Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #46
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The latest firmware has made the page turns on my EzReader (6") seem to be even faster and the one thing that was irriating about the older firmware is gone and that is the having to hit the 0 for the page forward serveral times for it to works is now a thing of the past.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #47
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Still have work to do but

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
The latest firmware has made the page turns on my EzReader (6") seem to be even faster and the one thing that was irriating about the older firmware is gone and that is the having to hit the 0 for the page forward serveral times for it to works is now a thing of the past.

Chuck
Dear All:

The factory is listening and I get a feeling from most com ments in many threads that the Firmware Upgrade helped a lot in many ways. It seems to be going over well on the whole.

We still have work to do. I keep hearing that once you take a hyperlink that returning may not be smooth. I will bring that up.

I also hear that the present font percentage sizes helped (100%. 200%, 250%, 300%, 350%) but it might have been nicer to have a 150%.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #48
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
I can confirm that the newest firmware (dated 2009-09-09) has resolved the issue with the lag after pressing the page turn button. Now I can go ahead and recommend the EZ Reader Pocket Pro to friends.
sweet, I'll get it today
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #49
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
I can confirm that the newest firmware (dated 2009-09-09) has resolved the issue with the lag after pressing the page turn button. Now I can go ahead and recommend the EZ Reader Pocket Pro to friends.
so how fast is it now?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #50
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

The factory is listening and I get a feeling from most com ments in many threads that the Firmware Upgrade helped a lot in many ways. It seems to be going over well on the whole.

We still have work to do. I keep hearing that once you take a hyperlink that returning may not be smooth. I will bring that up.

I also hear that the present font percentage sizes helped (100%. 200%, 250%, 300%, 350%) but it might have been nicer to have a 150%.
is there a "release notes" doc for what was fixed with the firmware upgrade? not sure if that is a private doc
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #51
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Personally I think that the second and third zoom levels, 200% and 250% I guess, are good but something right in between them would be perfect.

Frankly, I would be amazed if there was anybody who didn't think the first zoom level was way too small to be of any use.

What might be ideal is if we could set the base font size in settings, and then move through something like 100%, 150%, 200%, 250%, 300% within the reader.

I really like the less intrusive page numbers, and I can see the search being very handy.

ETA: I love that you guys are so responsive. That makes me feel that much better about my purchase.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #52
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thank you, Karate Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
Personally I think that the second and third zoom levels, 200% and 250% I guess, are good but something right in between them would be perfect.

Frankly, I would be amazed if there was anybody who didn't think the first zoom level was way too small to be of any use.

What might be ideal is if we could set the base font size in settings, and then move through something like 100%, 150%, 200%, 250%, 300% within the reader.

I really like the less intrusive page numbers, and I can see the search being very handy.

ETA: I love that you guys are so responsive. That makes me feel that much better about my purchase.
I try to make Astak and the factory and the MH members all work together. I view it as a win for all. Others will, I am sure, snicker at this. I look at the needs of the members leading to a better device which increases sales. For Astak and the factory to respond and really try to maximize a product will make you and others feel better about their purchase but will also make for a stronger product. I see the Pocket PRO as a landmark device... one that sets a new standard for a new size of eBook Readers. It will likely decide the future in eBook Readers for Astak. IF this truly sells and the rusted wheels of consumerism start to turn... Astak gets the respect of the factory and the purchasers get something that can sell by word of mouth without reservation!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #53
Egbert
Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Egbert has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aztak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
so how fast is it now?
A very unscientific estimate (done with a stopwatch in one hand and my reader in the other) puts it at about 1.1 seconds (when turning pages normally instead of doing it as fast as you can). Most of that (~.9 seconds) is the screen flashing to black and back and is the normal speed of the Epson controller, so it can't be "fixed". The other part is the very slight wait between pressing the button and the start of the screen refresh. It takes at least .75 seconds for my eyes to refocus back at the top right of the screen, so it's perfectly acceptable to me.
Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #54
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I just check the page turn speed for one of my pbooks. It was a little over 1 second.

Kennyc, make sure you're looking at www.theezreader.com and not www.theezreader.com/html. The look a lot alike but the www.theezreader.com/html does only have data for the 6".

Robert, y'all need to clean up your site to avoid confusion.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #55
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I just check the page turn speed for one of my pbooks. It was a little over 1 second.

Kennyc, make sure you're looking at www.theezreader.com and not www.theezreader.com/html. The look a lot alike but the www.theezreader.com/html does only have data for the 6".

Robert, y'all need to clean up your site to avoid confusion.
Yep, I found it and downloaded it in anticipation of my Pocket Pro's arrival.

They definitely need to clean up a few things (like that) on the site.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #56
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
I try to make Astak and the factory and the MH members all work together. I view it as a win for all.
Congrats for the fast firmware release RobertB! While I do criticize when I feel that criticism is needed, I appreciate it when a company takes the time to fix their products and improve them.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #57
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
A very unscientific estimate (done with a stopwatch in one hand and my reader in the other) puts it at about 1.1 seconds (when turning pages normally instead of doing it as fast as you can). Most of that (~.9 seconds) is the screen flashing to black and back and is the normal speed of the Epson controller, so it can't be "fixed". The other part is the very slight wait between pressing the button and the start of the screen refresh. It takes at least .75 seconds for my eyes to refocus back at the top right of the screen, so it's perfectly acceptable to me.
my stop watch used to time it at about 1.8 seconds, so it seems much better now, I still need to do the upgrade though, about to do that now
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #58
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
I see a firmware for the 5" dated 2009-09-10 ... I wonder if it is yet a newer firmware
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmmmm. Did the download but.....it's an RAR file. What??? is that? It says in the instructions it should be a Zip file??
Yes, I really dislike .rar. Not that there is anything wrong with it per se... but .ZIP is ubiquitous and supported natively by Windows and Mac and probably Linux.

That said, I highly recommend 7-Zip. It is free, open source software that supports ZIP, RAR, ISO and their on 7z format. http://www.7-zip.org/

The only downside is it is Windows only... wish they would port it to Mac too.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-11-2009 at 10:45 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 AM   #60
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I really dislike .rar. Not that there is anything wrong with it per-say... but .ZIP is ubiquitous and supported natively by Windows and Mac and probably Linux.

That said, I highly recommend 7-Zip. It is free, open source software that supports ZIP, RAR, ISO and their on 7z format. http://www.7-zip.org/

The only downside is it is Windows only... wish they would port it to Mac too.

BOb
Aye, I used to swear by WinZip, long ago. And for the last 7 years or more, I swore by PowerArchiver. It's a great utility that covers MANY formats, but it's share/trial. After 30 days, it still works, but the longer you use it past the time limit, the more you have to wait until you can extract... such as 5 seconds, 8 seconds, etc...It also became bloated.

I now swear by 7-zip. Great thing about it is that it integrates with your system menu and it a very small plugin. right-click the file, choose Extract To Here, and it extracts the file in it's current directory, no needing to actually open up the program.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote