Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Partially failed ugrade to 35a

I downloaded and upgraded from 34C to 35a this afternoon, so that I could read my library books, however I might be better off learning how to strip DRM as this did not go well. I backed up my SD card with only a few items on it before reformating for the upgrade and then proceeded to upgrade. It took the full 15 minutes and though my unit is functioning, it wiped off all the files and books on the unit's flashdrive. I was left with Audio (empty) Picutres (empty), Books (empty) and .adobe-digital-editons with one file , device.xlm in it. As I'm able to recreate a file stucture I desire, I guess it's okay. It is functioning and I'm not ready to try again..
I openned ADE program and it does not see the device. I went to their website and Jetbook is not on their list of devices recognized, but ADE, but Aluretek was. Is my unit not functioning properly or will Adobe be updating for our library books?
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
As I understand it you need to have the ADE program running - before you plug-in the
device.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thankyou, I did those things and my Jebook is recognized, however the 3 books I downloaded from my local library's Overdrive Program will not open. Each book gives me a "failed to open" message. They are epubs and will open on my computer screen in ADE. Do they need to be in a spcecial folder on the Jetbook. BTW, thankyou for all of your help.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I would try dragging from the ADE application the library book to your jetBook which should be listed in the ADE application. If your device was not correctly activated, it should give an error. The epubs are normally copied to the Digital Editions folder from ADE.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
dixieknits
Addict

My ADE application will not allow me to drag from it giving me red x's. I've reformatted my sd card and reinstalled the firmware. Everytime, I do this I get different results. This time my book folders were left as well as the ade folder. My 3 library books are still not opening though Jetbook sees them and tries. I've spent 3 days of my 7 allowed to read trying to accomplish this and am frustrated beyond belief.
I've given it up and decided to go to the other side and learn how to remove the DRM . It makes no sense to put it on a library book that one is lending for free anyway and who wants to sit in front of a computer monitor reading? What were they thinking? I don't know how most library's work, but our E reader books all have long lists of waits and so you get them when they are available and may get 3 or 4 at the same time with only the 7 days to read. Again, very limiting and unrealistic.
If any geeks can pm me with detailed instructions how to run the scripts and software to remove the drm, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can follow step by step instructions and believe that part of the problem with Jetbook and the ADE library books is the lack of directions.. Anyway, I'm done with it and will try the other path...
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
My ADE application will not allow me to drag from it giving me red x's. I've reformatted my sd card and reinstalled the firmware. Everytime, I do this I get different results. This time my book folders were left as well as the ade folder. My 3 library books are still not opening though Jetbook sees them and tries. I've spent 3 days of my 7 allowed to read trying to accomplish this and am frustrated beyond belief.
It sounds like the jetBook was not successfully authorized by ADE.... thats why you have the red X's. If you haven't installed version 35K of the firmware, I would suggest that. BEFORE updating the firmware, I would reset the jetbook to defaults via Settings->System Settings->Restore Defaults. AFTER updating the firmware, Start ADE, then connect the jetBook. It should ask you to authorize the jetBook. Once it is authorized, you should be able to drag the books to the jetbook.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
dixieknits
Addict

Thanks, but I already upgraded..Very frustrating
Old 07-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
tselling
Addict

Check on the jetbook in the .adobe-digital-editions folder. You should have device.xml there after updating the firmware. After the jetBook is authorized, you should also have activation.xml.

If there are no files in the .adobe-digital-editions folder, I would delete the folder and update to version 35k again to get device.xml in there. Then try authorizing with ADE again. Once it is authorized I would make a copy of the .adobe-digital-editions folder.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
dixieknits
Addict

thanks, tomorrow mornings project...
Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I have both a JB at .35a custom and an ALP at .17d (patch 17).

The JB with FW Level .35a supports ADE and the FW .35g and up has ADE DRM support as well as B&N ePub DRM.

The Aluratek Libre Pro has ADE DRM support.

After reading above I decided to experiment with the ADE side of the units.

I have both purchased and Library books in both ePub and PDF formats. Some library books have expired and some are still live. I used Overdrive supported ADE to download from my local library.

Observations:

Both JB and ALP would be detected by the PC - ADE whether PC - ADE was up first or after readers were connected. Both units were handled in the same manner by the PC-ADE software when connected. If your reader has not been initially "Authorized" PC-ADE will detect this and ask if it can do it. You should only have to do it once

unless something happens to the .adobe... folder/file on the ereader. This file
exists on the ALP on purchase but for the JB you need FW .35a and up.

When connecting the readers to the PC via USB it is better to have them powered up so as to register them to the PC as external Media.

Unlike Calibre the PC-ADE does not log the SD card if you have one in the reader.

So all ebook transfers are placed within a "Digital Editions" folder on the
internal memory of the reader.

NOTE: You need to go through the PC-ADE software to "DRAG and DROP" your ebooks onto the JB or ALP bookshelf located on the left side of the display. It will not work outside of the PC-ADE software - meaning you cannot just locate where the ebook is stored and then DRAG and DROP it on the PC connected JB or ALP folders.

It will copy over but it will NOT be registered within the manifest.xml which is
what allows the ebooks to be opended on the ereader. I mentioned this because some people hear "Drag & Drop" and think folder to folder.

I prefer having my books reside on the SD/SDHC card.

I noticed that both units do not display the "Digital Editions" folder that resides in the device. Instead the ebooks that reside within that folder are just displayed as part of the first level list of folders and ebooks.

After using PC-ADE to copy some purchased ebooks as well as some Library Borrowed ebooks to both ereaders I remained PC connected and moved a couple of purchased as well as borrowed ebooks to this sd card folder.

Note: Digital Folder structure in internal memory is

Digital Editions\annotations\
Digital Editions\Thumbnails\
Digital Editions\manifest.xml
Digital Edditions\your_books.epub or .PDF

My folder on my SD card is

Digital Editions\your_books.epub or .PDF

no other folders or files other than ebooks in that D.E. Folder on the SD card.

manifest.xml stays on the internal memory D. E. folder.

Do not have duplicate ebooks across both folders.

When I access the various ADE ebooks via the ereader I was able to open all

authenticated books. Even the ones moved over to the SD Card.

When I connected back to the PC and started up PC-ADE it still recognized that the reader had the books regardless of which D.E. folder they were in. Then again I believe we are just working with the manifest.xml file at this point. If you drop more books on to your reader they will still only go to your Internal mem D.E. folder.

I often find that due to current releases being popular - you end up waiting in line to borrow a Library book. If you do not obtain the ebook right away when you are notified you lose your advantage. At my library loaned books remain active for 21 days. I am not a fast reader and I do not like reading too many books at the same time. So I remove the ADE drm which allows me to read the books at my own speed and not worry about them expiring on me when I get to them. I have a Library folder and I do delete them after I have finished with them. I do not pass them around. I feel that by doing it this way I am still within the intended boundaries of "on loan". (IMO - as I do not wish to start up another discussion on the legalities of this)

I have noticed that due to the ADE reader being implemented in the JB ePub now has active TOC if embedded. The border spacing is book dependent. One book gave me large page border while others were narrower.

We have lost "Find" and "Dictionary" support for ePub - I believe PDF was already that way. These finding are for all epub regardless of whether they have DRM or not. I am not sure about the B&N ePub DRM as I cannot purchase their ebooks being a Canadian resident.

Speaking of PDF - This new ADE reader software also gives PDF the "Text Flow on/off" feature which did not exist before .35?

Both ALP and JB w/.035a+ are using the same version ADE reader. I noticed that the version of the reader in defined in the manifest.xml as well as the xml file under the .adobe... file.

I hope this clears up a few things.

JLG432
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
My JB on purchase was at FW .34 I upgraded to .35a2 custom so I could have serif font while reading epub files. I ended up running the update 3 times before I understood how it was to be done. Each time the update ran right through w/o a hitch.

I will probably stay at this FW as B&N epub gives me no advantage at this time as I live in Canada. They sell only to US clients.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
dixieknits
Addict

I think you are right, but ....... my computer is not properly authorizing jetbook. I get the thumbnail and annotation file AFTER I try and open an ADE epub. I will have to start from scratch as nothing so far has worked. My library books expire Wednesday, next I'll be figuring how to strip the DRM..