Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #76
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Just found this on a B&N forum. Person says there's a one-click conversion process with the NOOKcolor as a device choice. It's Windows based, but I know many Mac folks use Windows on their machine.
http://www.tools4movies.com/
I bought DVD Catalyst yesterday.
Both Nook Color profiles have the wrong screen resolution. The default screen resolution is 1028x600, but the Nook only support screen resolutions upto 854X480. So you need to change the resolution to 854x480. Than the video will play fine on the Nook Color.
I assume this will be corrected in a future update.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #77
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I bought DVD Catalyst yesterday.
Both Nook Color profiles have the wrong screen resolution. The default screen resolution is 1028x600, but the Nook only support screen resolutions upto 854X480. So you need to change the resolution to 854x480. Than the video will play fine on the Nook Color.
I assume this will be corrected in a future update.
Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't used the application.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #78
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Another free video converter that works well is the Miro Video Converter. I set the encoding to the Nexus One and it works perfectly on the NC.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #79
thazy2
thazy2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Catalyst 4 worked well....

I had a .mkv 720p 500mb coverted to .mp4 720 800mb using Droidx version.

thanks......scion
thazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #80
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well I bought DVD Catalyst and when playing the movies on my Fascinate (I know, not the Nook) the video and audio are out of sync.

However on the Nook they are in sync. So if you want to convert the movie for just the Nook then you should be o.k. But I like converting a movie and putting it on my phone. When I use Handbrake the movie plays fine on all platforms.

I'm not sure what it is about this program that makes it work as expected when using the profile for the device, yet it is out of sync on another device.

Handbrake is actually pretty easy to use these days but the one thing it does not have is the ability to override the volume up (DVD Catalyst has this). I find most of my movies the volume is lower than I care for so I'll probably just live with using DVD Catalyst and if I really want a movie on my Fascinate I guess I'll convert it twice.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #81
donovan1983
donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I used the suggestion in this thread of using Handbrake's iPhone preset. I set the bitrate a bit lower, to 700, and used a DRC value of 3 on the audio track which helps quite a bit with the audio levels. I also make sure to set the maximum width of the video to 720 if possible. Looks quite nice on the NOOKcolor's screen.
donovan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #82
carbphrek
carbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, NC
Well, I've been burning with CloneDVD using the IPad set. The movies look great, the vid & sound are in perfect sync.
carbphrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #83
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan1983 View Post
I used the suggestion in this thread of using Handbrake's iPhone preset. I set the bitrate a bit lower, to 700, and used a DRC value of 3 on the audio track which helps quite a bit with the audio levels. I also make sure to set the maximum width of the video to 720 if possible. Looks quite nice on the NOOKcolor's screen.
So the DRC being changed to 3 increases the volume?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #84
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
So the DRC being changed to 3 increases the volume?
Not really, but I suppose you could argue that it does. DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) decreases the difference between the quiet parts and the loud parts of the audio track.

If you are in a quiet environment and using good sound equipment (even headphones), then you will probably appreciate the full range.

If you are in a noisy environment or using a crummy sound system (like the speaker in the Nook Color), then applying some level of DRC will help you select a volume level where you can hear everything without being overwhelmed.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #85
French
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Not really, but I suppose you could argue that it does. DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) decreases the difference between the quiet parts and the loud parts of the audio track.

If you are in a quiet environment and using good sound equipment (even headphones), then you will probably appreciate the full range.

If you are in a noisy environment or using a crummy sound system (like the speaker in the Nook Color), then applying some level of DRC will help you select a volume level where you can hear everything without being overwhelmed.
Thank you. I wish Handbrake would add support for increased audio...the ONLY thing that keeps it from being perfect.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #86
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Thank you. I wish Handbrake would add support for increased audio...the ONLY thing that keeps it from being perfect.
I'll second that. Audio gain has been on the list for a long time it seems.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #87
CoreyTod
CoreyTod began at the beginning.

Has anyone tried putting a movie onto a microsd card and playing it from there? What class card would i need to get if i wanted to play a 848x348 movie at 23.97 fps with standard audio? I have multiple former hd movies encoded so that they play great on my nook, but I would like to know what class card (data transfer rate) i need to get before i go out and buy one.

Anyones experience is welcome.
CoreyTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #88
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I have a Kingston class 4 microsd card that I loaded a couple of movies on there. They all play very well.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #89
PatrickB
PatrickB began at the beginning.

Ok, I'm new here. I just got a Nook Color, and found this thread. I read through all of it and have downloaded HandBrake 0.9.4(not sure if it's the right version?) and can't get this to work. I should mention I am trying to convert the digital .wmv version that came with my blu ray. I just put the extra dvd in my pc, and opened up the folder and copied and pasted the movie.wmv file onto my desktop. When I first ran it in wmv it asked for a password, which I entered, then was able to watch it. So I followed the instructions on this post and used handbrake, the movie it converted, has no audio and is a mess of indistinguishable colors and crap, you can't see anything. What am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
PatrickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #90
VikingCrown
VikingCrown began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 3
Patrick,
most likely what is happening is the .wmv file has DRM on it. You would need to find a program to remove that DRM before you could convert the file into something the Nook Color would play. Hope that helps!
VikingCrown is offline   Reply With Quote