Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Could someone confirm how Jetbook naming convention works?

I have an Aluratek Libre, but Calibre, of course, identifies it as a Jetbook. The Jetbook driver for Calibre renames all files to the scheme <authorname>#<title>, regardless of file format when transferring to device.

Am I mistaken in thinking that this filename format is only necessary for text files on the Jetbook, now that the firmware has been updated so much from its original version?

In other words, would someone with a Jetbook please test that you can browse to books other than text if the name of the file is not in this scheme? Is the Jetbook functionality disturbed if you don't use the naming scheme?

It would be very good on the Libre to not be required to use this layout when using Calibre, as similarly authored files become very hard to distinguish when browsing for books. (The authorname and part of the title become truncated in the display when the filename is long.)

I have an open ticket on the Calibre tracker, and would like to confirm for Dr. Goyal that he can safely modify the driver to account for the Libre.

Thanks!
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I haven't really looked into this aspect very much, but it seems to me that the different
formats and readers involved somehow interact with the file naming and/or the use made
of "metadata". To the extent that the file naming has an impact a "renaming" program
like Oscar's Renamer http://www.mediachance.com/free/renamer.htm can make changes to the file
names and their structure over all the files in a folder. It has a macro feature as well to
let you automate repeating steps. I use it most often to remove and/or change problem
characters from file nemes. It has sequential numbering functions, also.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I'm not having any trouble renaming files manually. I'm trying to confirm how the Jetbook uses the naming scheme <authorname>#<title>. The point of learning this is to try to convince the Calibre developers to add an option to allow proper naming of files using the Send-To-Device naming options for the Libre (or for Jetbook if it turns out not to be necessary for formats like ePub).

Currently the Jetbook device driver in Calibre ignores the final filename attribute and forces the scheme above.

If you discover anything by looking into it, please reply here.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
I'm not having any trouble renaming files manually. I'm trying to confirm how the Jetbook uses the naming scheme <authorname>#<title>. The point of learning this is to try to convince the Calibre developers to add an option to allow proper naming of files using the Send-To-Device naming options for the Libre (or for Jetbook if it turns out not to be necessary for formats like ePub).

Currently the Jetbook device driver in Calibre ignores the final filename attribute and forces the scheme above.

If you discover anything by looking into it, please reply here.

Thanks.
Calibre can be set, in preferences, to change the naming scheme.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
capidamonte

Not for the Jetbook.

It can set the path to anything you want, but the filename? No, it will always be <authorname>#<title>, regardless of what you pick.
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Not for the Jetbook.

It can set the path to anything you want, but the filename? No, it will always be <authorname>#<title>, regardless of what you pick.
As I have my files set as {author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>3s}-{title} and they all show up in the correct folders, with the series index every time on my JBL, I must disagree with you.

Preferences --> Add/Save --> Sending to device
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
capidamonte

My settings, in both Send-to-Device and in the Jetbook driver plugin are:

{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index}{title}

The files arrive, though, as follows:

{author_sort}/{series}/<authorname>#<title>

So, while I won't say you're wrong, there is a discrepancy somewhere. It may have to do with your using a Jetbook Lite. Have you looked directly at the files via your file manager?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
DJHARKAVY
Addict

Quote:
My settings, in both Send-to-Device and in the Jetbook driver plugin are:

{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index}{title}

The files arrive, though, as follows:

{author_sort}/{series}/<authorname>#<title>

So, while I won't say you're wrong, there is a discrepancy somewhere. It may have to do with your using a Jetbook Lite. Have you looked directly at the files via your file manager?
Most of my files are sorted by author then series than say 000-Title, just as the sort indicates.

The send to should override the book settings.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
capidamonte

It doesn't.

I'm using Calibre 7.16. I have my settings as described.

It is definitely transferring files with the naming scheme I've described. It is definitely ignoring the settings in Send-To-Device and in Plugins|Device Interface Plugins|Ectaco Jetbook Device Interface.

I don't know what is happening on your end, or whether the Jetbook Lite is different somehow. I do know that what I'm describing is happening, is true for me and for others, and is a problem.

If you can explain how you're getting your results, that would help. Did you set the Jetbook as your device in the Welcome Wizard?

EDIT: Changing the Welcome Wizard to Default instead of Jetbook has no effect.

Last edited by capidamonte; 08-30-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
DJHARKAVY
Addict

Quote:
It doesn't.

I'm using Calibre 7.16. I have my settings as described.

It is definitely transferring files with the naming scheme I've described. It is definitely ignoring the settings in Send-To-Device and in Plugins|Device Interface Plugins|Ectaco Jetbook Device Interface.

I don't know what is happening on your end, or whether the Jetbook Lite is different somehow. I do know that what I'm describing is happening, is true for me and for others, and is a problem.

If you can explain how you're getting your results, that would help. Did you set the Jetbook as your device in the Welcome Wizard?

EDIT: Changing the Welcome Wizard to Default instead of Jetbook has no effect.
This might be better dealt with in the Caliber forum.

I used preferences to set my reader as the Jetbook. I then used preferences to set my Save as/ Send to.

As a short term fix, you can always take the SD card and do a Save As to the card, with it set to your preferences. I have the same settings for both and I vary depending on whether I want to hook up the USB or just stick the SD card in the reader. I hook up the USB when using my Tablet (it doesn't have an SD card reader) and I stick the SD card in my netbook.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
(Quickly sliced, hacked, ripped, and torn from the Ectaco forums, Quote )
"The PD books that came with the JBL are named (mostly) Author Name#Book_Title.txt. This displays in the menu as Author, left justified in the first line, followed by the Title, right justified in the second line. TXT, PDF and FB2 format books are displayed in this manner. EPUB, MOBI, PRC and RTF files named exactly the same way are displayed in a single line with the # and underscores intact. Books with exactly the same file names are displayed differently depending on their extension."

I think you are running into a Calibre problem, and its one of the reasons I don't mess around with Calibre.

Jetbook books can be named virtually ANYTHING and still work.
Cap if I can be of further assistance, just yell sir.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Name them what you want, but transfer them manually. With Calibre I use "Save Single Format to Disk" to save my ePUBs and then drag-and-drop to the jetBook (Well, SD card, but it's the same thing). I don't see much advantage in using the Calibre transfer option if it messes up your preferred naming.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
capidamonte

Right! But if it didn't, it would save a couple of steps. Which is what this is about... I'm finding Calibre pretty convenient, and now that I have an explanation of the name behavior on the Jetbook, it might be possible to have it work just fine.

Big thanks to both GhostHawk and Kralik for some PMs and what they've answered here. The quote above from the Ectaco forums says it affects .txt, .pdf and .fb2 files. I have a PM that suggests that it doesn't affect or isn't necessary with .pdf and .fb2 formats. Anyone else that can confirm that the naming structure of <authorname>#<title> on the Jetbook only works with text files, and only does what is described above, would be appreciated.

But I think I have enough now to take to the Calibre bug tracker. Here's hoping we can see that naming override go away -- it'll be useful for Jetbook users, too!

Last edited by capidamonte; 08-31-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Clarification on clarification.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
capidamonte

Naming scheme fixed! Should be in the next release!

Woo hoo!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
The text file naming scheme is emphatically NOT required; it only a convenience. You can (as I do) simply sort authors by using folders and have the name of the file be the title.

eg: \Classical\Charles Dickens\Tale of Two Cities.txt

PDF reads Author/Title from the metadata (unless the metadata is empty, in which case it uses the filename). I'm not 100% sure on FB2, since I don't use it, but I think it is the same, from metadata.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote