Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Hi from Ereader Newbie

Hi guys,

I was researching about the ereaders and came across this community. What a cool site. I found lots of good reviews here. I am in the process of acquiring information for my soon to be first ereader. Right now I'm torn between the new Aztak 5" Pocket Pro and the new Sony prs 300. I've seen and read the review of the 300 but haven't really heard much of the Aztak since it isn't out yet other than that the old version which is presumably the Bebook (according to engadget) has lots of firmware problems. So I don't know. Maybe someone has inside information to help me? I only want something to read with and do not care about any other things like mp3 or dictionary or anything like that. The only attraction to the Ez reader at this point would be the expansion slot. But then again, I probably won't fill up the 300 either. Well, anyway..just wanna say Hi and introduce myself. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Happy Ereading!
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi superstitious and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 since Jan 08 and really like it. I'm going into the local Sony store later today to get my hands on the 300 and 600 and will let you know what I think.

And, like you, all I want is the reader; don't need dictionary, MP3 etc
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hi Superstitious and Welcome To Mobile Read!

You have the most adorable avatar!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Cassidym! Keep me posted on the 300. I might try to wait it out a little or until at least there's a review of the 5' Ez reader out there.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Welcome to MR. You are correct - it is a fabulous site with great people and info. I have a Kindle, and iTouch, and have ordered the Aztak pocket pro. Love my Kindle and the whole ereader convenience.

Some other things that you want to check out while you wait are Calibre (offered free by Kovid, a forum member) and ebooks from the public libraries if you live in the U.S.

Again, welcome and I hope you get your ereader very soon.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Got my hands on a 300 this afternoon. It's smaller than the 505 and,thus, a bit more portable and sells for $200. All in all, I prefer the 505 but the 300 does hold 300+ books compared to the 150+ with the 505. And it is more portable
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
superstitious
Addict

So what's your verdict Cassidym? Are you switching to 300 or maybe 600 later on? I have heard from people in the forum that Borders have them on display. I went to check it out and they didn't even have it on display yet. I'm bummed. Really wanna see how it looks in person.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Hey superstitious. Welcome. I've got a 505 and would highly recommend it (as well as the aforementioned software, calibre). I use the SD slot and can put all the books I have in my collection on it (currently ~ 600).

I'm also curious about the 300. I'm afraid the screen would be too small for my taste.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
superstitious
Addict

Is the 505 even still on sale? I didnt see it on the website anymore.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
Is the 505 even still on sale? I didnt see it on the website anymore.
I still see them at Target and Borders. You can even get them at Amazon.com. I think they're under $250 now (plus you get a $50 gift certificate to the Sony book store).
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
Hi guys,

I was researching about the ereaders and came across this community. What a cool site. I found lots of good reviews here. I am in the process of acquiring information for my soon to be first ereader. Right now I'm torn between the new Aztak 5" Pocket Pro and the new Sony prs 300. I've seen and read the review of the 300 but haven't really heard much of the Aztak since it isn't out yet other than that the old version which is presumably the Bebook (according to engadget) has lots of firmware problems. So I don't know. Maybe someone has inside information to help me? I only want something to read with and do not care about any other things like mp3 or dictionary or anything like that. The only attraction to the Ez reader at this point would be the expansion slot. But then again, I probably won't fill up the 300 either. Well, anyway..just wanna say Hi and introduce myself. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Happy Ereading!

I'm actually new here myself having spent the last month researching purchasing my first e-reader. I ordered a Sony PRS-505 from Frys.com Friday night and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. They have a special sale until September 3.

The Aztak Pocket Pro is supposed to start shipping this week (8/31). If you watch that forum, you should start to see some reviews once everyone starts to receive their orders.

You will learn a lot by reading the forums on this site and everyone is very helpful. Good luck with your search for the perfect ereader for you!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
Ridgeback63
Ridgeback63 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505 & PRS 600
Hello Superstitious
Ridgeback63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, superstitious!

You can definitely still get the 505, they even still have it on display at the Sony Style store. If I had to choose between the 300 and the 505, I would go with the 505. You can use an SD card with the 505 which is not available on the 300. Good luck with your decision.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote