making it freely available for others to learn.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #52
dubito
dubito began at the beginning.

Cool oops

Hi, Pablo.

Thanks for your pamphlet ›Quick and Dirty ePub Tutorial - v2.pdf‹
I just had a look at it and found a mistake: The little code starting with <h1>This is a level 1 title</h1> has to be applied in the source code of the html-file. Otherwise you just see what you have typed.
I have attached my file after having inserted the code in the source code. Above is what you suggested, below shows what I mean.

Best wishes Harry
dubito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #53
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubito View Post
Hi, Pablo.

Thanks for your pamphlet ›Quick and Dirty ePub Tutorial - v2.pdf‹
I just had a look at it and found a mistake: The little code starting with <h1>This is a level 1 title</h1> has to be applied in the source code of the html-file. Otherwise you just see what you have typed.
I have attached my file after having inserted the code in the source code. Above is what you suggested, below shows what I mean.

Best wishes Harry
I don't know what you mean by "source code" of the html file. You just type <h1>....</h1> in your text editor and save as file.html and that's it. Of course, when you open the file with a browser, you will not see the html tags, just the formatted text...

I can't see your attached file... maybe you are not allowed to attach files, as you've only written one post so far.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #54
DavidV
DavidV has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DavidV has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DavidV has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
epub Authoring

Since my last post some years ago, I have ugraded my ePubIt book authoring program quite a bit. It is free and lets you create ePUB books with a WSIWYG editor without the need to know any HTML or CSS. It also can create ePub books from RSS feeds. It only works with Windows and there are no support for languages other than English. I apologise to Mac and Linux users, but simply do not have the time to provide other versions.
If interested, you can download the program on www.lifespices.net
DavidV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #55
CaptainMachSnot
CaptainMachSnot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-Busted, Sony PRS-T1
I was wondering if someone can please help me. I have followed the dropcap instructions in the guide, but have adjusted to make it 3 lines high. What I need help with is when there is quotation marks in front of the first letter. Is there a way to make the quotes appear normal, while still having the initial cap show up?
Code I am currently useing:
Quote:
.dropcap {
float: left;
font-family: "Mariage";
font-size: 4em;
font-weight: normal;
height: 1em;
line-height: 1em;
margin-bottom: -0.2em;
margin-left: 0em;
margin-right: 0.125em;
margin-top: -0.1em;
text-indent: 0em;
}
CaptainMachSnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #56
sachin
Enthusiast
sachin began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMachSnot View Post
I was wondering if someone can please help me. I have followed the dropcap instructions in the guide, but have adjusted to make it 3 lines high. What I need help with is when there is quotation marks in front of the first letter. Is there a way to make the quotes appear normal, while still having the initial cap show up?
Code I am currently useing:
Try and search in this thread.
sachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #57
CaptainMachSnot
CaptainMachSnot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-Busted, Sony PRS-T1
Thanks sachin, exactly what i was looking for
CaptainMachSnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #58
Pablo
Guru

I just uploaded version 3 of the tutorial, covering Sigil 0.7.1
See first post for the file.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #59
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMachSnot View Post
You can do it by adjusting the span to start after the quote mark, but IMO it probably isn't a good idea. Making the quotation mark smaller than the drop cap is fine, but I would caution that a normal-sized quotation mark before such a large cap is likely to get lost visually, so you might want to make it somewhat larger than the normal body font.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #60
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I usually have an additional <span>, inside the dropcap, to collect everything that could appear before the dropcap proper (quote marks, or dashes and opening question/exclamation marks in Spanish). Anyway, note that printed books often completely drop (no pun intended) the initial quote mark before a drop cap (something I would obtain by adding "display:none" to my "predrop" <span>).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote