Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Audible Audiobooks - Streaming Annoyance

I use the Audible Streaming on the computer, and keep running into an issue where I want to replay a scene ( I tend to get distracted easily with audio), but when I click "back" it goes back to the beginning of the chapter instead of just that scene.

As with the book I'm on now, this particular chapter it backtracked to is over an hour and was nowhere near the scene that I wanted to "replay".

I forgot (again) that it goes back this far since I hadn't been keeping track of the chapters, was just listening.

This is beyond frustrating. I should be able to backtrack briefly and re-hear a scene where I missed something important, without going back so far.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to tweak it that I'm not aware of? Another way to listen to Audible Audiobooks that offers more options? I can use my phone but when the computer is available I prefer it since it saves on my battery/resources.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 11-26-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I use the Audible Streaming on the computer, and keep running into an issue where I want to replay a scene ( I tend to get distracted easily with audio), but when I click "back" it goes back to the beginning of the chapter instead of just that scene.

As with the book I'm on now, this particular chapter it backtracked to is over an hour and was nowhere near the scene that I wanted to "replay".

I forgot (again) that it goes back this far since I hadn't been keeping track of the chapters, was just listening.

This is beyond frustrating. I should be able to backtrack briefly and re-hear a scene where I missed something important, without going back so far.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to tweak it that I'm not aware of? Another way to listen to Audible Audiobooks that offers more options? I can use my phone but when the computer is available I prefer it since it saves on my battery/resources.
The phone app has back or forward 30 seconds. I think you can change to time forward or back in the settings.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The phone app has back or forward 30 seconds. I think you can change to time forward or back in the settings.
That is at least a relief to know. Since I mainly use my computer for this, this is a major pain. I didn't think there would be a way to adjust it, but figured I'd ask if anyone knew any way just in case.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Assuming the native Windows 10 app:
  1. Open Settings (that gear thing down near the bottom left)
  2. Click Playback
  3. Select the Rewind Media Button dropdown and choose behaviour.
  4. You can also choose, on this page, to either Download or Stream by default.
Note in the playback area that there are two rewind buttons and two forward buttons. The circular one is what you control with the Rewind Media Button setting. the |<- one is rewind to beginning of current chapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audible01.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	175153   Click image for larger version

Name:	audible02.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	175154  

Last edited by CRussel; 11-26-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added playback picture
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
At home, I listen to my Audible books on one of my Echos (Dot 3 or Show 5). If I need to go back, I say: "Alexa, go back xx sec/min". Super simple.

Away from home, I listen on a no-contract phone via the Audible app.

Voice Commands for Listening on Alexa Devices
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Assuming the native Windows 10 app:
  1. Open Settings (that gear thing down near the bottom left)
  2. Click Playback
  3. Select the Rewind Media Button dropdown and choose behaviour.
  4. You can also choose, on this page, to either Download or Stream by default.
Note in the playback area that there are two rewind buttons and two forward buttons. The circular one is what you control with the Rewind Media Button setting. the |<- one is rewind to beginning of current chapter.
Hm.

I do listen on Windows 10 on two computers, but mine doesn't have the double buttons. I press "listen" from the cloud player. If downloading the App for PC fixes this, I will do that when I get home. Thank you greatly, didn't know there was a difference in options between the two to this degree.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
At home, I listen to my Audible books on one of my Echos (Dot 3 or Show 5). If I need to go back, I say: "Alexa, go back xx sec/min". Super simple.

Away from home, I listen on a no-contract phone via the Audible app.

Voice Commands for Listening on Alexa Devices
I love listening to my Echo when I'm in my kitchen or living room. That's one bad thing about Scribd - although for that I can hook up a player to my kitchen radio system. The Echo definitely is convenient depending which room I'm in.

I may consider bringing one of my old phones to work and when I'm out for the app instead of using a computer. The computer is just so conveniently there, and at home I have the surround speakers hooked up to it when I'm doing my computer duties.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Hm.

I do listen on Windows 10 on two computers, but mine doesn't have the double buttons. I press "listen" from the cloud player. If downloading the App for PC fixes this, I will do that when I get home. Thank you greatly, didn't know there was a difference in options between the two to this degree.
Avoid the cloud player if you can. Though last time I looked, it did have those buttons (This is with Chrome. No idea what it looks like with Edge. Or Firefox.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audible03.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	175155  
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Maybe I was just missing the obvious. I feel kind of stupid now, I see the 30 second buttons this time. *facepalms*
Old 11-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You can also tweak those "jump back" and "jump forward" circular arrows to a little more or less time (the Android app says from 1s - 300s). 30 seconds is a pretty good number to start with, then tweak if you find you go back too far (you catch it quickly, so need less time) or have to hit it a few times. Mine's set at 20 seconds because I tend to catch right away that I want to listen to a certain bit again.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote