Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What is your dream e-device?

All the talk about a next-gen Kindle had me thinking about my dream device. My first thought was 'an oversize iPod Touch' because I am loving the wireless aspect. It never occurred to me until I didn't have to do it anymore, just how annoying it is to want to read something and have to get out sync cables and plug things in!

The downside of the iPod Touch though is that some formats like PDF don't display, and Fictionwise, great though it might be, is still not as frugal as the Kindle store. So I guess my dream e-book device would be:

- A Kindle based on wi-fi, so it is useable outside the USA but still wireless
- As lightweight as possible
- Supports downloading backups to your PC or Mac
- Format support for Kindle PLUS Secure eReader, Regular eReader, Mobipocket, ePub and PDF
- Buy/download from any source with legit formats e.g. Kindle Store, Manybooks, Fictionwise

I do think a next-gen iPod Touch with a slightly larger screen might meet my needs in every respect except support for Kindle format and ability to buy those from my computer without needing a Kindle. But it will require more than one program---currently, all formats listed above except Kindle and Mobipocket can be read on the iPod Touch, but one needs different programs, and it is tedious to think about 'oh, I want to read such and such book, which program is it formatted for?' So I have gotten rid of Stanza and for now am reading only Fictionwise and Manybooks documents in eReader. I would like mobipocket suport for my public library's e-book collection, and I would like GOOD pdf so I can read off scribd.

I guess my main issue with Amazon is that you cannot buy it outside the USA. A wi-fi based version would work for me and I admit, I might cave on such a gizmo even though I already have two e-book readers (eBookwise and iPod Touch) because the Kindle store is so cheap.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
A reader that can wirelessly buy books from anywhere. I'd like to see a universal ebook format, also checkout ebooks from any library
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I want a dual-screen folding device with screens approaching A4 and "hugging the edges". I want lots of storage space and a file/folder based ebook manager which supports arbitrary collections and keyword/tag/category and other filters. A couple of cardslots. No touchscreen but conveniently placed buttons which take into consideration left and right handed people. Don't need annotation, so don't try to force in a keyboard. Be sparse with the buttons. Dictionary lookup would be nice.

I don't really care for wireless connection, I'm fine with it behaving like a USB storage device and charging at the same time. Long-lasting battery life. Should support at least plain text, HTML, PDF, epub, and I mean support (not in the Sony "we support PDF - sort of" way). The OS should of course be linux-based and open to a bit of tinkering.

No messing around with audio players that eat battery life, I already have an ipod. Who doesn't.

I'm not asking for much, really

Last edited by acidzebra; 11-30-2008 at 06:29 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
My dream device has a roughly 10.5 inch, flexible eInk display that can collapse down much like the Readius. Additionally there would have WiFi support and even a basic web browser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
No messing around with audio players that eat battery life, I already have an ipod. Who doesn't.
I don't. Or rather I do, but it hasn't been used since I purchased my first smart phone.
Dylrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
A fully working HTML and RTF reader software.......
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
All the talk about a next-gen Kindle had me thinking about my dream device. My first thought was 'an oversize iPod Touch' because I am loving the wireless aspect.
For me, I'm thinking of a device along the lines of an imagined Macbook Touch. That is, let's say a 8-9" screen factor, thin, keyboardless, iPod-Touch-y in looks, stylus, handwriting recognition, running OS X, with a large SSD. It would be my use-all-the-time device (replacing my Fujitsu P7120), and desirably have some kind of "dock" at home on my desk, where I'd have a full-size keyboard, or some means of attaching to its other keyboarded half to clamshell like a normal laptop if wanted. Alternatively, there was an Apple patent that applied to sliding/docking a small "Macbook"-like device into the side of a large monitor at home (that looked like their Cinema Display) - using the monitor as a "dock" - and thus having your "big screen, keyboard and mouse" at home, but a smallish device while on the go.

Note, I'm saying "Apple", because that's the way this household is heading. If it wasn't, I'd be hoping for something along similar lines to the above. Also, 8-9" is the kind of size I'd be happy to carry most anywhere I'd take any device.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I hope Apple never makes an ebook reader.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...cbook-near-you
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I guess mine would be like a Sony PRS-505, but with the page flipping bar of the Iliad.
Also a pagesize of between 1024x720 to 1366 x 768 pix, that'd be 7-8" screen I guess.
Support of PDF, TXT, 97/2000 DOC, RTF, chm, djvu and perhaps some documents like lrf, and mobi.
Web browser abilities (wireless or via USB) reading and automatically updating of subscribed RSS feeds,internal antenna for radio FM/AM/MW/LW.

A clock and date indicator on the bottom while reading, calendar, agenda, touchscreen, and some basic games and programs would be nice, like a drawing pad software (like paint for touchscreen), clock screen saver, power down (deep sleep) mode.

4GB internal space, and 2x2000+mAh batteries.
SD card reader, good powersave functions,extremely flat and thin, small bezel (border) around the screen (of less than 0,7cm).

PRS-505's silver coating, with rubber for better hand grip.

Lots of Optional stuff, like a hand driven small generator with internal battery for powering up and charging the reader, replaceable batteries, deluxe case (like a DVD box fits the PRS-505.

Backlit screen would be nice (to have a semi transparent matte screen with a few leds on the background that emit their light through the white plastic background).
Also, tough transparent plastic screen instead of a glass one.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
Paperbook sized
300dpi
Built in reading light of some kind.
... that'll do me!
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
cybook gen 3 with full folder support and flexible e-ink display, so no more worries about harming the glass screen.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #11
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
a device that has 2 displays looking like a book (much as the XO2) with eInk technology that is fast.

As input I want to have either a pen, but without the infamous WACOM gap. Or be able to use a finger, and such the device as itself as keyboard just like in the XO2 demos. However I want another layer above or beneth the display that can simulate pressure sensitivity. Like small bubbles or small pins from underneath, so you can really press it down on the one end, and feel the dispaly settings while going over with the finger.

wireless capabilities are today so self evident IMHO I don't think I need to wish for :-)

I'm ready to pay quite more than 1.000,- Euro for it (2.000,- would be limit), so all this "but I want this cheap" endavour the mobilereading theme often is, doesn't count for me.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
My dream device?
An iLiad/DR1000 for 10$, no matter what version of it...

;-)
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...cbook-near-you
All you need is an HD Fury to get that HDCP content to any device. In Apple's defense (and I can't believe I'm defending Apple) HDCP is required by MPAA for HD content. If the MPAA has it's way all HD content would be encrypted that way. 20 million HDTVs would be rendered useless (including one of mine) unless you went the HD Fury route.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic....
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Me dream device would be a foldable color eInk display capable of displaying 8-1/2"x11" without margins, read any format with or without DRM, WiFi combined with cellular internet, easy access to all ebook stores, built in dictionary, ability to edit ebooks (both text and metadata) on the fly, excellent filing system (folders by author and genre), extended battery life, lightweight, and a built-in light.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Actually they did at one time. The Newton was a pretty good eBook reader in its day.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote