Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
OpticBook 3600 on Mac or Linux

I've had an OpticBook 3600 for a few years, and really love it but since I switched to Mac it's been largely mothballed... I take it out from time to time but have to run the software through a virtual machine, etc etc. It's a pain in the butt.

Is there any way to use the software on a Mac or linux (through Wine maybe?)

I don't currently have Windows installed on any portable machine, and the OpticBook is such that I really need to bring the computer to IT.

Thanks!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Are you just looking for drivers, or do you specifically need to run the software that came with it?

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
kurochka
your neighbor
kurochka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 lost (if you found it, I hope you enjoy it); DX on preorder
If I am not mistaken, Optibook has a close tie-in between hardware, drivers, and scanning software. You just press a button (there are separate buttons for b/w, color, gray, and some options) on the scanner itself and it scans into the program. The program itself is very convenient. If there are drivers and alternative software for Linux that can read button presses from Optibook I would be interested too.
kurochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Looks like SANE doesn't support that scanner. <sad>

You'd have to try WINE, and be the test case. Sorry I can't help more.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

It's moot anyway. Scanner's lamp seems to be no longer functional. I emailed plustek days ago, but no response yet (I'm not really expecting one. As much as I like their scanner, the company seems a bit crap to me.)
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Blackguard
Enthusiast
Blackguard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
It's moot anyway. Scanner's lamp seems to be no longer functional. I emailed plustek days ago, but no response yet (I'm not really expecting one. As much as I like their scanner, the company seems a bit crap to me.)
Yep, I had the bulb die on me also. I would estimate about 50 hours of use over 1.5 years. Real shame. I considered purchasing another one, but then I decided to spend roughly the same amount of money and build a planetary (dual camera) system.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Plustek wouldn't even respond to my emails, either... so on that point alone I won't replace it. I'm pretty much done dealing with tech businesses that can't be bothered to support their products at all (I'm looking at you NullRiver).

I don't know if I have it in me to do the planetary system... how's it working for you? Do you have problems with shadows? Average time to scan a book?